Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to Cill chiarain

Options
  • 01-09-2011 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

A Dublin friend of mine might be moving to Cill Chiarain soon and they were asking me about the place, but I know very little about it.
    they would prefer to live out there rather than Galway city given the commute.

is it easy to get accomodation there?
    where would the nearest supermarkets be?
    are there gyms anywhere nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Fuinseog wrote: »
    A Dublin friend of mine might be moving to Cill Chiarain soon and they were asking me about the place, but I know very little about it.
    they would prefer to live out there rather than Galway city given the commute.

is it easy to get accomodation there?
    where would the nearest supermarkets be?
    are there gyms anywhere nearby?

I can't answer the accomodation question, but the closest supermarket would be in Clifden, same with the gym.

Although there is a shop in the village for the basics, if your friend was to do a weekly shopping, you'd want to tell them Clifden is nearly an hour away from Cill Chiarain, just incase that might be a factor for them, especially if they want to access the gym on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Pretty unspolit place but over an hour drive from Galway city, no Gym. Many nice walks and some beaches and fishing nearby good for Summer but v quiet in winter would suit a writer or artist. A pub/bistro (was a second one but shut last year) small local supermarket there and one in next village about 7 miles away in Carna, Roundstone is about 10 miles further on. The village Is in the heart of the Gaeltacht and Irish would be the normally used daily language of most living there. I'd say you'd have to ask around locally for a cottage to rent, it should be possible especially off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

saabsaab wrote: »
    Pretty unspolit place but over an hour drive from Galway city, no Gym. Many nice walks and some beaches and fishing nearby good for Summer but v quiet in winter would suit a writer or artist. A pub/bistro (was a second one but shut last year) small local supermarket there and one in next village about 7 miles away in Carna, Roundstone is about 10 miles further on. The village Is in the heart of the Gaeltacht and Irish would be the normally used daily language of most living there. I'd say you'd have to ask around locally for a cottage to rent, it should be possible especially off season.

I'm from Kilkerrin and the above advice is spot on!
    There is a gym in the station house hotel in clifden which is about half an hour away. Tho there is a zumba class starting in the hall next week :) Clifden also has an aldi lidl and supervalu. There is one suermarket in kilkerrin and a petrol station and three other shops in carna.

It can be pretty boring in winter the weather can get wild. nightlife is great ( i may be a little biased! but the craic is great and there is a big population of younger people (at the weekend anyway)

The best thing to do is to check all the shops for notices regarding accomadation also ask the shopkeepers they know who is renting but has no sign up. pm me for any other info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

I can't answer the accomodation question, but the closest supermarket would be in Clifden, same with the gym.

Although there is a shop in the village for the basics, if your friend was to do a weekly shopping, you'd want to tell them Clifden is nearly an hour away from Cill Chiarain, just incase that might be a factor for them, especially if they want to access the gym on a regular basis.

just read the last of your post. clifden isnt that far unless you get stuck behind a slow tourist!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

much obliged for all responses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement