Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse on front of N&S paper/Ireland

• 01-09-2011 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Horrible pictures of a horse which died from exhaustion on the paper. The horse was left to die in a public place, where kids where playing and it was being eaten by dogs.
    I previously read in a local paper about a horse that had to be put down, it was found in a field with a broken leg caused by being 'ridden to hard' in what I think is called a 'trap' commonly used by the 'travelling community'.
    • Why are these horses allowed on the road?
    • Why dont they pay road tax?
    • Are they licenced?
    • Im pretty sure you need to own land to have horses?
    • Im pretty sure having a 12 year old on the road in charge of one is hightly dangerous and illegal.
    • Why dont those in charge put down these horses left in someone else's property humanely?
    • Has anyone seen these people stopped by the Gardai
    We all know who is responsible yet those in charge look the other way or dont give a $hit. Its systematic of a government and police force who would rather take the easy option. Until we as a country tackle this and our other problems head on, we are destined to live as some sort of backwards society where illegailty is fine for some, therby corrupting the general population into thinking the law is not there to be obeyed.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »
    • Why are these horses allowed on the road?

Because they are, its not against the law for a horse to be a on a standard road as long as they obey the rules of the road.
    [*]Why dont they pay road tax?

No of course they don't pay road tax, nobody else pays road tax either in Ireland.

You do however pay MOTOR tax, as the horse trap does not have a motor however such a tax would not apply to it.
    [*]Are they licenced?

This side of things I'm not sure of tbh, I don't believe they have to be registered with anybody.
    [*]Im pretty sure you need to own land to have horses?

No idea where your getting this from, so you believe there is a law that means you must own land to own a horse? Nonsense.

Again as long as they have access to space for the horse and they are not breaking the law I see no issue, they could be simply renting the land for example.

[*]Im pretty sure having a 12 year old on the road in charge of one is hightly dangerous and illegal.

Likely is alight I'd say, depends on the situation though..
    I'm sure the Gardai would be best to address this

Bottom line is both travellers and non-travellers are more the capable of doing what can only be described as evil things to animals, the law either does nothing about these people or gives them a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Dreadful picture sorry for the way these animals are treated, maybe it's just me but I think it's just lazy journalism to just throw that out there front of newspaper to get a reaction. We know damn well how certain members of a particular community treat animals, and to be honest shouldn't be allowed to have any in the first place !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Travellers are above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Cabaal wrote: »
    Because they are, its not against the law for a horse to be a on a standard road as long as they obey the rules of the road.

No of course they don't pay road tax, nobody else pays road tax either in Ireland.

You do however pay MOTOR tax, as the horse trap does not have a motor however such a tax would not apply to it.

This side of things I'm not sure of tbh, I don't believe they have to be registered with anybody.

No idea where your getting this from, so you believe there is a law that means you must own land to own a horse? Nonsense.

Again as long as they have access to space for the horse and they are not breaking the law I see no issue, they could be simply renting the land for example.

Likely is alight I'd say, depends on the situation though..
    I'm sure the Gardai would be best to address this

Bottom line is both travellers and non-travellers are more the capable of doing what can only be described as evil things to animals, the law either does nothing about these people or gives them a slap on the wrist.

Done a lil search there, Under the Control of Horses Act 1996, you do need a licence for a horse, one per horse in fact. Other stuff in act says
    The horse must be micro-chipped (i presume similar to dogs), it is legal to ride them on roads under certain conditions and if over 16.
    Members of the Gardai and authorised persons from your local authority have the right to seize and detain your horse if they suspect that your horse is:
    • a stray
    • causing a nuisance
    • being mistreated
    • not under adequate control
    • posing a threat to other people or property
    • posing a threat to the health and welfare of other people and animals
    • not identifiable or capable of being identified
    • in need of veterinary attention and is unlikely to receive this care
    • in an area/kept in an area/being ridden/driven in an area where it is not allowed by your local authority
    • kept in a local authority Control Area without a licence.
    Its clear that few to none of these laws are being followed by the travelling community and the Gardai arent doing anything about it. Yes, non-travellers can be cruel to animals too. I see far less about the larger population mistreating animals. I find it hard to comprehend that the council could issue a licence to someone who wanted to keep horses but didnt have land (owning or renting) to keep them on. I dont see anything in the legislation detailing that. I was pretty sure that you had to have a certain amount of land per horse, maybe that was an animal rights guideline or a UK law to avoid chicken battery style keeping of horses, it makes sense in fairness.

Advertisement