Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Yep bang on cattle also very wound up wud have pics but had to go connaught match lol
    all sheep are lying down against ditch all day, then again rain and wind all day also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

no idea if this is true, but google reveals the following:-

If birds are flying high in the sky, there will probably be fair weather. (Falling air pressure caused by an imminent storm causes discomfort in birds' ears, so they fly low to alleviate it. Large numbers of birds roosting on power lines indicates swiftly falling air pressure.)
    Seagulls tend to stop flying and take refuge at the coast if a storm is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Not a single crow to be seen around today - they definitely high-tailed it out of here. Their instinct obviously warned them of perilous times that would befall them if they didn't shift quick-smartish out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NAE 18z well to the northwest

@952mb

Think NAE first to handle the actual pressure.

NAE isn't a global model though, I guess its getting its boundary information from the 12Z UKMO +6, which would still have the incorrect pressure for Katia at the start.

I don't think any of the models have a proper handle on it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

snow ghost wrote: »
    Not a single crow to be seen around today - they definitely high-tailed it out of here. Their instinct obviously warned them of perilous times that would befall them if they didn't shift quick-smartish out of here.
    Yep not a sign of them now on land today next to trees where they are literally hundreds eating worms etc I reckon minor storm or major storm these lads know to be careful they are quite intelligent birds when u study them for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭elainesnuffles

On note about birds etc same as in Galway here hundreds of crows hundreds of seagulls very weird here 5 years never seen it before crows normally head out am and come back pm they went nowhere today just hung about this could be a moderate storm or much worse next while will be crucial
    On that note i live in cork and my dogs have been acting strange all day, restless anxious and barking at nothing, can they sense the approaching storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Or
    It's so windy today they took cover, recent gust of 47kts at Mace head.

Top marks to WC and Maq for the constant analysis and updates.:D

Or

Hasn't really been that windy here tbh, had a gusty period earlier but nothing major and not enough to scare the crows - they usually have great craic with the gulls riding the thermals in wilder winds than we got earlier here.

Or

Yeah but I follow this thread daily and on winter put up text animals are behaving more weird than normal IMO anyhow superb work from mt legend

On that note i live in cork and my dogs have been acting strange all day, restless anxious and barking at nothing, can they sense the approaching storm?

It is possible but much more likely they are sensing paranormal activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭elainesnuffles

It is possible but much more likely they are sensing paranormal activity.
    Must go to the paranormal forum so ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Thanks for the update on the crow situation, nothing unusual down here.......yet:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Hi guys cant really understand all the weather talk, i just want to ask is this storm going to be a record breaker?

Or

Yeah but I follow this thread daily and on winter put up text animals are behaving more weird than normal IMO anyhow superb work from mt legend
    On a storm history note I remember the storm in 1991 the noise was horrific in Galway like a funnel screaming it was very very scary let's see what tommorow brings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

This my view from work. Looking SW down Donegal Bay. Tide was about 2ft from top of quay tonight !! Wonder what Monday's 6.30am high tide will bring ?!?!

b623fb25.jpg

18Z HIRLAM is a downgrade, slightly weaker and further north & east of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Hi guys cant really understand all the weather talk, i just want to ask is this storm going to be a record breaker?

Very unlikely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Will be interesting to see how this actually turns out but gut feeling now is that this so called storm will be nothing special for lots. To many downgrades in the last 24 hours or so. Will be watching from afar with great interest all the same ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

true the storm is being down graded but 56knot reached today in the mullet from its predecessor low and id say malin will still get near 70 knot though belmullet will prob only get 60 and mace and further south 50 or less

Fax chart with human input shows the true pressure, lower than what the models have.

2ewkznq.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pretty Stormy here at the moment.
    Time to call it a night, hopefully M.T. will have a few surprises in the forecast tomorrow (wishful thinking eh)

Ex-Katia starting to come into view on this loop.

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Is it in the position that was expected or a little further North in your opinion Maq?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dunno about that, Lee was mainly falling apart over eastern U.S. as Katia went by on Thursday, some of the remnant energy may have fed around in the jet stream to energize this current low, but it really has little if anything to do with Lee.

But Sunday night is all Katia, no doubt about that.

Previous posters were right, Katia had almost no effect on the U.S. except for some big swells on east coast beaches, the TV folk were no doubt thinking of Irene.

To those asking, how bad? Bear with us, the general consensus is that it won't be too bad a storm except possibly in a few northwest coastal locations, but opinions could change in a hurry if the next round of guidance changes the storm track closer to Ireland.

It won't quite be a case of waiting to find out, but I don't expect a really definitive forecast on this until mid-day Sunday.

I got the impression the pressure differential from Lee was what kept Katia from barrelling into the USA, as per Irene, by forcing it out to sea and in that sense, it was at least partially responsible for deflecting the storm our way. Am I reading that right?

Also on the topic of different systems interacting, will the fact that ex-Katia seems to be running right into the back of the existing low currently centred over the Rockall area serve to weaken it, or divert it off its plotted course?

Is it in the position that was expected or a little further North in your opinion Maq?

It looked on track to me last time I looked but I'm sure MT and WC will be checking for any deviations.

Have to snooze now, early start for the rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sounds real windy out now so brought out the wind yokey and turned on the wind reader on my weather station. WIND yokey handheld read 33knots but had to stand out on main road and cars were beeping and wind reader read 28 knots so I think you have to wait a long time for a good gust. Seemed really strong the wind but checked Finner and its only reading 30knot too. hope tomorrow brings more excitement than this:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

sorry for stupid question but is Ex-Katia a high pressure system?
    reason i ask,low pressure anticlockwise but this system clockwise or is that the extra-tropical storm?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

delw wrote: »

No.

High Pressure = less cloudy/sunny days
    Low pressure = heavy/cloudy/rain/wind

In Lehman's lehman's terms!

delw wrote: »

Yep 7 am start c u 2mrw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

No.

High Pressure = less cloudy/sunny days
    Low pressure = heavy/cloudy/rain/wind

In Lehman's lehman's terms!
    i understand what you are saying cherrygoast(or do i:confused:) but reason i ask was on sat it looks to be coming clockwise but i though highs went clockwise

Advertisement