Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for people of various age groups

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Have a degree in English and was quite good with grammar, spelling etc.

Worrying thing was that when I was in 4th year, I used to mentor a few 1st years. They would often ask me to have a look at essays before submitting them for marking. The standard was often atrocious!

One essay used txtspk more times than I could count, both in the prose and narrative including the likes of "lol", "omg" etc.

There were full sentences with no vowels! No vowels at all I tell's you!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Bad grammar is everyones enemy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

People need to learn to talk proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

'lesser being's.
    Ah yes, definitely lesser being's. I often think all those boy's and girl's are lesser being's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Maybe people should be sent to a 'Skool for People Who Cant Do Grammer Good'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Interesting, I started Italian lessons recently and am giving French lessons in return.

Maybe the langauge part of my wee brain is packing things to the back of the filing cabinet because of all this new information... I hadn't thought about it but seems credible
    I'd think different languages have different spelling patterns/rules (obviously enough) and so, when you learn a new language, the different spelling patterns/rules of these different languages can get mixed together in your brain and hence the mistakes. At least that's what I've noticed about my own mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

TheZohan wrote: »
    That's one thing that really annoys me, older people using "txt spk". My own mother has started to abbreviate her texts, half the bloody time I have no idea what she's trying to say.

yeah its hard to make out what she says in fairness, luckily though the pictures she sends me give a fair idea what she wants :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Have a degree in English and was quite good with grammar, spelling etc.

Is grammar taught in English degrees these days?

Advertisement