Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private motor insurance

Options
  • 01-09-2011 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a company which I can get my car insured with?

I am currently with 123.ie and I am not happy with the policy. I was happy with the premium 2 years ago but for me it's not great due to me changing addresses regularly.

I would be more interested in a reputable company as I am slightly better off financially. My premium is 800 or there abouts, fully comp living in Dublin with 5 years no claims bonus (almost 6 now).

I was with Zurich before and another company before that, through a broker so I forget them.

If I have a claim or any issues I don't want to get shafted as I spent a fair few bob on my car.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There is no quick and easy option with car insurance. Shop around all the different insurance companys and then pick the one that suits you best in terms of price and features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Random wrote: »
    There is no quick and easy option with car insurance. Shop around all the different insurance companys and then pick the one that suits you best in terms of price and features.

Well shopping around will only get you the price... It won't let me know which company is good to deal with when it comes to a claim or other. I know who offers the cheapest insurance for what I want in terms of price/features... but that's not important if there are issues with claiming from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Can anybody recommend a company which I can get my car insured with?

I am currently with 123.ie and I am not happy with the policy. I was happy with the premium 2 years ago but for me it's not great due to me changing addresses regularly.

I would be more interested in a reputable company as I am slightly better off financially. My premium is 800 or there abouts, fully comp living in Dublin with 5 years no claims bonus (almost 6 now).
    :eek:

What the hell do you drive, and what age are you!? If nothing fancy and you are over 25, you are being absolutely had there and likely should be paying no more than 350-500 regardless of where you live.

Also, be sure you do get granted that sixth year. No claims bonuses are capped at 5 (evne if you have not had a claim in 30 years), but you can get all the way up to 9. That will be listed as 'points/years on scale' on your renewal documents, and not 'years claims free' or any of that other stuff. Not sure why, but the insurance industry seems to go out of it's way to decieve people over the no claims bonus by putting lots of conflicting information on there.
    If I have a claim or any issues I don't want to get shafted as I spent a fair few bob on my car.
    Not sure if there are rules about naming companies here when speaking badly about them, but I can tell you a very prominent company in Ireland who have outsourced their call centres to India are an absolute, unbelievable nightmare to deal with. The sun will most definitely not be shining on your face if you have to deal with them in any way, beyond giving them money.

Chartis, in my experience, are a dream to deal with. Zurich and Allianz are very, very good on that end as well.

Also make sure to get full bonus protection; a lot of places will give you step back (so a claim will mean you lose 2-3 years NCB) and sell it as 'bonus protection' so technically they are not lying. Something to be cautious of.

There is also a company whose financial issues have been well documented in the recent past... avoid. Why get insured by a company who are unsure of their own future? They are/were known for cheap quotes, but ironically their under-charging everyone has now lead to everybody else (including themselves) having to over-charging everybody, via the gov't levy. Not very responsible.

Be sure to know what you want going in, and to quiz the person on the other end of the phone about those benefits also. You can dress the worst policy in the world up to look quite good, but they cannot directly lie about them if you ask directly. So if they start side-stepping answers or givign you bloated responses... that's a big red flag.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm with Chartis through the AA and wrote my car off in 2009, the claims process was very straightforward and I got a very good price for the car I had wrecked. I'd imagined I'd have to fight to get the value I though it was worth but I didn't have to at all, they just offered it outright.

I had NCB protection, so I kept my NCB but the condition on mine is that I have to stay with Chartis for 3 years after the claim. I was worried about this initially because essentially they have you over a barrel in this situation, they could increase my premium and there'd be nothing I could do about it, but they didn't, I think my insurance was €420 this year for fully comp, 25 year old female living in Dublin with 6 years no claims. If I have another claim within the 3 years then the NCB is stepped back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Billy86 wrote: »
    :eek:

Chartis, in my experience, are a dream to deal with.
    They may well be but they've given a quote way more pricey than anything else so far - NO thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement