Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a cycle computer

• 01-09-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hey all,

Seems my Aldi (or was it Lidl?) cycle computer has given up the ghost so think its time to purchase. Kinda regretting not jumping on that Edge bandwagon now!

Anyway, had a look on the web and the choice is huge. Seems I can get one doing the basics for 20 quid easy enough. Any recommendations on a good choice?

Also, they can range a lot in price. Any real benefit in spending a bit more or am I going to be wishing I bought one with a bit more functionality a month down the road?

Would appreciate peoples thoughts.

Doc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I guess depends on your experience, what you want it for, etc...

I've only started cycling and got a Cateye Velo 8, all I could really need at the moment to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

i also started cycling recently and got a Cateye Velo Wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Get a Garmin. Here is the cheapest for on the bike.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=90675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I guess depends on your experience, what you want it for, etc...

I've only started cycling and got a Cateye Velo 8, all I could really need at the moment to be honest.

I bought two LIDL's Procycle F20s some time ago because of the large numbers and both are performing well. Velo 8 seems to be of similar size.

Avoid the wireless models if you want to calibrate the wheel size for greatest accuracy. I use a bar-mounted GPS for that and its proximity can interfere with wireless models. I worked out a procedure for minimising errors that gets me to an accuracy of +/-0.02k per 100km. Sad I know, but that's just me. It gives me something to calculate on the quieter moments of long rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭dub 24

I have the wired cateye 5 which is great,the only thing it doesn't have is a timer function.the cateye 8 does have this function and is worth the extra 3 or 4 euor over the 5 on CRC and by the way they are seling it for 15.99 euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Cheers people for the feedback.

Raam, as I'm a sucker for gadgets and the like can you elaborate why I should get the Garmin? Guess I'm here really wondering if someone is going to convince me I should spend more than the e20/30 for the basic speedometer.

Also, do people really think wired is the way to go? Would prefer a wireless for convenience. Surely there can't be much difference?

Doc.

All the Garmins will be wireless. It's fuss free for setup. You turn it on and away you go. All your rides are logged and you can upload em to the interwebz or whatever application you may have on your computer.

You can use em as a training aid also, by setting up programs.

I've had cateyes in the past, they did a job for me. Then I got a Garmin. I'd never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

As the Garmin is GPS, I presume it won't give an accurate instantaneous speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Make sure it records Max Speed!! Just spent 25 on a new wireless VDO speedo and nobody will believe I hit 65kph on Howth Hill last weekend!

As the Garmin is GPS, I presume it won't give an accurate instantaneous speed?

I dunno how accurate or instant it is. It's not critical so I don't think that it matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

If your going with the Garmin keep in mind that unlike the Edge 500 the Edge 200 have removed wireless capability so there's no capacity for heart rate, cadence or power output.

AFAIK the cheapest place is handytech:

http://www.handtec.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=edge+500&submit=search+for+products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

cat eye, from chain reaction cycles is good, you dont need the wireless ones but read the instructions, those lidl aldi ones are rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Be careful with some of the cheaper Cat Eyes. On advice from the guy (halfwit) in my lbs I bought a Cateye Vectra wireless last year and quickly realised it did not have a timer or show average speed. If you are training for/taking part in sportives this becomes a real problem. I ended upgrading to a Polar CS100. It allows tracking of heart rate and cadence. I found heart rate particularly useful for training.

On the wireless question, both computers are wireless and work faultlessly.

Advertisement