Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious - mortgage approval

Options
  • 01-09-2011 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

I have got my house last month, when I went looking for a mortgage ( after having sold my house ) I went to the EBS who I had my original mortgage with, a few thing (1) I have a perfect credit record (2) I have a permanent job for the pat 11 years (3) I had a large deposit and saving. I wasn't looking for huge multiplies of my income or a huge mortgage

The EBS turned me down and I got the mortgage from KBC with no problem.

The woman in my local EBS office could not give me an explication except to say that' head office' were turning down lots of applications and that she was getting new guidelines revising down wards the amounts people could get on a mortgage.

My question is how come it was different for KBC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have got my house last month, when I went looking for a mortgage ( after having sold my house ) I went to the EBS who I had my original mortgage with, a few thing (1) I have a perfect credit record (2) I have a permanent job for the pat 11 years (3) I had a large deposit and saving. I wasn't looking for huge multiplies of my income or a huge mortgage

The EBS turned me down and I got the mortgage from KBC with no problem.

The woman in my local EBS office could not give me an explication except to say that' head office' were turning down lots of applications and that she was getting new guidelines revising down wards the amounts people could get on a mortgage.

My question is how come it was different for KBC?

I'm not sure but I think KBC aren't state owned, EBS are. EBS must be terrified at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KBC have offered riskier loans in the past, not quite at the sub-prime level, but certainly riskier. I think they have also been active in repossession.

Many of the other banks don't have money to loan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah I'm chasing a mortgage at the minute (but not looking hopeful despite 50% deposit) and the mortgage advisor said that EBS are currently being merged with (I think) AIB? So they don't know what they can offer at the minute as they are in the middle of major changes.

Advertisement