Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM Unit - SIM change

Options
  • 01-09-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

Folks

I am doing a bit of a financial clean up and next on my hit list is my HKC GSM Unit.

I pay in or around 10 to 12 quid a month for this to HKC who own the number.

I want to see if I can just stick a wee Pre Pay sim in there instead and top it up every 6 months with a tenner or something

Can anybody advise me if the SIM is intergrated into this unit or if the SIM can be easily exchanged and if so what kind of procedure do I need to go through with the actual alarm panel when changing the SIM ? Is it a task I wont be able to complete or should it be easy enough ?

Appreciate your time and help on this one. Saw a thread where somebody said he had done this but didn't want to go digging up old threads either.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A pre pay sim will work. Ideally you will be able to top up online and turn the pin request off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

KoolKid wrote: »
    A pre pay sim will work. Ideally you will be able to top up online and turn the pin request off.

Thanks KoolKid,

Will I have to fiddle with anything on the Panel with the new number ? Are the numbers it texts stored on the SIM or are they within the system ?

Also, is it just a case of slip out the old SIM and put in the new one ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Should be fine have you any text in commands set up?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Should be fine have you any text in commands set up?

Dont think so.

It's set to notify upon events. Thats about the height of it.

Cheers again KoolKid.

Paid this crowd over 500 quid for something I could have done for about 60. Crazy !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Easiest thing to do is remove sim and replace it with a pre-pay one.
    Just remember to disable the pin on the new one.
    All this will work if there is no pin on the existing one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Make sure you down power the GSM before removing and installing the new sim.
    All commands will work the same only you will be texting a different number.

Power down. Right. Where does the gsm feed from? Ie best way to shut down power?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

MugMugs wrote: »
    Power down. Right. Where does the gsm feed from? Ie best way to shut down power?

Depends which one you have installed. In both cases I would down power the control panel as the GSM is still connected to it. The GSM-METAL comes with its own power supply. To down power this turn off the mains and disconnect the battery. The GSM-P gets its power from the control panel, so powering down this should down power the GSM.

Advertisement