Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whatever happened to the Green Wave?

• 01-09-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Remember when the 30kph limits were brought in for a few streets around Dublin city centre? You might recall that the Council tried to placate the uproar by saying they would bring in a Green Wave to allow you to drive along uninterrupted hitting green light after green light so long as you kept to the 30kph limit.

Now, we all know that the 30kph limit was widely ignored by motorists, but whatever happened to the Green Wave? Where is it being held? Should we call amnesty, or form our own support group?

I was reminded of the Green Wave this morning when I got the equivalent of the "Red Puck In The Gob" by getting stuck at every set of lights along the Ringsend Rd-Pearse St strip into town. I also recall someone saying that some lights in Dublin City Centre had been set so as to stop you more frequently than necessary to discourage people from using their cars at all. Could that possibly be true?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did you intend posting this in the cycling forum? If so, what's the relevance? If not, I can move it to Motors for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Well, I was cycling at the time... 30kph is a nice rolling along speed on a bike...
    Also, I consider the denizens of the cycling forum are a bit more on the ball than some other forums (unnamed).

I suppose you could move it, you may use your judgement.

If it's being moved I'd suggest Commuting & Transport in Soc might be better than Motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You won't have any luck consulting drivers, since no one respects that absurd limit anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

check_six wrote: »
    Well, I was cycling at the time... 30kph is a nice rolling along speed on a bike... .
    What are you worrying about lights for then? Don't you know that cyclists never stop at red?
    sorry, couldn't wait till friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Remember that this sort of thing is designed to favour only one route at the expense of the others. This means that if travelling along the quays you might get a 'green wave' but traffic crossing the bridges gets no synchronisation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lumen wrote: »
    You won't have any luck consulting drivers, since no one respects that absurd limit anyway. :pac:

Motorists, breaking traffic laws, how dare they? Only cyclists are allowed break the laws, green wave doesn't apply to us as we never stop at red lights anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Remember that this sort of thing is designed to favour only one route at the expense of the others. This means that if travelling along the quays you might get a 'green wave' but traffic crossing the bridges gets no synchronisation.

East-West: green wave.
    North-South: red finger.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was wondering if it was some kind of secret Orwellian signal, that only other Orwellians would recognise and acknowledge ....;)

Advertisement