Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute for tilt and trim oil

• 01-09-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to top up or maybe empty and refill my tilt and trim unit. What regular oil can I buy somewhere local without having to purchase T+T oil can I use. Surely hydraulic oil used by farmers or constucion machines would suit seeing as it is a hydraulic pump system??:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi breghall, you should be ok with SAE5W or SAE10W if you can't get Quicksilver tilt and trim fluid. They say not to use ATF or brake fluid's as they are not good for the seals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi breghall, you should be ok with SAE5W or SAE10W if you can't get Quicksilver tilt and trim fluid. They say not to use ATF or brake fluid's as they are not good for the seals.

Fergal is spot on re the atf. You can use a variety of weights.
    See here. http://www.ehow.com/info_7943994_substitutes-outboard-tilt-trim-oil.html

I used SAE 30 in my two pumps when I rebuilt both systems last year and they are working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

thanks guys, am i right in saying then if i went for 10w30 or 10w40 it'd do the job ?

thanks again

breghall wrote: »
    thanks guys, am i right in saying then if i went for 10w30 or 10w40 it'd do the job ?

thanks again

My understanding is that it needs to be a straight weight oil instead of a multigrade.

straight weight not multigrade?? now I am confused to me oil is oil :o

how can i tell the difference from looking at the can?

• Advertisement

breghall wrote: »
    straight weight not multigrade?? now I am confused to me oil is oil :o

how can i tell the difference from looking at the can?

Sorry, just saw this now.

Multigrade is usually labeled 20 W 50, or 10 W 40, or some similar combination.
    Straight weight would be SAE 20 or 30, or whatever.

hifive, thanks for that called into the local oil guru today and got my SAE 10 so thanks for all the help.

oh and willpost if I find good or bad points on this using this for other peoples benefit later down the road .

cheers.

Advertisement