Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arguements against

• 01-09-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I ordered my first e-cig about a month ago and haven't smoked since I've gotten it. At this stage I've nearly forgotten what it was like to smoke fags. I've even gotten through a few nights out in the pub, which I was worried about initially, with ease.

In the last month I've come across a few naysayers about my new device.
    I've heard arguments such as:

Its not tested, so you don't know what your inhaling.
    It's better to go cold turkey if you're trying to give up.
    It would be easy to smoke too much nicotine with it.

These arguments above are fairly easily rebuffed, in my mind. But I'm wondering, did you come across any good arguments against e-cigs vs real fags.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Not much so far - though I'm only using mine about as long as you are, so these are all comments from a noob's point of view.

The way I see it - you'd be doing well to find a substitute for smoking that's as bad for you as real cigarettes. Even if there are potential health risks, is it really likely that they're even a fraction as serious as smoking?

But I think I'm preaching to the converted here!

The only downsides that I've experienced:

It's not really all that cheap - though a nicorette inhaler with a load of cartridges cost me €30. Aside from the initial purchase, the liquids and accessories to last the same amount of time is probably not much more.

The form factor - I'll be really happy if they can make a device that really works well AND looks like a normal cigarette. It seems to be one or the other so far.

They can a bit fiddly at times unless you go for the more expensive pre-filled cartridges. Though it looks like the new carts can give you at least a few days of use at a time.
    It's better to go cold turkey if you're trying to give up.

I do sort of understand that mentality - I imagine it's better to not try and replace one habit with another. But that implies that vaping is a stopgap, whereas it's clear that it's a hobby(?) in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Eoin wrote: »
    I do sort of understand that mentality - I imagine it's better to not try and replace one habit with another. But that implies that vaping is a stopgap, whereas it's clear that it's a hobby(?) in its own right.

Is this the attitude of most vapors?
    Personally I'd be looking to it medium term as an aide to give up. I've tried cold turkey before and relapsed on nights out on the beer. The e-cig gives me something to fill that one chink in my non-smoking armor.

Your absolutely preaching to the converted, as in my mind (not researched) they should somewhat better for your health, for me the cost as opposed to cigarettes is way down, I feel way better / healthier.

I realise under all of these headings, not smoking / vaping is the superior choice, but I really cant see any advantage to smoking over e-cigs.

Even the argument about them not tasting like the real thing, absolutely, but I think once you've adjusted over the first week or two, I'm actually preferring the taste of the e-cig. Imagine I'd the taste of a real fag would be rotten at this stage.

Is this the attitude of most vapors?

It's hard to define, but when I compare it to the nicorette inhaler that I was using earlier, there's a big difference.

All the different flavours etc available for the eCigs seem to make it an enjoyable thing in its own right. The inhaler isn't nice to use at all, it just provides a basic function of reducing cravings (and not as well as the eCig).

It's very early for me to tell though. I've only been off the fags for 3.5 weeks now, and I've avoided going to the pub in that time. When the novelty of being off them has worn off, that will be the real test for the eCig and me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

well cost wise im off then 14 weeks yesterday so thats about €838 saved [pack a day @ €8.55 each]

if i look now iv spent €270 on vapein stuff [i like buying new Juice and diferant attys/cleos/carts ect] now iv still got alot of juce and spare unused bits about that i could go another 3 months without buying anything if i wanted.

about 20 spare cleromizers,over 20 types of juice with between 5 and 30ml left,6 spare ego-t attys,10 cartomizers,5 ego batterys ect ect

im defo saveing money on hardware alone never mind visits to the doc/future medical bill ect.

Any1 thats said shure u dont know what your inhaleing......... well i know its gota be beter the 20 a day.

I have had a few say be carefull i dont get addicted to ecigs, My reply is why ? i can drop to 0nic if i want and nic is no worse for u then drinking alot of coffey,alcohol,shuger,fatty food ect

I have tryed everything before to give them up and the only time anything worked was a combo of patchs and a girlfriend and that only lasted 5-6 months

If i couldant vape i would still be a smoker

I think anyone that tells u smokeing is better then a ecig needs a head cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Theirs two types of responses.
    The anti-smoker; 'those are as bad as cigs,' Translation; I still want to feel superior.

The committed smoker; 'Sure whats the difference then' Translation ; I couldn't be arsed.

Everyone else is fairly indifferent. Oh an their might be some who are thinking about ways to get someone else off cigarettes. They'll quiz you every which way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This was one area of concern for me when I started vaping, the main ingredient of juice has been lab tested and is considered 100% safe.

The main health hazard is nicotine, it's been shown to allow continued growth of cancer cells and there's been studies that show it can even promote growth of cancer cells within the lungs.

I view e-cigs as a way of slowly but surely breaking my nicotine addiction, I started out on 24mg, 3 months later I'm down to 11mg and my bottles are starting to last me longer!

Next order will be for 6mg, followed by 0.

I've tried patches, gum and tablets all of which have horrible side effects and were nowhere near as effective me for personally.

I got my little brother on the e-cig too, he came back to me one day telling me he had heard a story that they were actually worse for you than analogues, but in reality there's been no studies that back this theory up, tbh I don't really consider it a theory, more a case of Chinese whispers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭tkavan

You can find the report here

It's a report on Ruyan e-cigs but i'd say would also apply to other manufacturer's products.

Here's the summary from the PDF linked to above:
    Method. Health New Zealand Ltd contracted with seven leading government, university and commercial laboratories in New Zealand and Canada to independently perform various tests on the Ruyan cigarette’s nicotine refill cartridge.

Findings. Ruyan® e-cigarette is designed to be a safe alternative to smoking. The various test results confirm this is the case. It is very safe relative to cigarettes, and also safe in absolute terms on all measurements we have applied. Using micro-electronics it vaporizes, separately for each puff, very small quantities of nicotine dissolved in propylene glycol, two small well-known molecules with excellent safety profiles, – into a fine aerosol. Each puff contains one third to one half the nicotine in a tobacco cigarette’s puff. The cartridge liquid is tobacco-free and no combustion occurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

"better off cold turkey"

Well this is true. Would cost nothing and nicotine ain't good for ya.

My counter argument is I have repeatedly quit smoking and failed. It is therefore likely I would fail again so I'm taking my chances with a much less harmful alternative

My only fear is there is perhaps there is something about pure nicotine hitting the lungs could cause problems in a worse way than smoking. Seems unlikely though to be honest. I reckon its worth the gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Yesterday was the longest most anxious day of my life.
    On Tuesday night i visited my Da in hospital, he was a heavy smoker all his life and he had to give up a few years back or he would lose a leg. It was'nt a scare tactic by the doctors, it was the simple truth and he still suffers some pain in the leg.

He has succeeded in not smoking since but the damage was already done in years to come.
    Yesterday he went under the knife for a triple heart bypass, thankfully the hospital said it went well and we can only hope his recovery goes well also.
    Coincidentally, the operation took place yesterday on the 1st anniversary of his sister's death in England. Take a guess as to the cause!

Visiting him on Tuesday night and thinking this could be the last time i see him is hard to put into words. Going through yesterday waiting around is hard to put into words.

Last week i was playing golf with him and tonight he could barely hold a plastic cup of water.

If the E-cig works for you and your not smoking cigarettes it's surely a step in the right direction. Do what ya have to do to get off the cigarettes and work your way down the nicotine levels if using an E-cig.
    Do whichever way works for you, buy what you have to buy to continue being off the smokes if needs be. I've found something that works for me now and can concentrate on getting nicotine levels down in my own time. The ultimate goal is your health and those around you.

He left it late but it was'nt too late for him to stop and hopefully it pays off for him. As he said earlier if he knew that smoking was gonna do this to him he would never of touched a cigarette and am sure those words have been echoed all over the world but it's ultimately down to you to stop.
    Of all the forms of wisdom, hindsight is by general consent the least merciful, the most unforgiving.

I hope i be playing golf with him again in 6 months.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

• Advertisement

Hope all goes well with his recovery derra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What a wake-up call!

All going well, you'll be golfing together soon.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

The way I see vaping is a replacement as opposed something used as a method for cessation. Nicotine is harmful but so is butter, E-numbers and the Sun...

It's definitely become more of a hobby for me. I really look forward to trying out new devices and flavours - I also find a lot of the Youtube reviews enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭tkavan

derra wrote: »
    Yesterday was the longest most anxious day of my life.
    On Tuesday night i visited my Da in hospital, he was a heavy smoker all his life and he had to give up a few years back or he would lose a leg. It was'nt a scare tactic by the doctors, it was the simple truth and he still suffers some pain in the leg.

He has succeeded in not smoking since but the damage was already done in years to come.
    Yesterday he went under the knife for a triple heart bypass, thankfully the hospital said it went well and we can only hope his recovery goes well also.
    Coincidentally, the operation took place yesterday on the 1st anniversary of his sister's death in England. Take a guess as to the cause!

Visiting him on Tuesday night and thinking this could be the last time i see him is hard to put into words. Going through yesterday waiting around is hard to put into words.

Last week i was playing golf with him and tonight he could barely hold a plastic cup of water.

If the E-cig works for you and your not smoking cigarettes it's surely a step in the right direction. Do what ya have to do to get off the cigarettes and work your way down the nicotine levels if using an E-cig.
    Do whichever way works for you, buy what you have to buy to continue being off the smokes if needs be. I've found something that works for me now and can concentrate on getting nicotine levels down in my own time. The ultimate goal is your health and those around you.

He left it late but it was'nt too late for him to stop and hopefully it pays off for him. As he said earlier if he knew that smoking was gonna do this to him he would never of touched a cigarette and am sure those words have been echoed all over the world but it's ultimately down to you to stop.
    Of all the forms of wisdom, hindsight is by general consent the least merciful, the most unforgiving.

I hope i be playing golf with him again in 6 months.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Wish all the young people would read this and take heed before they start the lethal tobacco journey. Hope your dad gets well soon !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Eoin wrote: »
    Hope all goes well with his recovery derra.

Cheers Eoin.
    Esel wrote: »
    What a wake-up call!

All going well, you'll be golfing together soon.

Better be as he beat me a couple times recenty, have to sort that out :D
    tkavan wrote: »
    Wish all the young people would read this and take heed before they start the lethal tobacco journey. Hope your dad gets well soon !

The funny thing is it won't make a blind bit of difference and if i did'nt have an E-cig i'd probably still be smoking too in all honesty. But it has definitely knocked on the head having the odd one out boozing, well i hope so anyway.
    Something bad has to happen to the person themselves, which is my pictures on cigarette boxes and television ads are not that sucessful imo.

Anyway i have seen enough the last couple days to avoid being his position.
    Not sleeping, not eating, coughing up pleghm, struggling to talk, constant pain, in one position all day in the bed and lots more reasons.

Anyway, i better not depress the thread anymore :)

Advertisement