Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliances when renting

Options
  • 31-08-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Quick query moved into a nice new apartment but after unpacking, the craving for a cupa tea took over and to my disappointment i realised there was not Kettle, Microwave or Toaster.

Are Landlords suppose to supply these appliances or do I have to get these myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a requirement to provide cooking facilities, but not any of those. I'm not sure I would want to use a toaster that may or may not have been cleaned by strangers.

You should be able to get a toaster and a kettle for about €20 each and a microwave for a about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Quick query moved into a nice new apartment [...]

How new is new? :p

Know your rights

With that said, keep in mind they are small items and you can hand pick out your own and keep them easy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

swirlser wrote: »
    How new is new? :p

Know your rights

With that said, keep in mind they are small items and you can hand pick out your own and keep them easy enough...

Well they are three years old but we are the first tenants. Oven manual was still in the oven.

I followed that link and according to the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 under article 8 on Food Preparation and Storage and Laudry

Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable
    area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:
    (a) 4 ring hob with oven and grill,
    (
    b) Suitable facilities for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the
    external air by means of a cooker hood or extractor fan,
    (
    c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,
    (
    d) Microwave oven,
    (
    e) Sink, with a piped supply of cold water taken direct from the service
    pipe supplying water from the public main or other source to the
    building containing the house and a facility for the piped supply of
    hot water, and an adequate draining area,
    (
    f) Suitable and adequate number of kitchen presses for food storage
    purposes,
    (
    g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility
    within the curtilage of the building, and
    (
    h) Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive
    use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

I don't have a problem with getting a €20 Kettle and toaster but if they are suppose to supply us with a microwave then I will have to insist they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

AFAIK if the house/apartment has been let prior to 2009 (to anyone) then these minimum standards do not need to be met until 1st Feb 2013. I am not 100% sure so maybe someone could clarify. If however you definietly are the first tenants then yes these standards apply

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

My Grandmother is a Landlord and if one of her tenants asks her for something they need like a microwave or hoover etc she'll normally agree to get it for them. I think that's her just being nice though...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Saaron wrote: »
    My Grandmother is a Landlord and if one of her tenants asks her for something they need like a microwave or hoover etc she'll normally agree to get it for them. I think that's her just being nice though...?

Most landlords would be glad that they're tenants are asking for a Hoover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

... we are the first tenants ...

Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable
    area of the house, for the exclusive use of the house:
    (d) Microwave oven,
    (
    I don't have a problem with getting a €20 Kettle and toaster but if they are suppose to supply us with a microwave then I will have to insist they do.
    If its your landlord's first time renting out the property, they may just have not done their homework. Even disregarding the regulations above (which may not apply yet in all cases), a microwave is pretty much an item that tenants will expect these days. I don't think any place I have ever looked at has not had one. Its in the landlord's interests to kit out the palce properly and not loose prospective teants because of one or two missing basic necessities. I'd open the conversation with the landlord with this approach rather than going straight to the 'the law says so'. Something like:
    "A microwave is such a fundemental item to every rental property that i didn't even specifically look for it when I viewed the apartment. If I had noticed there was none, I'd have asked for one before signing the lease and most other people would be the same." Then mention the regulations so they can't just reply "Tough" (however politely they put it).

One other thing you might consider, and this will depend on the landlord's attitude (agreeable/confrontational/indifferent/reluctant), is offering to contribute something to the price if you want a decent model. If the landlord only reluctantly agrees to get one, you may end up with the cheapest piece of crap on the market. Which may meet your needs anyway. But if you'd like a high wattage model or whatever, you might need to suggest and contribute to this. But that would be your call based on how the chat goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

I was in a similar suitation one time when I moved into an apartment and it was very scarce on household appliances. There wasn't even a hoover. There was a microwave however.
    It's kind of a grey area. I think if you view the apartment and accept it, you accept the appliances or lack of that come with it.
    However I think a microwave would be an exception as it is unofficially part of the standard mod cons that are meant to come with a liveable rental property. However as mentioned, the landlord will most likely buy the cheapest piece one going.

As for the other appliances, I'd advise that you buy your own and keep them obviously when you move. You can buy as expensive or as cheap a quality as you wish then.
    Personally I bought a kettle, blender, toaster, iron, sandwich maker all for around 5 or 10 euro each in Tesco and they have all worked perfectly since.
    They even have very cheap microwaves for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Baralis1 wrote: »
    However I think a microwave would be an exception as it is unofficially part of the standard mod cons that are meant to come with a liveable rental property.
    No, according to the above, they are mandatory.

Advertisement