Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc when renting,

Options
  • 01-09-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon folks ,
    Im currently renting a 2bed apartment and when i moved in the Landlord had 2months left on his upc contract,As he didnt want to break his contract the Letting agent asked me would i mind keeping Upc for 2 months it would be up mid August(as i wanted to change to sky), and the landlord would pay for it,I agreed figured it would save me a few quid for 2 months tv .
    The problem is it is now September and the UPC is still going, can i ring UPC and ask them when is the contract up or will the landlord have to do it, its just he is very slow at responding to things id like to get it sorted myself,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Good afternoon folks ,
    Im currently renting a 2bed apartment and when i moved in the Landlord had 2months left on his upc contract,As he didnt want to break his contract the Letting agent asked me would i mind keeping Upc for 2 months it would be up mid August(as i wanted to change to sky), and the landlord would pay for it,I agreed figured it would save me a few quid for 2 months tv .
    The problem is it is now September and the UPC is still going, can i ring UPC and ask them when is the contract up or will the landlord have to do it, its just he is very slow at responding to things id like to get it sorted myself,

You should ring the landlord, he's the one dealing with UPC. Or send him a letter. If he's slow at responding to thigns, you get more UPC time at no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

upc will only talk to the account holder id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Not sure I see the issue here, its the LLs contract with UPC and not your concern as to when its switched off.

You can be nice and send a reminder to the LL that UPC is still active and it is in his own interest to ensure the service is cancelled, but it really doesnt affect you. (Im assuming you havent said anywhere you agree to take over the service? Make it clear in writing to cover yourself if necessary)

Not your contract, not your problem.

Go and get Sky if you want it, or ride on the free telly as long as its going!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Warning- unless Sky is available via a communal dish in the development- you are almost certainly in breach of leasehold arrangements, if you get your own dish. You are *not* entitled to have your own satellite dish. If you install one- the Management Company is within its rights to remove it and to bill you the cost of removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

If your getting free telly dont complain!

Of course email the LL and let know the contract is up if he wants to cancel
    now but if i were you id try keep it going as long as the LL is paying for it!

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Warning- unless Sky is available via a communal dish in the development- you are almost certainly in breach of leasehold arrangements

Some places don't object, others say you can't and enforce it, and others say you can't but don't do anything about it, can always check, although the fact he's already said to the agent he intends on getting sky and wasn't told it's not allowed is an indicator.

Or just look at your building, dishes on half the places?

I've lived in a couple of places that has said no dishes allowed, saw others with them and went ahead and got one myself. In fact the very place I'm in now doesn't allow them and there is a communal one on the roof but I'm still using the one that was already on my place! I even asked the installer to connect me to the one on the roof, he said different department and he's not doing it... So I said fair enough!

It doesn't bother me where the dish is and while I do think it looks neater with just one on the roof, but I'm not battling anyone over such rubbish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its not the case that you can simply say- everyone else is doing it, so I'm going to do it too. In most cases its not in the lease just for fun- but because its a term of the planning associated with the development. You are risking council enforcement action by putting up a dish in most cases.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its not the case that you can simply say- everyone else is doing it, so I'm going to do it too.

Well in a way it is! No, it doesn't change any rules which may be in place and even if every single apartment had a dish out so you decide to join in there is still a risk that you could find yourself having to deal with consequences should someone decide to enforce it...

And while you feel the need to make the OP aware that these rules might be in place (and indeed he should check that out), you and I both know if half the places do have dishes up and some there so many years you can see it's weathered condition that the odds are quite favourable nothing will be said/done if he does go ahead and get sky in. The agent really should have advised him against it if such rules were in place, but they didn't.

I think developers or MCs should work with sky when developing apartment blocks so this would never be an issue, it's wasteful and quite ugly to see a hundred dishes on the side of a building. But that's not the way it is.

Advertisement