Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Road Closures

Options
  • 01-09-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Thought it would be worth sticking up a thread flagging this weekend's road closures as they will be quite signifigant for many people.

From the AA
    The Ironman Triathlon is taking place around Co. Galway on Sunday 4th September.
    2,000 participants will complete a 90K bike ride on the N59 Clifden Rd, a 26K run from Galway City to the promenade in Salthill and a swim in Galway Bay.
    The race gets underway at 7am and will continue until approximately 6:30pm.
    The event is expected to attract approximately 10,000 people and extensive road closures will be in place around Barna, Galway City, Moycullen, Oughterard and Knocknacarra.
    Main road closures:
    • The N59 Galway/Clifden Rd will be closed from Maam Cross to the N6 Dublin Rd jct in Galway City between 7am and 2pm.
    • The Barna Rd (R336) will be closed from the Twelve Pins in Barna to Salthill Park between 7am and 10am.
    • The Mountain Rd will be closed from Tooreeny through to the Twelve Pins on the Barna Rd (R336) from 7am until 10am.
    • The Seapoint Promenade in Salthill will close from Grattan Rd to Quincentennial Drive West from 6pm on Thursday until 6am, Monday.
    • From 7am until 5pm, Upper Salthill Rd (Rockbarton Rd to Lenaboy Park), Grattan Rd, Claddagh Quay, Wolfe Tone Bridge and The Long Walk will all close.
    • The Newcastle Rd will close from the Snipe Avenue junction through to Lwr Salthill Hill Rd from 7am until 2pm.
    • During the event, Quincentennial Bridge will enable motorists to travel from east to west across the city. Allow extra time for your journey throughout the race.
    • Salmon Weir Bridge and William O’Brien Bridge will be open for local access only.
    For a map of Galway City closures click here.

For a map of the closures in Galway County click here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

does anyone know what route the ironman is taking.i know it starts in salthill with a swim, but thats about it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

will locals be able to access their houses in the grattan rd area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

skelliser wrote: »

As long as they have their keys or leave a window open to climb in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

does anyone know what route the ironman is taking.i know it starts in salthill with a swim, but thats about it :confused:
    Swim
    Bike
    Run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

skelliser wrote: »

Sis in law lives there, basically no. I'm lucky I have a get out but then again I might go and look at those silly people or maybe not. The wife likes the idea of an Iron man. My suggestion she already has one falls on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

biko wrote: »

competitors dont seem too pleased with the organisation judging by the comments after the run map.....

"Pitiful - start using a standard that people can actually study. PUT IT ON GOOGLE MAPS !!! This is looking like the poorest organised 70.3 to date ... go Ireland."

"Completely unworkable tripe.. Bad organisation = bad event. Still no map update - days before the event."

hope they dont mess this one up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Hope this does not turn into Irony Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    As long as they have their keys or leave a window open to climb in.

Sure and I think they'll need feet, or at least wheelchairs, too.

"Pitiful - start using a standard that people can actually study. PUT IT ON GOOGLE MAPS !!! ...

In fairness to the organisers, the correlation between road in Google maps database and road In Real Life isn't that hot in Ireland. I don't know details, but maybe there are reasons for not trying to put it in there.

Just written these up: http://galwaypublictransportnews.blogspot.com/2011/09/bus-service-changes-for-galway-ironman.html

(Very cute of BE to date their press release the 23rd ... their RSS feed doesn't lie though :) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement