Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foal down on its fetlocks

• 01-09-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I need some advice. My foal was born 3 weeks ago and was down on its fetlocks. One hind leg improved but the other is still very weak. He is now actually walking on his fetlocks. I have contacted 3 vets regarding this and they are all saying the same thing - "leave him out in the field with the mare for a couple of hours a day, keep him in the stable for the rest of the day and then just wait and see". But it has been 3+ weeks and he is just getting weaker. Has anyone tried any of the other recommended treatments on the web: foal shoes with wedges, splints. And to what success?
    I can't help thinking that the vet is recommending a wait and see approach because he is a half-bred and not a really expensive TB owned by McManus who could afford to blow €€€€ on fixing the foot.

I am really worried he will not get stronger and he will have to be PTS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You should post this in the Equestrian forum ;)

To add, i work on a stud farm and we would have foals down on their fetlocks and it my experience they do come right and strengthen up after a while.

Maybe get your farrier to come in and have a look at him too so he can plan out something for him feet wise once he starts to strengthen up.

I have only seen foals bandaged when they are so down on their pasterns/fetlcoks and part of the leg is rubbing off the ground. They can be bandaged to give extra support alright but the main thing is that your foal is getting regular exercise in a small paddock so the legs stregthen up.

Have you any pics of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Hi I hope your foal gets strong soon xxx.I worked on a stud farm and every year there would be a few foals who were down on their fetlocks or had bow legs etc.The farrier was brilliant he would watch the foals walking and would know exactly what to do with each one.They all came right :)one actually got teeny shoes we used to say she was wearing her heels :).Dont give up xxx its early days.I would deffo get a good farrier to have a look xx.I found this ..
    Tendon Laxity in the Newborn Foal - Page 1

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Thanks a million for your replies. I posted here because this is much more active than the equestrian forum and from other posts, i figures you would know what to do.

I will get photos this evening when I am home and post them here.

I will ask my local farrier to come down to have a look. He reckons he is hot sh!t so he will probably know what to do :cool:.

I hate this wait and see approach but if i hear from others that it works, it helps - if only for a few days.

x

Is the foal getting out into a paddock everyday?

Yes he is. He goes out every day for 2-3 hours. It is a small safe paddock and his dam is an old pro so she couldn't be bothered doing anything but eat grass. They are in the paddock by themselves because the other foals are a month older and much stronger and would probably entice him to gallop around or, worse still, pick on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

everyone else got there first, but I would definitely recommend getting your farrier out, I've seen a few foals come on amazingly in the care of a good farrier.

And, frustrating as it is, the wait and see approach can often be useful. Foals all grow and mature at different rates, and sometimes even if one starts off with an alarming problem like this, just letting him be a foal for a while, ie. out in the paddock with the mare having to move a bit, will help him strengthen up and come right.

Hi, just a quick update. I brought my foal up to sommerton and we had x-rays done. No photos, sorry! But his fetlock joint was at a 90 degree angle when i think it should be at a 60 degree angle at least. It is not touching the ground, YET! but I was told that I dont want to get it to that state.

It was sort of good-ish news, because he was half of a set of twins he was probably born dis(?)-mature - he made it to full term but had not matured enough in the womb because of his dead twin :( - so has another 4 weeks to improve...

this gives him a stay of execution... help help help!!!!! :(!!!!!!!!!! Would equine physiotherapy work to help him here? I was told to just "let him mature" but again, i think it is because he is a half bred!!!!! Does anyone know a physio that can help his weak tendon???? I cant let pepe go!!!!!

Emma, if you had the foal at Somerton then i would advise you to listen to their advice and their prognosis as they are the experts.

Somerton are very experienced equine vets and know a lot, a lot more the likes of us posting on this forum... so try and listen to what the experts have to say and be patient and follow their instructions.

Advertisement