Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of Graphics Card?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am planning on buying a new laptop (or PC! haven't decided yet.), and I will want to play games such as GTA Episodes of Libery City, Call of Duty etc...

What I am wondering is, what do I have to look for so that these computers will play these games?

I bought a laptop at the start of the year, and the games can't be played due to the graphics card on it!

Any info is much appreciated.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

one2one wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am planning on buying a new laptop (or PC! haven't decided yet.), and I will want to play games such as GTA Episodes of Libery City, Call of Duty etc...

What I am wondering is, what do I have to look for so that these computers will play these games?

I bought a laptop at the start of the year, and the games can't be played due to the graphics card on it!

Regards.

Whats your budget?

You can get a proper gaming PC for as little as 400 euros delivered (for the box alone)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

one2one wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Regards.

EDIT: Updated correctly... :)

hmmmm..... Graphic cards are iffy to find and fit for laptops, especially pre-built ones made by Dell, Acer or HP etc. Your gonna have a hard time finding one that fits your laptop plus can keep cool in there. My friend has a laptop with graphics card in it that reaches temperatures of over 90*c and it melted onto the motherboard it was built on .... :(

You could go with a portable desktop PC that has a shell with a built-in carry handle which can fit very powerful components onto a mini motherboard (or m-ATX) which gives you more bang for buck, but more weight to carry...
    • A case maybe a bit smaller than this but with this handle.
    • With a motherboard like this...
    • An intel i5 2500k can fit in there and that is an amazing CPU.
    • and is capable of fitting a GTX580 in..... or a GTX 560Ti Which beats every lone GPU card on the market at this stage in SLI.

All for €717 at dabs.ie. Check my attachments for full spec. Theres plenty of room for expansion in memory and for graphics in time to come. Believe me that spec will kick any gaming laptops back-side. Unless your willing to fork out €2500 for an Alienware lappy.

If your confused by components and are just a gamer who wants to game and hasn't a clue what kinda performance you'll get... :D.... Look up reviews for the components i've chosen specifically like "560ti review" on a site like Guru3D. Flick through the pages of the games the graphics card was tested on.... and it will give you an idea of what to expect. Same goes for "i5 2500k review".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    hmmmm..... Graphic cards are iffy to find and fit for laptops, especially pre-built ones made by Dell, Acer or HP etc. Your gonna have a hard time finding one that fits your laptop plus can keep cool in there. My friend has a laptop with graphics card in it that reaches temperatures of over 90*c and it melted the motherboard it was built onto.... :(

Silicon's melting point is 1414 °C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

That must have been some laptop before it disintegrated! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Limericks wrote: »
    Kevinf63 wrote: »
    hmmmm..... Graphic cards are iffy to find and fit for laptops, especially pre-built ones made by Dell, Acer or HP etc. Your gonna have a hard time finding one that fits your laptop plus can keep cool in there. My friend has a laptop with graphics card in it that reaches temperatures of over 90*c and it melted the motherboard it was built onto.... :(

Silicon's melting point is 1414 °C :)

Your right, Sorry, I meant to say melted onto the motherboard and not that it melted the mobo. Got that mixed up just like everything posted so far... :S

• Advertisement
Advertisement