Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

seems to be tracking south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM at 48 hours is further east and a bit further south than the 12Z GFS.

delw wrote: »
    how often is that updated maq?

A few times an hour. Not sure how long the floater will stay active though now that Katia is ex-Katia and the NHC is no longer issuing advisories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Should people be worried?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Further east and south albeit slightly weaker so it seems.

Next 2 models are essential. If we still don't have matching models by tomorrow morning we're in a nowcast scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

A few times an hour. Not sure how long the floater will stay active though now that Katia is ex-Katia and the NHC is no longer issuing advisories.
    certinaly seems south of the track anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why you think this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its either further North and Stronger or Further East and Weaker, just our luck.

I think its currently pretty much on track myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

God I wonder how Ireland can deal with a hurricane? It just seems like a foreign Idea to me!

Did you even read the thread before posting?

There is no hurricane, it is the remnants of what used to be a hurricane and, in any case, it will go far enough north of us not to cause any concern away from the coasts Donegal, Sligo and Mayo.

I am so tired of the population being dumbed-down by the tabloids who hype these things up and often just down right lie about them (see the cover of the english Sun today and the irish Daily Star article). :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Why you think this?
    I think its currently pretty much on track myself.

ok sorry hit "refresh" & does seem to be on track :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2 models show further north and eastwards, 2 models show further south and eastwards, one of the south-favoured models is a bit weather than the other models.

My calculations see it about 200-250 miles directly north Galway city on +48hrs, based on its current speed and its L/L progress over a period of 6 hours. Very rough calculations but nyeh I was intrigued to see what I'd get :P

Looks like the 12Z HWRF was the only 12Z model that had the correct pressure for ex-Katia at the start of its run.

huk769.gif

It deepens it as far as 943mb at 33 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I must say the current depression affecting us is no puppy dog. I'd get excited about the idea of a series deep depressions following each other near Ireland if it wasn't for the high building currently in the models for after ex-Katia. Pity because Maria might have wanted to play next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I think that a lot of people will think that Katia has arrived. As it gets dark the wind sounds far worse. I have just walked the dogs by the sea & peak gust on my handheld was 40mph 64kph but it sounds much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

dsmythy wrote: »
    I must say the current depression affecting us is no puppy dog. I'd get excited about the idea of a series deep depressions following each other near Ireland if it wasn't for the high building currently in the models for after ex-Katia. Pity because Maria might have wanted to play next week.

So we don't need to worry about Maria then next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Discodog wrote: »
    I think that a lot of people will think that Katia has arrived. As it gets dark the wind sounds far worse. I have just walked the dogs by the sea & peak gust on my handheld was 40mph 64kph but it sounds much worse.

just on that note...are winds stronger at night time??

fryup wrote: »
    just on that note...are winds stronger at night time??

Not sure but when your tucked in under your blankee and hear the wind roar outside it is more dramatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

ECM certainly keeps the alert very much alive, and the track of the storm past three hours is somewhat slow to gain latitude, looks to be near 46N 40W at 1930z. Neither clue is sufficient to throw the downgrade concept into the bin by any means, so I'm going to hold steady on current alert to avoid potential flip-flop in the morning.

What's always concerned me about Katia is that we have almost no analogues for a rapidly moving ex-hurricane on this track with such tropical parameters being dragged across 18-22 C waters. Technical for some, but what I mean is that 576 dm thickness (almost never encountered in Ireland or UK) typical of full mT air mass conditions in North America, is still attached to the storm centre despite supposed transition already complete, so at the moment I would describe the storm as hybrid and not fully extratropical.

With the immediate track over somewhat warmer water than past 6-12 hours and with such fast forward speed, Katia will be making its final transition overnight and Sunday morning around 20W, so if it doesn't lift off the runway as fast as expected, Ireland could in fact get nailed by the sort of explosive decompression of all that tropical energy. One analogue that has me concerned is the one and only Pacific hurricane that ever reached this region, Freda in 1962 (October 12th), the infamous "Columbus Day storm" as it was known in Washington state ... this storm came from the Hawaiian central Pacific theatre of tropical cyclones, maintained a 958 mb centre, and crossed Vancouver Island but its strongest winds were near the U.S.-Canada border including northwest Washington state. Thousands of trees were blown over in both the Olympic peninsula and around Vancouver (notably in Stanley Park) and as you may know, trees around here are not that easy to blow down. Wind gusts reached almost 200 km/hr.

There are no other west coast analogues, because we only get weak remnants of Mexican theatre tropical storms, and the central theatre is not very productive (2-3 a year on average, many never leave the subtropics). We get plenty of typhoon remnants from the western Pacific here, but these have always undergone transition far out to our west.

So with that in mind, I don't wish to relax my guard on this storm until it actually contracts the wind field and pulls it past some safe point like 55N
    12W as some of the models want us to believe. Call me a skeptic on that right now and we'll see where Katia crosses 50N ... anywhere east of 30W and we are in a "game on" situation.

It will be interesting to see if the 18Z GFS corrects the pressure at the start of the run or if that will happen on the 0Z instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

hey,, can some of you guys explain to a dumb ass (me) how strong is this storm going to be..I cant trust what the papers say because they normally blow things up.

I notice tonight that winds are kinda strong but probably normal for this time of year. The storm is expected to hit tomorrow night into Monday.

How do you guys predict this will turn out?

Like will it be a one in 2 year 5 year 10 year and so on or will it just be an average Autumn storm?
    I'm guessing its not going to be very bad because the tabloids are blowing it up to be massive and RTE doesn't have it near its main stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its on channel 4 million pound drop live tv show one of the questions "what caused major disruption on east coast on usa and is due to strike uk today" -answer was katia lol:pac:
    But I thought it never made landfall in the usa also its due to strike monday in uk wtf :pac::pac:

So Evelyn said tonights weather is from Ex hurricane Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Pangea wrote: »

No, Lee is an ex-tropical storm, not an ex-hurricane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Pangea wrote: »

I thought that had just crossed to the east coast of the states?!
    :confused:

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    hey,, can some of you guys explain to a dumb ass (me) how strong is this storm going to be..I cant trust what the papers say because they normally blow things up.

I notice tonight that winds are kinda strong but probably normal for this time of year. The storm is expected to hit tomorrow night into Monday.

How do you guys predict this will turn out?

Like will it be a one in 2 year 5 year 10 year and so on or will it just be an average Autumn storm?
    I'm guessing its not going to be very bad because the tabloids are blowing it up to be massive and RTE doesn't have it near its main stories.

Forget the papers and just read the forecasts and warnings on met.ie :)

Beyond that, if you want a bit more, read MT Craniums posts in this thread and in his forecast thread.

I thought that had just crossed to the east coast of the states?!
    :confused:

I could have sworn that too myself

So we don't need to worry about Maria then next week?

Highly unlikely to come anywhere near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Dunno about that, Lee was mainly falling apart over eastern U.S. as Katia went by on Thursday, some of the remnant energy may have fed around in the jet stream to energize this current low, but it really has little if anything to do with Lee.

But Sunday night is all Katia, no doubt about that.

Previous posters were right, Katia had almost no effect on the U.S. except for some big swells on east coast beaches, the TV folk were no doubt thinking of Irene.

To those asking, how bad? Bear with us, the general consensus is that it won't be too bad a storm except possibly in a few northwest coastal locations, but opinions could change in a hurry if the next round of guidance changes the storm track closer to Ireland.

It won't quite be a case of waiting to find out, but I don't expect a really definitive forecast on this until mid-day Sunday.

• Advertisement

I remember last year we were all prepared for a bad storm by the media but it turned out to be quite a damp squid, the following weekend then we got a much worse storm and the media were quite muted by that stage.

Advertisement