Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proxy 'caching' server application/solution ?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Looking for a proxy server that has a very good web caching features/management !

Thanks in advance for sharing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Don't most have a web caching feature?
    Webmarshal/ISA/SQUID..

Is there a particular feature your looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Squid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've used safesquid and it did a pretty good job, plenty of configurable options that might do the job for you.

it's also got top notch content filtering too, so you can keep the workers off the pr0n. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Somewhere there in Dublin is a school,with over 100PCs that have the option of getting broadband.ALl fine so far but... the maximum speed is...6Mb!

So i am looking to a smart proxy / caching solution to keep all sites visited in a single day cached locally for 24 hours,delete cache and then recreates next day and so on...or increase it to more than a day !?
    The internet access is provided by Heanet / NCTE /Digiweb over Eircom wires,just the speed is crap !

I will look at Squid over the weekend,in a VM and take it from there !

Thansk.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Censornet.com has academic pricing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

+1 for Squid, simple yet powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

Looking for a proxy server that has a very good web caching features/management !

Thanks in advance for sharing...

GFI Webmonitor is Very good, can seem somewhat expensive if there are a lot of users tough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks to all...i am going live this week on the site and we'll see how that goes !

Kind of pitty that Eircom/Digiweb/Heanet can't provide a better bband speed in the heart of D15 !!

6M !! Like my smart phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks to all...i am going live this week on the site and we'll see how that goes !

Kind of pitty that Eircom/Digiweb/Heanet can't provide a better bband speed in the heart of D15 !!

6M !! Like my smart phone...

Why 6mb, is it ADSL 1 or 2?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why 6mb, is it ADSL 1 or 2?
    at a guess the problem is distance from the exchange, in which case there is no benefit to ADSL 2

If you've only used windows then have a look at this - squid running on windows
    http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/Squid27.html
    http://www.serassio.it/SquidNT.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement