Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County/Suburbs Traffic

Options
  • 01-09-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I happened to hear phone conversation on a certain Galway Radio Station the other morning with lady from Knocknacarra who was absolutely livid, fuming about the traffic in Galway of late. Personally I work irregular hours so traffic is never any problem (fingers crossed lol!) but what are people's thoughts driving in from Galway Suburbs and County. Is it still the same as ever, has anyone noticed a noticeable increase in traffic at different/un-usual times?

The Council and other related Departments have stepped aboard and taken it up a gear (see what I did there! :D;) ) in the last day or two, and there's an Emergency Meeting scheduled for early next week to try to come to mutual understanding about where we're at with ease-of-congestion and traffic-flow, and effects of Roadworks ......

Anyone foresee any headway being made on this .........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Okay, so I happened to hear phone conversation on a certain Galway Radio Station the other morning with lady from Knocknacarra who was absolutely livid, fuming about the traffic in Galway of late. Personally I work irregular hours so traffic is never any problem (fingers crossed lol!) but what are people's thoughts driving in from Galway Suburbs and County. Is it still the same as ever, has anyone noticed a noticeable increase in traffic at different/un-usual times?

The Council and other related Departments have stepped aboard and taken it up a gear (see what I did there! :D;) ) in the last day or two, and there's an Emergency Meeting scheduled for early next week to try to come to mutual understanding about where we're at with ease-of-congestion and traffic-flow, and effects of Roadworks ......

Anyone foresee any headway being made on this .........

Do you mean the County Council?

I believe there is a problem with lack of coordination and -- surprise surprise -- planning between the City and County Councils.

Galway Co Co HQ is in the city, but the way their "planners" behave you'd never believe that they ever think of the consequences of their decisions. They have peppered the countryside with one-off houses, and then we are dismayed by the traffic generation and deterioration of all those cart tracks. Not to mention sewage, but that's for another thread.

Last night as I lay dreaming, I thought about how now might be a good time to abolish the separate authorities, sack or sideline the incompetent incumbents, and set up a single new authority for the entire city and county, with particular emphasis on coordinated spatial planning and traffic & transport management.

And then I woke up, and remembered I was in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Ain't got a clue which one lol, "The Council" is always the port of call. Whether anyone is answering the call is another question. I see there is a Thread about Traffic in City Forum, but I was literally just curious what the situation is out the county at the moment, with people travelling in from Tuam side, from out Carnmore, Gort n other areas etc., whether any changes / increased volumes in traffic have been noticed of late / this year / over last few months ..... Or how country folk are finding it time-wise to get into work in Galway ......

Advertisement