Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina to Castlebar by public transport

Options
  • 01-09-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I need to get to Castlebar from Ballina once every 2 weeks, arriving around 9, leaving around 5.

Does anyone know if there are any private buses doing this route?

Bus Eireann seems to stop at every hole in the hedge, although the express service seems to not stop in Castlebar.

I'm thinking taxis could be expensive.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Try the train, you would have to change in Manulla to get the connecting train to Castlebar but it would be much more comfortable than the bus. Just depends on if the times would suit you. Check out http://www.irishrail.ie for times etc

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭eamonn4321

Good idea, thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't depart til 10am.

The bus takes an hour and stops everywhere.

The intercity bus to Galway goes thru Castlebar but doesn't stop.

Will try to find a local private service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

eamonn4321 wrote: »
    Good idea, thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't depart til 10am.

The bus takes an hour and stops everywhere.

The intercity bus to Galway goes thru Castlebar but doesn't stop.

Will try to find a local private service.
    I am sure if you ask the driver he will let you off at a safe spot.

Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that is the norm on that route? I would not like to be stuck on the bus til Claremorris.

Also, its one thing to get them to let you out, but for pick up on the way back if its not official - I imagine not.

Could try it out I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

eamonn4321 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Do you happen to know if that is the norm on that route? I would not like to be stuck on the bus til Claremorris.

Also, its one thing to get them to let you out, but for pick up on the way back if its not official - I imagine not.

Could try it out I suppose!

i havent taken the bus in years. picking you up on the way back could be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Public Transport in Mayo... Restraining myself here.

We may have a taoiseach from here, but its done nothing for Public Transport.

You really need a Car to live in Mayo. Sad but there is no real local transport worth a damn. its sporadic at best.

There is good Train and Bus services to Dublin.. But if you want to go to castlebar don't expect a bus every 20 mins, there isn't the demographic or the demand.

If you don't have a car. Take a taxi, there are loads in Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I am sure you might get a deal with a taxi driver especially if its a regular journey.

Thanks everyone. I don't expect buses every 20 minutes in Mayo, not at all. I do have a car, but my wife will prob need it more than I will.
    Apparently a taxi will be 50 euro each way, fair enough, it's 25 miles, that's at a discount from the meter the driver said. Not really budgeting to spend 100 quid on the return journey though.
    There is no local private bus service on that route, fair enough too.
    No worries, I'll ask the drivers about the express bus, failing that I'll just take the slooooooow bus, sure it's only once every 2 weeks ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Route 456 (Ballina-Galway) departs Ballina Bus Station at 0800 arriving Castlebar (Garvey Way) at 0900. This journey operates Mondays-Saturdays inclusive. As well as the key intermediate points listed in the timetable it will stop at any safe point en route.

Return route 456 journeys departs Castlebar (Garvey Way) at 1630 and 1835, arriving Ballina 1725 and 1930 respectively. Again these journeys operate Mondays-Saturdays inclusive.

Timetable here:http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290419802-439.pdf

Bought online an adult day return is €12.35

Hope this info might be of some help

Thanks for that Geog1234 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I am sure you could get a taxi for less than that. As its during the day you would be travelling it would be around 50 on the meter. I have done an odd run from Ballina to Castlebar at night and its well over 60 on the meter.
    Send me a pm if you are stuck and we might come to some arrangement ;)

Thanks Steph, will keep you in mind but prob will go with the bus to be honest.

Advertisement