Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

RangeR wrote: »
    seligehgit wrote: »
    How does one unlock it Kenny?PM me if you wish,I'd appreciate your advice,loads of on line unlocking sites,hard to see wood through the trees!:D

Normally Google is your friend but in this case www.xda-developers.com is your friend.

:D

This is the best place to start, have a read here before committing to buy.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/sgs-2-sim-unlock-code-finder-frees-your-sgs-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

:D

This is the best place to start, have a read here before committing to buy.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/sgs-2-sim-unlock-code-finder-frees-your-sgs-2/

Sounds a bit risky??Found a thread on that website's forum re the sensation,has 2 alternate methods for unlocking the device.Might just pay the few extra euro with expansys,rather than save the few euro and potentially be unable to definitely unlock myself from Vodafone?How likely is it that these unlocks could fry your phone and void one's guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

FearDark wrote: »
    Its the best phone out at the minute, absolutely crushes the iPhone 4, they dont even compare. Downside of the phone is poor battery life and dont let anyone convince you that its anything less than poor. Still, wouldnt trade it for the world.

How long would you get out of a full charge? Also, the last time I upgraded, the salesperson tried to push the Iphone 4 onto me. I wouldn't take it though. Sounded like they were desperate to get rid of them.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How long would you get out of a full charge? Also, the last time I upgraded, the salesperson tried to push the Iphone 4 onto me. I wouldn't take it though. Sounded like they were desperate to get rid of them.....?

Apples and Oranges. If you compare the SGS battery to a Nokia 5110, then yes, it's piss poor.
    If you compare the SGS battery to ANY large display phone out there today, iPhone included, it's highly comparable.

With all of these large display devices, you will be hard pushed to get two days of use out of them. But it all depends on how you use it. If it spends most of it's time in your pocket with screen off, you might even get three days out of it.

Apples and Oranges. If you compare the SGS battery to a Nokia 5110, then yes, it's piss poor.If you compare the SGS battery to ANY large display phone out there today, iPhone included, it's highly comparable.

With all of these large display devices, you will be hard pushed to get two days of use out of them. But it all depends on how you use it. If it spends most of it's time in your pocket with screen off, you might even get three days out of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_5110. You mean this piece of ****??

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_5110. You mean this piece of ****??

Yes. The battery in those types of phone could last a week or more without recharge. And the 5110 was THE best phone in it's day.

Yes. The battery in those types of phone could last a week or more without recharge. And the 5110 was THE best phone in it's day.

:D LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not comparing like with like. Turn off 3g etc on galaxy and the battery will last a full week.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Not comparing like with like. Turn off 3g etc on galaxy and the battery will last a full week.

Ive got a symbol on my current phone - NOKIA 5230 - which reads "3.5G" - its in the top left hand corner of the screen under the signal bar...what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It means it senses a 3.5g network. Does it have push-mail like on android? Does it have loads of apps active that poll the network?

Fact: I was in London so I turned 3g off (lol meteor roaming charges). Desire lasted a full mon-fri on one charge. Was used as mp3 player and for some calls (not that much) during the full week. SGS2 has bigger battery (bigger screen too tho) and gets good battery life with latest rom. 3g and data sync are the main killer of battery, and it's even worse if you have weak signal.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    It means it senses a 3.5g network. Does it have push-mail like on android? Does it have loads of apps active that poll the network?

Fact: I was in London so I turned 3g off (lol meteor roaming charges). Desire lasted a full mon-fri on one charge. Was used as mp3 player and for some calls (not that much) during the full week. SGS2 has bigger battery (bigger screen too tho) and gets good battery life with latest rom. 3g and data sync are the main killer of battery, and it's even worse if you have weak signal.

Its got the home screen and another symbol(a small dot and a blue square with arrows pointing in different directions)on it when I check the Open App's. What does the second one mean?

EDIT - first symbol means menu. What do u mean by push mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The Galaxy S2 is fine by me so far.

The display is outstanding, seriously the best I have seen, decent sized too. There is some kind of feature whereby when the background colour is black it's not backlit, so the colours stand out and the blacks are really black.

The camera is surprisingly good too, also has a HD video recorder and all the usual bells and whistles. Very responsive in everyday use too.

3 are doing an offer at the moment, 24 months x €40 contract = 16GB phone for 'free'.

+ free 3 network to 3 network calls, all you can eat data, + 350 units free per month, (where one unit =1 minute of call or 2 texts). There are multiple other add-ons to go with that.

Morlar wrote: »
    The Galaxy S2 is fine by me so far.

The display is outstanding, seriously the best I have seen, decent sized too. There is some kind of feature whereby when the background colour is black it's not backlit, so the colours stand out and the blacks are really black.

The camera is surprisingly good too, also has a HD video recorder and all the usual bells and whistles. Very responsive in everyday use too.

3 are doing an offer at the moment, 24 months x €40 contract = 16GB phone for 'free'.

+ free 3 network to 3 network calls, all you can eat data, + 350 units free per month, (where one unit =1 minute of call or 2 texts). There are multiple other add-ons to go with that

That'll probably change by February - when I'm due my upgrade!?

I've had a few friends say that this phone is very awkward to use......? Are they right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

For me a full charge lasts about 24 hours, I'm a very heavy user of the internet/games/videos though - you'd probably get two days out of it if you were only texting/phone calls etc but I never have as I tend to forget to turn off WiFi when not using it, I also like to have the screen settings up to the max!

I've had a few friends say that this phone is very awkward to use......? Are they right?

Awkward how? Well, its very big but its extremely thin, I don't find anything awkward on it at all, I suppose the hardest thing for me to adapt to was going from buttons to a touch screen for texting and if I'm honest I still prefer buttons...

For me a full charge lasts about 24 hours, I'm a very heavy user of the internet/games/videos though - you'd probably get two days out of it if you were only texting/phone calls etc but I never have as I tend to forget to turn off WiFi when not using it, I also like to have the screen settings up to the max!

Cheers.

Awkward how? Well, its very big but its extremely thin, I don't find anything awkward on it at all, I suppose the hardest thing for me to adapt to was going from buttons to a touch screen for texting and if I'm honest I still prefer buttons...

Fiddly.......too many menus? I prefer touch screen for texting. I wouldnt go back to a button phone anymore.

For me a full charge lasts about 24 hours, I'm a very heavy user of the internet/games/videos though - you'd probably get two days out of it if you were only texting/phone calls etc but I never have as I tend to forget to turn off WiFi when not using it

Download, install and configure ... llama.

This will give you a huge boost in battery life. You can configure it to automatically ...
    • Turn on WIFI at home or work. Turn off at all other places
    • Turn off bluetooth at home or work. Turn on in the car [leaving home or work]
    • Mute your phone between 10pm through 6am.
    • Turn on or off most other services in a similar fashion.

Location and/or time based rules. Fantastic app and free.

It can be akward in the sense that smaller phones are one handed phones. You can hold and text with one hand.

SGS or SGS2 are two handed phones. Hold with one hand and text with the other. It can take a while for some people to get used to.

It can be akward in the sense that smaller phones are one handed phones. You can hold and text with one hand.

SGS or SGS2 are two handed phones. Hold with one hand and text with the other. It can take a while for some people to get used to.

I can hold my current phone - Nokia 5230 - and text with one hand. Is the SGS/SGS2 bigger than this phone?

I can hold my current phone - Nokia 5230 - and text with one hand. Is the SGS/SGS2 bigger than this phone?

Yes.

Nokia 5230 - 111 x 51.7 x 15.5 mm, 83 cc [3.2 inch screen but different aspect ratio]
    SGS - 122.4 x 64.2 x 9.9 mm [4.0 inch screen]
    SGS2 - 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm [4.3 inch screen]

Courtesy of GSM Arena.

EDIT : Side by Side comparison

• Advertisement

Yes.

Nokia 5230 - 111 x 51.7 x 15.5 mm, 83 cc [3.2 inch screen but different aspect ratio]
    SGS - 122.4 x 64.2 x 9.9 mm [4.0 inch screen]
    SGS2 - 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.5 mm [4.3 inch screen]

Courtesy of GSM Arena.

EDIT : Side by Side comparison

Hmmmmm........I went to my local Carphone Warehouse yesterday, but they had none in stock to have a look at.
    EDIT: Even the staff there are telling me to go for the Galaxy, rather than an Iphone.

A full charge lasts me for about the same - maybe a bit longer - on the Nokia. I rarely use the internet on it, it's mainly used for calling/texting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If you have a galaxy s2 I recommend 'Assasins Creed HD' (free trial) or 'Asphalt 6 HD' (free burnout clone). Never used to put games on phones but with this sized screen it's really worth the download.

Stupid question time:

Which is better: The S or the S2? And what's the difference?

Stupid question time:

Which is better: The S or the S2? And what's the difference?

S2 hands down. Use GSM Arena to get the grisley.

Summary:
    S2 is better [bigger screen, faster processors]
    It all depends on what you use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mangledbadgers

Option 1
    18 month @ €60pm including free SGS2 = €1080 minimum over the 18 months.

Option 2
    Purchase phone yourself from Expansys = €580
    and take out a rolling 30 day sim only contract @ €20pm = €360 minimum for 18 months.

Option 1 costs you €1080 over 18 months. You MUST run the full 18 months.
    Option 2 only costs you €940 over 18 months but you can cancel the sim only contract with only 30 days notice, at any time.

EDIT : Actually, the SGS2 is only free when you spend €100 a month. Change option 1, above, to €1800~ over the 18 month course. A difference of nearly €1000 over option 2

Got best deal with Meteor (instore) Paid €140 for SG2 billpay, 12 months x 25e = 300e + 6 months x 30e =180e = €620 (Also got 30e worth of accessories thrown in) Bill pay package gets me 200 mins/200 texts and 1gb. Am very happy with it... also bought spare battery which fits in wallet in times of need...

S2 hands down. Use GSM Arena to get the grisley.

Summary:
    S2 is better [bigger screen, faster processors]
    It all depends on what you use it for.

To get to the what?????

To get to the what?????

On GSM Arena, you can compare any two phones, side by side to compare various aspects

On GSM Arena, you can compare any two phones, side by side to compare various aspects

LOL ok thanks:D. I've no idea what all the figures mean on the comparisons...:confused:

• Advertisement

LOL ok thanks:D. I've no idea what all the figures mean on the comparisons...:confused:

In that case, it boils down to which one feels more comfortable to use. Pop into most mobile outlets and pick up both.

Advertisement