Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions On These Bikes

• 01-09-2011 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have been looking for a second hand bike online now for the last week or so and can't find anything decent at the right price so have decided to go new.

The bike will mainly be used for the road but would like the option of being able to take it off road too.

This is what I'm looking at:

Apollo Slant 20"
    Apollo Phaze 20"

I'm leaning towards the Apollo Phaze at the moment as it looks like a whole lot more of a bike for an extra €50.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Keep saving and buy a decent second hand bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

trad wrote: »
    Keep saving and buy a decent second hand bike.

First time back on a bike in years so not interested in spending big money. Was originally planning spending about €100 on a used bike but couldn't find anything half-ways decent for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

If you're gonna be using it on the road make sure you get something with a front suspension lockout or you'll be wasting energy with the bobbing of the suspension.. not much but still...

I haven't had a bad experience with Apollos although others feel differently. I bought a CX-10 hybrid 6 years ago for commuting, and its still going strong. Very few problems. Maybe I was lucky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The bike will mainly be used for the road but would like the option of being able to take it off road too.

It would be grand for fire roads and tow paths, not for yer red trails and the like. You'd wreck it in no time and possibly yourself too, those forks wouldn't be up to it and I reckon that seat post would last five minutes.

There's an Apollo hybrid available, brown, no suspension, straight forks. I'd be looking at that one, perfect for cycling about the roads and sturdy enough for light off road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    First time back on a bike in years so not interested in spending big money. Was originally planning spending about €100 on a used bike but couldn't find anything half-ways decent for that money.

Been there, done that.

I bought a Carrera subway II for €200 here or on adverts and it got my legs turning, ended up spending €700 on a Boardman. I sold the carrera for about €180 and it was a fine bike. Just keep watching the ads.

• Advertisement

studiorat wrote: »
    It would be grand for fire roads and tow paths, not for yer red trails and the like. You'd wreck it in no time and possibly yourself too, those forks wouldn't be up to it and I reckon that seat post would last five minutes.

There's an Apollo hybrid available, brown, no suspension, straight forks. I'd be looking at that one, perfect for cycling about the roads and sturdy enough for light off road.

As I said it would mostly be for road use and fire roads around Ticknock would probably be the height of the off road use. I've a lot of weight to loose before I could attempt serious trials. I really want to pick up something this week so any links to suitable second hands would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

keep looking there are better models on the market

aindriu80 wrote: »
    keep looking there are better models on the market

Can you provide links to same? I really have no idea where to begin. For me the bikes in Halfords look good and are reasonably priced. Overall impression I get here is they're not up to much. I could put up a thousand bikes and you could still tell me to keep looking!

How about telling me what bikes are good - keeping in mind I've a max budget of €250 be it new or used.

Thanks.

Advertisement