Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 01-09-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking to change careers I've decided I'd like to learn graphic/web design, I don't hold any primary degree and am looking for a course too get some Certs and hopefully get employment I'm based in Galway. Would it be worth my while even doing a graphic design plc course or a fas web design course? Which would be more beneficial. Feel time is running out for me now as I just turned 30 and want too get stuck into this now. Would really appreciate any guidance or help anyone in the know could give me!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi,

I did a FAS web design course a few years ago, purely out of interest.

I didn't learn anything about design really, but I did learn how to use packages such as photoshop, dreamweaver and flash. For a finish I wasn't really interested in designing websites so I didn't go any further with web design.

I am currently studying graphic design and illustration online, it's a better match for me as i'm interested in typography and using traditional tools for designing, the photoshop skills I already learnt are certainly helpful, Illustrator and InDesign are also used.

I guess you need to decide what you want to do first, web design or graphic design. The only way you will find out is to start doing a few short courses.

I don't see age as a factor, i'm mid thirties, drive, determination, good work ethic and your ability to see where you want to be in 5 years is more important.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Thanks for your reply, I've just been accepted on this graphic design PLC course http://www.galwaycc.ie/gcc_plc/pros/GCC%20PLC%20Prospectus.pdf but it looks more like a portfolio prep course for university? I was told they use some photoshop and web design also but I have heard diff stories from people saying you could spend the day drawing an flower!

I just don't want to be wasting my time but if it's something that's worthwhile doing then maybe I should just do it, it starts in week I just don't know if I'd be better doing the fas web design course or a course at BLT in Dublin? They have professional accreditiations but as I'm a complete beginner i think I might be jumping head first into something I wouldn't be able for? I want too do something which uses more software so I'm more employable. What do you think?

FlashD wrote: »
    Hi,

I did a FAS web design course a few years ago, purely out of interest.

I didn't learn anything about design really, but I did learn how to use packages such as photoshop, dreamweaver and flash. For a finish I wasn't really interested in designing websites so I didn't go any further with web design.

I am currently studying graphic design and illustration online, it's a better match for me as i'm interested in typography and using traditional tools for designing, the photoshop skills I already learnt are certainly helpful, Illustrator and InDesign are also used.

I guess you need to decide what you want to do first, web design or graphic design. The only way you will find out is to start doing a few short courses.

Also where do you do these online courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi,

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I had a look at that PDF, fairly big :D but not much in the line of information, you probably need to ring and see what the story is.

The online school I am involved with is

http://www.idesigni.co.uk/

Its a UK based school affiliated with UK university. Online suits me as i'm living and working in Asia plus i'm not surrounded by 'kids' 15 years younger :D There are a number of different courses, I guess in your case, I would take note of Interactive Media Design (web) or Graphic Design. If you get in touch with them they will contact you by phone.

There should be evening courses starting up in Galway in Sept/Oct (FAS & VEC) keep your eye on the advertiser or ring them. Maybe try your hand at a few, see which you have a better feel for...web or graphic.

I'd start checking out what both careers entail and how they are different, id start doing some searches on youtube and across the net to compare and contrast both careers.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 redlemon.ie

You could do a crash course in graphic design. I did a course here in dublin over three weekends. 6 hours a day and I leared illustrator, photoshop and indesign. Then I worked for a design company for some experience (for very little pay). Its not the norm but It worked for me.

EDIT: Cutting out fake signiature.

• Advertisement

You could do a crash course in graphic design. I did a course here in dublin over three weekends. 6 hours a day and I leared illustrator, photoshop and indesign. Then I worked for a design company for some experience (for very little pay). Its not the norm but It worked for me.

EDIT: Cutting out fake signiature.

Can you tell me where you done this crash course pls?

Advertisement