Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Aid Course in UCC?

• 01-09-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to do a first aid course in UCC?

I know you can do them outside of UCC, in the city centre, but I was just wondering if UCC ran them or somewhere you can get discounted courses for students.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

gubbie wrote: »

I know you can do them outside of UCC, in the city centre, but I was just wondering if UCC ran them or somewhere you can get discounted courses for students.

Thanks for any help

Yeah sure it is. But at university they call it Nursing :D

Ok, ok....these people might know but it looks like the only first aid training is for UCC staff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've done an occupational first aid course within my course, but afaik, UCC don't offer any courses openly to students unless it is provided within a course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I've heard rumors that their might be one organised by the student union, dont take my word on it though. might just be for the student patrols they do. otherwise st. john's ambulance run them every so often. http://www.stjohnambulance.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

The new Glanmire division of St. John Ambulance are starting one on the 14th if you're interested. More information at the link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

There is one organised in Bishopstown Community School too, Starting in Sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭buckfast69

might be an idea to check out some of the clubs and societies, i know from my own experiance certain clubs in college, the more outdoorsy club try to get a basic level of first aid for all members. I was a member of the canoe club for 4 years and i took part in a few different first aid course and courses in river rescue. Not that i want to hijack the thread by banging on about the canoe club but its a pretty awesome club to join if you are looking for something a bit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

gubbie wrote: »

Thanks for any help

Any firm will take your business and let you attend a course as an individual. But it might be cheaper to get together with a few other students and try to get a hall or large room on the cheap. Then you can tell the companies that you have a premises and a group of students. Most will be able to give you a good deal if they just have to turn up and teach.

If you need the course to be accredited by the Irish Heart Foundation or FETAC then it's usually more expensive because of high admin costs involved. But if you're happy to have a certificate just issued by the training firm then it should further decrease the cost.

There's a reasonable amount of competition out there, so ask the companies for a group discount or a student discount.

Make sure they teach you CPR, as that's the real game changer in terms of a skill that you can learn easily and can save a life.

Advertisement