Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN MINT OFFICE

Options
  • 01-09-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

hi all -

recently got offer from dublin mint office to purchase commemorative coin

offer advertised as €4.95 + FREE P&P so i ordered it

pay after you receive it type of deal

it arrived earlier in the week

much to my dismay i received it with a bill for €4.95 + €3.95 P&P

not the offer that was advertised

tried ringing multiple times throughout the week - always get message ''no operators available''

tried emailing - no reply

where do i stand now

regards

brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Was the offer in writing? If so, make a copy of it, and send it back with the bill. Tell the to correct the bill and re-issue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bruman

I got one of these coins as a gift recenly from my girlfriend. Very disappointed. Poor quality and poor presentation. Very cheap packaging. It is like something you would by in a souvenir shop.

I collect the proof sets issued by the Central Bank and their coin sets are proper and should hold their value.

I think this company are a scam. No address on their letters etc.

When my girlfriend initially enquired about a coin "at a discounted price" they sent her 2 letters within 1 week advising the "offer" was nearly fully subscribed and to order quickly.

My advise is keep away from this company - you have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There was a big thread on this crowd somewhere on boards.
    There was reps from the company involved, but the whole thing seemed like a very shoddy set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The company is called the "Dublin Mint Office", but they are in no way connected to the Irish Central Bank and they are not a Retail Arm of any national mint.

As such, I am always wary of any company who uses an abiguous or potentially misleading name.

Their RBN is 494407. Registered in January this year. So it's fair to say that they're not an established coin retailer. They also get all their mail to a PO Box, and their business is registered via their accountants address, which indicates that they have no formal premises, at best an office probably.

My guess is that they resell coins produced elsewhere and don't handle the product themselves.

They have however provided an Annual Return for this year, which generally indicates that they're not fly-by-night scammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublin Mint: Tim

Enniscorthy - My apologies that your complaint was not dealt with in line with our usual customer service protocol. Could you send me your address and customer number so that I can locate your account and resolve your query as soon as possible. priority@dublinmintoffice.ie

Bruman - I’m very sorry to hear you were disappointed with the quality of the product you received from us. We pride ourselves on supplying product of the highest standard and we also offer a 14 day no quibble guarantee so that if you are not completely satisfied you can return anything to us at our expense. If you’d like to get in touch with me via priority@dublinmintoffice.ie , I’ll see how I can help. Just for information, our address is on all literature we send out including, of course, the invoice that accompanied your coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Just for information, our address is on all literature we send out including, of course, the invoice that accompanied your coin.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Yes. A PO Box address and a web address. How about providing an office address in Ireland?

Edit. Just checked the cro. The registered office is coming up as a C/O address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    There was a big thread on this crowd somewhere on boards.
    There was reps from the company involved, but the whole thing seemed like a very shoddy set up.

Here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056278159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Registered Username

Similarly to another user who posted recently here on boards, I am having issues with the company Dublin Mint Office who are overcharging me on an invoice.

I have been calling and emailing their 'office' for over three weeks now, with absolutely no acknowledgent, let alone solution to the issue.

I have not yet paid the invoice due to this fact of it being over priced.

I have requested that they send a new invoice with the correct amount, however as I mentioned - no response.

What is the best way to proceed with this?

I would advise everyone to avoid this organisation (or lack of it) like a plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dear Registered Username

Sorry to hear you are not interested in the coin you have received. I have also contacted you personally to establish your account details and resolve this matter. I confirm that we offer a 14 day no quibble guarantee (which we would extend in your case) and we would be happy to receive the coin back if you are not completely satisfied. The cost of the return is borne by us and you can obtain a postage paid label at www.dublinmintoffice.org/returns. Please obtain a proof of posting. Of course, if there is some mistake on the invoice, we will correct this immediately.

Kind regards

Tim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

.org is not loading. The whois info is interesting:
    Domain ID: D160414115-LROR
    Domain Name: DUBLINMINTOFFICE.ORG
    Created On:15-Oct-2010 11:10:23 UTC
    Last Updated On:15-Dec-2010 03:51:19 UTC
    Expiration Date:15-Oct-2015 11:10:23 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Freeparking Domain Registrars, Inc. (R1352-LROR)
    Registrant ID: DI_9061608
    Registrant Name: Domain Contact (270703)
    Registrant Organization:The Crown Collections Ltd
    Registrant Street1:Harmsworth House, 13-15 Bouverie Street
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:London
    Registrant State/Province:London
    Registrant Postal Code:EC4Y 8DP
    Registrant Country:GB
    Registrant Phone:+44.8451203086
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:

2 simple questions in relation to your lack of trustworthiness:

Why do you not display a proper trustworthy postal address and hide behind a PO box?

Why are you hiding your company registration behind an accountancy firm?

Until these questions are satisfactorily answered, you cannot be trusted adequately and business should not be done with you.

Lastly, you are using the State emblem, the Harp, in your logo. Have you got the consent of the Minsiter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Returns link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It's just missing a slash:
    http://www.dublinmintoffice.ie/returns/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

http://www.dublinmintoffice.ie/returns

Tim, I'm looking at THIS page and theres two different ads for the Commerative first Irish Gold coin. One is €19.95 and the other is €29.95 but they seem the same. What am I missing? Thinking of buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

He's referring to the .org domain. The slash makes no difference.

Dear Tricky D – Thank you for your questions. When we first launched our products in Ireland earlier this year we did not have an Irish based office as we wanted to ascertain the level of interest from Irish customers. It was our hope that we would be in a position to establish a Dublin based office in due course. We are very pleased with the response from the Irish market and now have a Dublin based office. However, due to the high value nature of our products and the fact that we do not have a retail showroom, we use a PO Box address for returns, which is standard business practice for a mail order business. Regarding registering the company through a firm of accountants, this is also standard business practice. We are in communication with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation regarding the use of a harp in our logo and will fully conform with the advice we receive from them. I will update you as and when this is finalised.

Dear Plazaman- Many thanks for your interest in our products. I confirm these are the same coins - the difference is that the lower priced version is the starter in a collection of Euro First Strikes. To encourage participation in the collection, we offer the first coin at a reduced price – you’ll see the word “collection” by the coin and more details if you click on “Read More”. If, however, you just wish to buy this coin alone, you can do so at the normal release price of €29.95. Hope that clarifies things.

Wishing you a good weekend

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

We are in communication with the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation regarding the use of a harp in our logo and will fully conform with the advice we receive from them. I will update you as and when this is finalised.

Tim

Tim - I have an issue with Dublin Mint Office using a National Emblem in its logo.

You say you are 'in communication' with the Dept regarding this.

Using a state emblem is a very sneaky method of adding legitimacy to a business.

Using a state emblem without PRIOR AGREEMENT from the Minister is illegal (Section 97 of the Trade Marks Act 1996).

Can I assume by your ambiguous 'in communication' statement above, that you have not yet received permission from the Minister?

http://www.djei.ie/science/ipr/emblems.htm
    Any person who wishes to obtain registration of a trade mark containing a State emblem (harp, shamrock) or to use a State emblem in connection with any business must first obtain consent from the Minister. The Minister is also empowered to take lawful steps against any person outside the State in the event of misuse of trade marks that would falsely indicate that the goods on which the trade mark is used were of Irish origin.

Can you confirm if you have received permission from the Minister before you used the state emblem in your logo?

Got what appeared to be a copy and pasted message from him in no way relating to my query. I replied, attempting to clarify and have heard nothing since.

I have received a payment reminder in the post (for the same overcharged amount) leaving me to believe that if they have sufficient time and energy to go to the effort of typing , printing and posting such a letter, that they are deliberately ignoring my emails and calls.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Every address I know received correspondance from this company. Home, work, parents, inlaws, friends. A mass mail blitz using a type of stationery designed to look as if it came from a government source, with a note on the outside to say it was important and should not be ignored. So in my opinion, from the start this company utilise dodgy and misleading practices. Their product (in my opinion) is overpriced, simply common currency made to look like something exclusive and important. I would have said 'avoid' before reading this thread, but doubly so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I just received this reply from my TD (removed names as per boards policy)
    Sent: 20 September 2011 12:34
    To: <snip>
    Subject: Re: Misuse of State Emblems - Dublin Mint Office

Dear <snip>,

Further to our previous correspondence, I have confirmed that the Minister had not consented to the use of the harp symbol by the named company and the Intellectual Property Unit of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Employment has now made contact with the relevant parties in relation to the matter.

The IPU will seek to establish if the use of the symbol contravenes the trade mark and, if the company fails to desist from using the symbol when requested to do so, it is open to the Minister to pursue legal action in respect of its use.

Thank you again for bringing the issue to my attention and I hope this will ultimately resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Regards,

<snip> TD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

dilallio wrote: »

good 1 mate lets see them get out of this 1 hehe :p

Dear Registered Username

Apologies for not replying to your messages over the weekend. I have sent you a reply this morning which I hope will resolve the situation to your satisfaction. I have enclosed within that note my personal email address if there is anything else I can help you with.

Kind regards

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

dilallio wrote: »

Looks like the company are being caught out here. It is now inherently apparent, Tim, that your company is engaging in illegal activities re using the state emblem without permission.

And it is my opinion that the only reason you are using the Harp is in order to give your company a sense of authority and officialdom. This is a disgusting practice and the company should be held accountable for this gross misuse of our national emblems.
    Dear Registered Username

Apologies for not replying to your messages over the weekend. I have sent you a reply this morning which I hope will resolve the situation to your satisfaction. I have enclosed within that note my personal email address if there is anything else I can help you with.

Kind regards

Tim

Registered Username, I think it would be useful if you could include the contents of the PM which Tim has sent you, insofar as it will help to keep us all updated on the situation. (of course, do not include Tim's private email address).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 miss belle

Hey all I would just like to say I purchased some coins from the Dublin Mint Office and after reading the thread here am starting to regret having purchased and payed for them!! Although I am still getting floods of mail through my letter box the thing is I am not a professional coin collector but is there anything the Dublin Mint Office selling to be completely legilamate pieces at all...?? I recieved an offer regarding The world's most sought after silver coin : The American Silver Eagle in Best brilliant UNCIRCULATED QUALITY :confused: with a special intro offer of 39.95 euro plus 3.95 p&p a saving of 50 euro..!! Has anyone one else recieved such an offer..??

After eventually getting them to relent to the original agreed price of €4.95, I paid it via postal order several weeks ago.

Just this morning I received a threatening letter in the post stating that I now owed a €11.40 and that I was in "serious arrears" and that this was their "final demand" in order to prevent serious action in "being referred to their legal representitives".

One must ask, are these the same legal representitives who gave them the go ahead to use the harp emblem without permission?

Ridiculous.

Avoid this company like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Registered Username, I think it would be useful if you could include the contents of the PM which Tim has sent you, insofar as it will help to keep us all updated on the situation. (of course, do not include Tim's private email address).

Publishing the content of a PM is a serious no-no on this site, and should not be done without permission of the person that sent the PM.
    Just this morning I received a threatening letter in the post stating that I now owed a €11.40 and that I was in "serious arrears" and that this was their "final demand" in order to prevent serious action in "being referred to their legal representitives".

Sounds like you're about to get a letter from a debt collection agency, which you can pretty much ignore.

Issue has now been cleared up

Dear Registered username.

Thank you for your payment which arrived with us at the end of last week. Unfortunately your reminder letter had crossed in the post. I can confirm that your account is now balanced and all other actions complete as per your private message to me.

Kind regards

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Derrywumman

jor el wrote: »
    Publishing the content of a PM is a serious no-no on this site, and should not be done without permission of the person that sent the PM.

Sounds like you're about to get a letter from a debt collection agency, which you can pretty much ignore.

Could you please explain re the letter from debt collection agency - how could this be ignored? I am asking because I am also getting threatening letters from this company - any further advice much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

They are not regulated in Ireland unlike the UK so they have zero powers:
    http://keepingyourhome.ie/debt_collection.html.en
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=87179

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement