Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd problem with new graphics card.

Options
  • 01-09-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

So this problem isn't really to do with the graphics card, but it only started happening after I put it in so it must be related some how.

Basically what's happening is that when I turn on my computer the motherboard logo comes up for longer than it should and then the pc gets stuck at the "Loading operating system" screen that comes up just before windows loads. Now what's weird is that if i hit the reset button, the motherboard logo comes up briefly and windows boots normally. I have windows installed on an SSD so it's almost like it cant find it the first time i switch on.

From googling the problem there are a few people with similar issues but none of them can just switch off the computer and have it work again.

I'll have a look at the boot order in the bios again, but as far as i know everything was fine there. I'm just confused as to why a graphics card would cause this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What power supply do you have? and SSD?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

First off is the motherboard and is the SSD running in ACHI or IDE mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

B0X wrote: »
    So this problem isn't really to do with the graphics card, but it only started happening after I put it in so it must be related some how.

Basically what's happening is that when I turn on my computer the motherboard logo comes up for longer than it should and then the pc gets stuck at the "Loading operating system" screen that comes up just before windows loads. Now what's weird is that if i hit the reset button, the motherboard logo comes up briefly and windows boots normally. I have windows installed on an SSD so it's almost like it cant find it the first time i switch on.

From googling the problem there are a few people with similar issues but none of them can just switch off the computer and have it work again.

I'll have a look at the boot order in the bios again, but as far as i know everything was fine there. I'm just confused as to why a graphics card would cause this.

I know its really obvious and unlikely but did you check that all of the sata ports are plugged in correctly? Maybe when you were installing the graphics card you could have hit off the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Well the problem fixed itself somehow. Maybe it was some update causing windows to stall before it could load properly?

Advertisement