Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public V Private school

• 01-09-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Whats your Opinion on whether public or private schools are better?

I believe that Private would be better because the other students are more likely to be motivated and want to learn. However, I also believe that most of the better teachers would be in the Public Schools.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, lord, this debate again!! :(

Firstly, define your terms ... far more schools in Ireland are technically private than are normally referred to as such.

So when you ask are private or public schools better, what did you mean by these terms?
    Um, not sure if we're at cross-purposes again (seems to be happening me in several threads to-night, which would suggest it's probably my fault!)

I meant that as grind schools are only a subset of private schools, I tend to avoid referring to them as "private schools", as it confuses.

Strictly speaking, the only public schools (in the American rather than the UK sense) are the vocational schools, community schools and a small number of comprehensives.

Secondary schools, or voluntary secondary schools as they are technically known, are owned and managed by private organisations, incl. religious communities, and as such are technically private schools, albeit day-to-day expenses are almost entirely covered by the state. Include here the local CBS, convent school, etc. etc.

A small number of these are fee-paying, and it is these which are generally referred to as "private schools" in conversation and even in the media, even though the category is wider as we saw above. Gonzaga, Clongowes, Kilkenny College, King's Hospital, Wesley, etc. are in this (sub)category. They do get some funding from the state, mainly teacher's salaries, but a much smaller proportion than other voluntary secondaries, and use the fees to provide additional teaching staff, facilities, etc. Ironically, in the UK these would be called "Public Schools"!

Confused yet? :D

And the final (sub)category of private schools are ofc the grinds schools like IoE, Yeats, Hewitt, etc.

Which is why I try to avoid using the term "private schools" for the last sub-category, as it tends to make sense to some and confuse others completely!!

(If you're banging your head against a wall at this point, I'm not picking up the medical bills! :P :D)

Please feel free to PM me to close this thread at any time ... >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

private;)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Well, I went to what would technically be considered a 'private' school, in that they recieve a small amount of funding from the government and ask for a voluntary contribution of €500 per year (that isn't really voluntary).
    And from what I've seen, I can honestly say, that in comes down to the student. If somebody is motivated to learn, it won't matter if their school is falling down around them, or if the teachers are crap, they'll still learn and they'll still do well. However, there is always a certain element who will do less than nothing for six years in a 'private' school, and their parents will wonder why they didn't get into college.

Sure, the availability of resources matters somewhat, but in the grand scheme of things, there isn't a definite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Well points on average are probably higher in private schools I would assume so private schools.(I went to a public community college)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Closed at OP's request.

(I wasn't actually being all that serious, but in fairness, this topic has been done to death on this forum, and quite recently too ... we're not really due for another big argument about it just yet!)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement