Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop -working on LAN & wireless at work but not at home?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

I just bought a new HP laptop and whilst it works on the wireless network and also LAN (when docked) at work, it will not connect to our wireless router (D-Link) at home? It eventually connects and says 'limited access' so has no internet access. Any ideas? I'm not very techy so speak slowly..:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Ok. I've tried to investigate this a bit more as I realise I didnt give enough info last time around.

I have a new HP probook laptop running Windows 7 and our router is quite old..a d-link airplus G 802.11g 2.4Ghz wireless router.

I tried to connect to the router via wireless and also using a network cable but it wont work at all. I connected directly via cable to the network point and that works ok. So the laptop and router will not talk to each other.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Did it work out of the box at your work place or did someone configure it to enable it to connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

The network card had to be reinstalled for some reason but the wireless card picked up the network straight away. No changes to proxy settings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Do other laptops connect to the wireless router at home?

Try changing the wireless channel in the router.

Advertisement