Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football clubs for 5-6 yr old ??

• 01-09-2011 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Hi , my 5 year old son is mad into sports and loves the football i told him i would get him into a club so he can train and have a kick about with others , has anyone a idea of clubs or what way to get him involved ? Preferably it would be close to gracedieu area where we live but not essential ,
    cheers for any help . :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I have very fond memories of playing for Villa football club since I was about 7, I'm not sure if they have groups for 5 year old but I'd say they do.

Located in Poleberry, just at the back of Garveys pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Bohemians FC based also in Poleberry do a kids academy on Sat mornings and take kids from 5yrs on. However there academy takes place in Waterpark Astroturf Pitch, not in Poleberry, and is due to start this Sat 3rd Sept. Info in Waterford today says that some kids have registered but there are spaces available so just go along on the Sat 3rd and register then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I must look into them thanks . Are they usually on early in the morning ye ? he use to do hurling it was on at 12 sat mornings , kind of suited if i had to work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

jo06555 wrote: »
    I must look into them thanks . Are they usually on early in the morning ye ? he use to do hurling it was on at 12 sat mornings , kind of suited if i had to work .

Not 100% sure but I think the Bohs one starts at 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BTID FICKLE

Hi , my 5 year old son is mad into sports and loves the football i told him i would get him into a club so he can train and have a kick about with others , has anyone a idea of clubs or what way to get him involved ? Preferably it would be close to gracedieu area where we live but not essential ,

Bohemians Academy starts Sat 3rd.It starts at 9.15-10.30

• Advertisement

Bohemians Academy starts Sat 3rd.It starts at 9.15-10.30

Are their any on Sundays or all on Saturday mornings? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Villa on Newtown school are brilliant (although my young lad packed it in, I thought it looked real good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of playing for Villa football club since I was about 7, I'm not sure if they have groups for 5 year old but I'd say they do.

Located in Poleberry, just at the back of Phil Grimes pub.

ya mean garveys pub ,theres just a car park at the back of phil grimes and phil grimes is in johnstown not poleberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

anplaya wrote: »
    ya mean garveys pub ,theres just a car park at the back of phil grimes and phil grimes is in johnstown not poleberry.

Yes sorry I always get them mixed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bohs or Villa would be good bets. If he has any interest in rugby, Waterford City RFC are running mini camps for kids. No harm in bringing him out to have a run about if he's interested in rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

De La Salle on the johns park/airport road have loads of kids teams including my nephew. From what I hear from my nephew and his dad, the coaches down there are excellent. Football should be fun, especially at that age, he will make friends where ever he goes. Why not have a little scout around yourself before bringing him to one, say it to the person in charge down there, otherwise, it could look a bit dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

DE LA SALLE in kingfisher is excellent. all qualified coaches. numbers not as big for that age group as compared to villa/bohs.

its on saturday from 0930-1030

as for sunday morings , as far as i know the rugby is on then

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

Hi - I would recommend Villa's academy, which takes place @ 9.30am every Saturday on the astro pitch in Newtown School. Very good set up and kids well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Max Powers wrote: »
    De La Salle on the johns park/airport road have loads of kids teams including my nephew. From what I hear from my nephew and his dad, the coaches down there are excellent. Football should be fun, especially at that age, he will make friends where ever he goes. Why not have a little scout around yourself before bringing him to one, say it to the person in charge down there, otherwise, it could look a bit dodgy

+1 for De La Salle

My young lad (13) is there and loves it. The thing about here is every child gets a chance. The likes of Bohs and Villa are very competitive. An example my lads team played the Villa the other night but after the game the Villa manager had his team out on the pitch for about 15 minutes warming down - under14 for God's sake!

He was at Bohs but I took him out of there because it's a case of who you know there that determines whether they get a game or not

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Max Powers wrote: »

+1 for De La Salle

My young lad (13) is there and loves it. The thing about here is every child gets a chance. The likes of Bohs and Villa are very competitive. An example my lads team played the Villa the other night but after the game the Villa manager had his team out on the pitch for about 15 minutes warming down - under14 for God's sake!

He was at Bohs but I took him out of there because it's a case of who you know there that determines whether they get a game or not

Interesting as I was going to go to villa or bohs but had taught it would be very busy, my 5 yr old is in mount soon school so playing soccer at de la salle may not best for him would it??? (School rivalry and all that maybe) ?

Interesting as I was going to go to villa or bohs but had taught it would be very busy, my 5 yr old is in mount soon school so playing soccer at de la salle may not best for him would it??? (School rivalry and all that maybe) ?

Not really connected to the school so I wouldnt worry about that

Dont get me wrong Villa and Bohs are excellent clubs but they are more results driven than most other clubs

jimbojazz wrote: »

Not really connected to the school so I wouldnt worry about that

Dont get me wrong Villa and Bohs are excellent clubs but they are more results driven than most other clubs

Ye he only starting out he loves playing football but id rather ease him into it lightly, de la salle is located at kingfisher is it ye?

Ye he only starting out he loves playing football but id rather ease him into it lightly, de la salle is located at kingfisher is it ye?

From their Facebook page:

"The Academy is on Saturday at 9.30 at the Kingfisher Centre for players between 6 and 10 years old. All new boys and girls welcome."

The academy is down there but the main pitch is located on the grounds behing Pat McCarthy's garage in John's Park.

This is their website and there should be phone numbers on it

http://www.delasallefc.com/

Advertisement