Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7.5 Month old won't take her bottle!

• 01-09-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,
    Just looking for some advice/shared experiences on the following!

Our 7.5 month old girl has just started to refuse taking her bottle this last week, it's a constant battle with her. She normally would have between 18 and 20 oz's a day or so but she's really struggling these last few days.

She is on hungry milk, was always bottle fed, is on 3 meals a day and we are starting finger food with her - she is teething so we do consider this to be a factor.

When I googled this (yes it can be a mistake!) there were quite a few people saying that there children just had gone off bottled milk and they had gone to their doctor and there doctor advised switching to regular milk with vitiman d drops and make sure they have food with very high nutrional values (she already does!).

So before we go on panicing, has anyone got experience of their babies coming off bottle milk to regular milk at such an early stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Hey everyone,
    Just looking for some advice/shared experiences on the following!

Our 7.5 month old girl has just started to refuse taking her bottle this last week, it's a constant battle with her. She normally would have between 18 and 20 oz's a day or so but she's really struggling these last few days.

She is on hungry milk, was always bottle fed, is on 3 meals a day and we are starting finger food with her - she is teething so we do consider this to be a factor.

When I googled this (yes it can be a mistake!) there were quite a few people saying that there LO's just had gone off bottled milk and they had gone to their doctor and there doctor advised switching to regular milk with vitiman d drops and make sure they have food with very high nutrional values (she already does!).

So before we go on panicing, has anyone got experience of their babies coming off bottle milk to regular milk at such an early stage?

Have u tried rubbing some bonjela on gums beforehand. Also not sure how many bottles baby taking but if its 4 would you try cut it back to 3. Also they go through stages so i'd really hold off on cows milk maybe try normal formula instead of hungry as it might be very heavy now wit all that food

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sineadc1984

My child did the very same around that age and it was her teeth it was a nightmare for about a week then we rubbed bonjela in and i also put the teet of the bottle in the freezer for a few mins and it seemed to help!! All these phases pass mine is not refusing to eat anything really apart from yoghurts and anything cold. She does it everytime a tooth is coming and I'm still not used to it I still panic when she wont eat!! Try not to worry too much unless it continues for more than a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

She might not be hungry enough for it.
    Babies also go through fussy stages during growth spurts and teething , I would not worry nor would I move her to cows milk yet.

The Public health nurse can advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. It has to be her teething alright, we've started to apply bonjela and it's make a bit of a difference, still really hit and miss!

We have her on 3 bottles a day, sometimes she'll drink the full thing and others she'll have an ounce and no more!!

Thanks for the advice, hard not to panic at times because we just want her to drink!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Maybe she has a sore throat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Our daughter was and is exactly the same. At 4 months or so she dropped her 11pm feed herself - just refused to drink and roared crying when we tried to give it to her. Then about a month or so ago (she's nearly 8 months now) she refused her 4 o'clock bottle - would not drink it all. As she started creche a couple of weeks later we moved her 12 bottle to 4 o'clock as she gets her dinner midday now. And now this week she is refusing her 4 o'clock bottle again! Have a funny feeling we'll be dropping it leaving her on just two a day!

She absolutely loves her grub though. Took to it like a duck to water and wants to eat everything we're having too. Obsessed with food! I think as long as they're gaining weight, are healthy and you're giving nutritious meals as you say then there's nothing to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

my little man is like that now

8 months old

routine is like this at the min

5.30-6 am bottle usually takes 6oz

9am breakfast

sleep 10-12

12pm 5-6 oz bottle

2pm dinner

sleep about 2.30 to 3.30 ( depends )

4pm 5-6 oz bottle

6pm dinner

7pm 3 oz bottle

sleep 7.30-8 to 5.30-6

happy days

but past 2 days he just takes bottle at 5.30-6 and struggle to get any other bottle into him , he eats all his dinners tho , so ????

what could it be

Advertisement