Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing Gears - Shimano Soras

• 01-09-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Been out of the saddle for a long while, gearing up to head out on Saturday. Getting the trusty steed back up to scratch and would like to address what I guess is a common fault with STI type gear shifters.

Essentially, the gears are less responsive than before - I'll tap the brake to shift down a gear, and there'll be a whirring/clinking at the derailer, but nothing will happen. I'll tap the brake again and it'll shift down, though it might skip a sprocket and drop two gears at once. Same thing going up, takes a couple of clicks with my thumb to get the chain moving.

I'm pretty sure that you can fine-tune the transitions but I'm not sure how...anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brians947

TelePaul wrote: »
    Hey all,

Been out of the saddle for a long while, gearing up to head out on Saturday. Getting the trusty steed back up to scratch and would like to address what I guess is a common fault with STI type gear shifters.

Essentially, the gears are less responsive than before - I'll tap the brake to shift down a gear, and there'll be a whirring/clinking at the derailer, but nothing will happen. I'll tap the brake again and it'll shift down, though it might skip a sprocket and drop two gears at once. Same thing going up, takes a couple of clicks with my thumb to get the chain moving.

I'm pretty sure that you can fine-tune the transitions but I'm not sure how...anybody have any ideas?

I had issues with my sora as well and i replaced the cables with pre lubed cables and worked a treat. Gears changing smoothly now just need a little tweak as i to am getting back on the bike after 18 years of it. Itching to get back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

TelePaul wrote: »
    Hey all,

As already mentioned, it may be an issue with the cables sticking, especially when you say you've been out of the saddle for some time. If this is the case, then you may need to replace them. However, if you want to see can acceptable performance be gotten without spending (not that it should be that expensive), have a read of this guide, paying particular attention to the section entitled "Checking the Rear Indexing Adjustment." It does sound a lot like cable stickiness though, as usually a cable tension issue will be more of a "one-way" thing. For example, insufficient tension means you have issues shifting to bigger rings, but you should be able to drop down easily enough, possibly even overshooting, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Lads, just a quick thanks for all the info. I had a go at re-tensioning the cables at the derailer but hadn't much luck. Not to worry though, the bike needs a full service and I was just trying to get things in order before taking it for a spin. As it happens, I had a blast, will be heading out again soon. Might even think about replacing the trusty steed with something a little better! :)

Advertisement