Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN MINT OFFICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Does anyone have an update on the situation regarding the unauthorised use of the Harp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublin Mint: Tim

Dear Derrywumman

The only time the Dublin Mint Office sends reminder letters to customer is when prompt payment hasn't been received for a product. If there has been a problem with the delivery to you, this is a matter that can easily be resolved by either calling our customer care team on free phone 1800 937 321 or by emailing customer care at customercare@dublinmintoffice.ie. The team are ready to help resolve the situation.

Best regards

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got their flyer in the post with the "An Post" logo in the top right... "delivered by" in small writing above it!

Seems like they are desperate to show they are endorsed by our National Mail Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Derrywumman

Yes, it is another of their rather misleading tactics, used to give some
    'credibility' to their sordid operation.

I just really wonder how anyone would want to work for this outfit. Part of the job is to scan Boards.ie to try to put an end to the discussion thread!
    Some job.... why so anxious??
    If you look at Samlerhuset on Wikipedia:
    The company advertising campaigns and sales methods have been criticized by some collectors, magazines and consumer protection authorities in the past. Norwegian Consumer Ombudsman They have raised concerns over the use of misleading advertisements, and customers receiving goods they have not ordered. Samlerhuset have prices 2-3 times that of others. In April 2011 the Norwegian TV channel TV2 aired the programme about Samlerhuset. It showed an elderly man who had bought coins and medals for NOK 450,000 (about US$80,000, £52,000), with the coins' value being 80-90.000NOK (US$15-16,000, £9-10,000)

Is it time to bring this to the attention of media organisations in this country too? .....

Yes, it is another of their rather misleading tactics, used to give some
    'credibility' to their sordid operation.

I just really wonder how anyone would want to work for this outfit. Part of the job is to scan Boards.ie to try to put an end to the discussion thread!
    Some job.... why so anxious??
    If you look at Samlerhuset on Wikipedia:
    The company advertising campaigns and sales methods have been criticized by some collectors, magazines and consumer protection authorities in the past. Norwegian Consumer Ombudsman They have raised concerns over the use of misleading advertisements, and customers receiving goods they have not ordered. Samlerhuset have prices 2-3 times that of others. In April 2011 the Norwegian TV channel TV2 aired the programme about Samlerhuset. It showed an elderly man who had bought coins and medals for NOK 450,000 (about US$80,000, £52,000), with the coins' value being 80-90.000NOK (US$15-16,000, £9-10,000)

Is it time to bring this to the attention of media organisations in this country too? .....
    Dear Derrywumman

My primary focus is on resolving customer issues, I am very happy to look into your issue to resolve it. Please use the number and email address on my previous response on this board or the personal message function to send me your name and address details as well as your customer number (starting 700) I will look into the matter personally.

Kind regards

Tim Banks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

if people weren't getting sucked in to paying anything to this shower this would be one of the funniest threads on boards.

As far back as Jack and the Beanstalk there were gullible people believing people peddling nick nacks (jack got lucky mind you )

However, the use of other people's, institutions logos and the misleading 'affiliations' are disgusting.

Tim ... I think you may just be digging a deeper hole for yourself here. From your contributions to date on this thread your credibility is in decline. You don't seem to be able to directly answer any specfic concerns raised.

There is a big difference between a 'reminder' letter and a THREATENING letter!! This is against the law.

By the way, I am not a customer. I have informed your people that I do not want any more unsolicited packages or threats.

BTW does anyone know if this the Dublin Mint Office has ever been discussed on the Joe Duffy show on RTE Radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

To OP:
    The coins have no collectible value and no realisable precious-metal value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 annoyed mick

BTW does anyone know if this the Dublin Mint Office has ever been discussed on the Joe Duffy show on RTE Radio?

annoyed mick I dont think it has been aired on Joe Duffy yet if they do not sort out my problem soon I will be tempted to contact the show. My problem is that I bought three of their coins but they sent out another package that was not asked for I contacted them by phone and they were to send out a returns label that was two weeks ago they also said to get proof of postage from what I am reading their returns address is a post box number so how can you get proof of delivery. I have instructed my credit card company not to entertain any requests any payments from dmo without contacting me first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dilallio wrote: »
    I just received this reply from my TD (removed names as per boards policy)
    Sent: 20 September 2011 12:34
    To: <snip>
    Subject: Re: Misuse of State Emblems - Dublin Mint Office

Dear <snip>,

Further to our previous correspondence, I have confirmed that the Minister had not consented to the use of the harp symbol by the named company and the Intellectual Property Unit of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Employment has now made contact with the relevant parties in relation to the matter.

The IPU will seek to establish if the use of the symbol contravenes the trade mark and, if the company fails to desist from using the symbol when requested to do so, it is open to the Minister to pursue legal action in respect of its use.

Thank you again for bringing the issue to my attention and I hope this will ultimately resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Regards,

<snip> TD

Tim...any comment on the above ?

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Dear PCPhoto

Please see my response to this query from 27th October 2011. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056278159&page=8
    I hope this helps clarify this situation.

Kind regards

Tim

annoyed mick I dont think it has been aired on Joe Duffy yet if they do not sort out my problem soon I will be tempted to contact the show. My problem is that I bought three of their coins but they sent out another package that was not asked for I contacted them by phone and they were to send out a returns label that was two weeks ago they also said to get proof of postage from what I am reading their returns address is a post box number so how can you get proof of delivery. I have instructed my credit card company not to entertain any requests any payments from dmo without contacting me first.
    Dear annoyed mick

The (free) confirmation of return that we recommend you request from your post office is to help us chase up An Post on customers behalf, if for any reason your product doesn't make it back to us. This is not to be confused by a proof of delivery, we are not asking for that at all.
    If you personal message me I would be happy to look into your account and let you know the latest.

Kind regards
    Tim

It would still be worthwhile going on the Joe Duffy show, anyway, to alert other people to the problems and distress that getting involved with DMO will bring.

I don't think Mick should go to all the bother of running about to post office, getting stupid labels, getting receipts etc - why waste your own precious time - that is the most annoying thing.
    Then hassle again when you get more - or bills for the item or THREATENING letters.
    I see Tim has not made any response to the threatening letters post above............. perhaps because he knows that it is illegal to send these to people....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Any company that sends unsolicited mail is breaking the law afaik and there is NO OBLIGATION on you to return any items which you recieve in the mail that you have not ordered!

It would still be worthwhile going on the Joe Duffy show, anyway, to alert other people to the problems and distress that getting involved with DMO will bring.

I don't think Mick should go to all the bother of running about to post office, getting stupid labels, getting receipts etc - why waste your own precious time - that is the most annoying thing.
    Then hassle again when you get more - or bills for the item or THREATENING letters.
    I see Tim has not made any response to the threatening letters post above............. perhaps because he knows that it is illegal to send these to people....?
    Dear Derrywumman.

An explanation of reminder letters was posted in reply to you on 9th November. I hope that you take me up on the offer to contact me directly, I'd really like to resolve the problems you seem to be having.

Kind regards

Tim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Any company that sends unsolicited mail is breaking the law afaik and there is NO OBLIGATION on you to return any items which you recieve in the mail that you have not ordered!

here's the relevant law

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0047.html

if you do nothing, after 6 months they're yours
    if you tell them to collect them, after 30 days they're yours

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

I guess the key point is the "unsolicited" bit which is defined in statute as: “unsolicited” means, in relation to goods sent to any person, that they are sent without any prior request by him or on his behalf.

If its clear that these items are being sent unsolicited then happy days, people will be getting lots of free gifts every month!

I'd read through any documentation form this crowd very carefully or better still throw it straight in the bin.

Dear annoyed mick

The (free) confirmation of return that we recommend you request from your post office is to help us chase up An Post on customers behalf, if for any reason your product doesn't make it back to us. This is not to be confused by a proof of delivery, we are not asking for that at all.
    If you personal message me I would be happy to look into your account and let you know the latest.

Kind regards
    Tim

Dear tim
    In regards to post I have been in touch with the National Consumers Association and the advice they have given is as follows as your company sent out a package that was not asked for the onus is on you to collect it and if it not collected it is within my rights to keep it. They also asked for copies of any emails that was sent to you and replies from you as they wish to investigate your sales practice in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Baybay

I contacted Tim by PM in relation to a query from an aged and infirm relative but have had no response yet.
    I'm wondering if any of you have heard anything from him in the last few days?

• Advertisement

Baybay wrote: »
    I contacted Tim by PM in relation to a query from an aged and infirm relative but have had no response yet.

Hi Baybay
    It would seem that Tim is the only person that is able to reply to any queries about this company as I have sent 5 emails and only received what look like an automated reply that any queries would answered within 5 days guess what I am still waiting. The national consumers associations advice was as follows if the goods were unsolicited to send a letter stating if they did not collect their product within a given time frame you are entitled to keep it. I have told them to collect in 7 working days so the waiting game begins. I also told them to remove any data concerning me from their system a month ago and lo and behold I get another offer for a JFK silver coin for only €29,99 p&p so it looks like the next step is the Data protection Office I also see that they have changed the logo to a tower that is taking a joke too far .

I got the JFK letter too and I have also told them to remove my details from their system. I think I will have to act on this. Such a nuisance to have to keep dealing with all this crap. I think I saw a post on another thread about the tower logo - seems that is a copy of a template from another legitimate source - I forget now, exactly, but will look it up - again using up personal time!

I meant to add -

I wonder if this JFK offer has only gone out to people who initially responded to their misleading 'offer' - perhaps an alert needs to go out - Joe Duffy?

I got the JFK letter too and I have also told them to remove my details from their system. I think I will have to act on this. Such a nuisance to have to keep dealing with all this crap. I think I saw a post on another thread about the tower logo - seems that is a copy of a template from another legitimate source - I forget now, exactly, but will look it up - again using up personal time!

I meant to add that the same JFK coin is available in any bank in the USA for 50 cents and I think they are for sale in Dublin for less than €10 as for the tower logo I think that is the one used by Waterford county council if so they may have to reprint their letterheads again. As I have said I have given them a 7 days to collect or it gets labelled unsolicited goods and dropped into the mail system.

Annoyed Mick - I would not even bother posting it back - you don't have to - save yourself the leg work!
    Thanks for the info about the value of the JFK coin! This is scandalous.
    I hope I don't start to get angry now...... hell hath no fury like a derrywumman scorned!

Annoyed Mick - I would not even bother posting it back - you don't have to - save yourself the leg work!
    Thanks for the info about the value of the JFK coin! This is scandalous.
    I hope I don't start to get angry now...... hell hath no fury like a derrywumman scorned!

Dear Derrywumman
    I do not want to get you angry but i think the Central bank will when they see what our friends at dublin mint are up to they are now trying to <SNIP> people into buying the first ever Irish gold coin featuring Samuel Beckett. I have checked on the central banks website and it bears no resemblance to theirs so I think they will have to informed of our dear friends new <SNIP>. I have been telling everybody that I know to keep far away from them.

PCPhoto wrote: »

Have you seen the new offer they have out the first Irish gold coin featuring Samuel Beckett it looks nothing like the original the Central Bank is selling where are they getting their designs from

Dear Derrywumman
    I do not want to get you angry but i think the Central bank will when they see what our friends at dublin mint are up to they are now trying to con people into buying the first ever Irish gold coin featuring Samuel Beckett. I have checked on the central banks website and it bears no resemblance to theirs so I think they will have to informed of our dear friends new scam. I have been telling everybody that I know to keep far away from them.

... and the 1966 10 shilling coin, for which they invite ' application' to purchase - this is a contravention of the Consumer Protection Act 2007.
    They want €129.
    "This is a special release of original 1966 coins from the Archival Stocks of The Dublin Mint Office. Due to this there is only a limited amount available. Apply now to avoid dissapointment."

They can be got for around €40 and often appear on e bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Baybay

Baybay wrote: »

I have now been in contact with Tim through PM.

While he has been prompt & helpful and hopefully things are in the process of being resolved, my elderly mother has been scared sleepless and driven to tears by this company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Just got a letter asking me to pay for the coins i got that i never ordered. I emailed them before when i received the first coin i didn't order but no-one bothered getting back to me. Don't particularly want the hassle of returning them. Very sorry i ever ordered anything from them in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement