Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double buggy recommendations

Options
  • 01-09-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Didn't think we'd have to be trawling round shops looking at buggies again for a while but alas Mrs Irishmanmick is 22 weeks now so we're back out again looking at double buggies this time. Our first child was born Jan this year and no.2 will be along (please god) Jan next year so obviously we defo need a decent double buggy.

We've looked at a few, all different types, tandems, side by sides and P&T style but were not sure which one will suit us best.

Would love to hear from parents who are using double buggies, particurly those who have tried a few different types! Heard they all have pros and cons but some real life reviews of them would be great

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What about something like this:

http://www.thepremierbabystore.co.uk/ekmps/shops/premierbaby/images/hauck-duett-tandem-pushchair-91-p.jpg

Hauck Duett

or if you have the money:

an I candy pear tandem.

http://www.icandyuk.com/products_detail.php?id=pear_stroller

Best thing to do is ask people you find using a buggy you like. Usually people are very happy to comment on them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We find the out n about nipper double brilliant and there is a new model out that is even better!
    The Britax B dual is worth a look too.

I don't like the phil and teds type buggies at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Nipper great, but not suitable for toddlers as they cant sit up (used it for 1st year of twins). Also a little too wide for some doors.

For walks into town etc I use the MamasandPapas Duette City Scape. It is frikkin' awesome. Big but flexible. Expensive as hell (800 sterling) but we got one in perfect nick on ebay for 250.

And we never go anywhere in the car without the umbrella buggy... cheapest model in mothercare (27) but handy for getting them from car to park, beach, whatever when only one parent around. Takes up no space at all.

And we have two quinny zapps (both ebay jobs) for when we travel or might need to split up when out.

Five goddamn buggies, but all had/have their place. Nipper will be sold soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They can't sit up?

I am lost!

I use mine for my baby and toddler with no issues.

The baby jogger double is supposed to be great and looks nice but the non pneumatic wheels put me off as I like to bring the buggy to the beach and on long walks.

There are a few different ones here - http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay10A_45_10751_14603_-1__14051_14051_10001_14051

• Registered Users Posts: 28 emmeim

I have the Baby Jogger City Select and love it. Am only using it as a single at the moment, baby due in 6 weeks, can't wait to use it as a double. Takes the car seat which is a major plus for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Our one is the Jane Powertwin Double - the younger baby is not down near the floor like some of the other buggies - it is long but we find it good (there is less than 14 months between ours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

This is what we use and its like the Phil & Ted but 1/3 of the price.

http://www.lovencare.ie/strollers-and-prams/europa-stroller/

We have a 2 yr old and a 4 month old and it really works for us. Sturdy, easy to fold, everything comes as standard and the price is amazing for what you get.

We bought ours in Ken Black's/Smyth's but i believe everywhere is sold out as they flew out of the shop at that price for a double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Our one is the Jane Powertwin Double - the younger baby is not down near the floor like some of the other buggies - it is long but we find it good (there is less than 14 months between ours).
    Cathy I'm looking at getting one of these second hand - can I ask you a couple of question? Have you had any problems with your boy kicking the lock on the front wheel? Is a carseat/carrycot necessary for a newborn or does the rear seat recline enough for her to lie flat? How is it going over curbs and bumpy roads?

We have a Graco which is grand and sturdy on paved surfaces but since we moved house we go out walking nearly every day down a potholey country lane and need something with pumped rather than solid tyres - the powertwin looks the biz.

Double buggy users, are any of the buggys mentioned above in danger of toppling over if there's only one child in them.

It mentions this on the Jane power twin video on Youtube. Its conceivable the older one will want to get out and walk at sometime.

The out n about nipper is not very stable going up and down steps with one very heavy child but fine with the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

We have a Graco Stadium Duo (best price was in Smyths, Airside) when no. 3 arrived last year (3 year gap). The (now) 4 year old still fits fine in the front section, and the baby is sitting up in the rear section now (it folds flat as well for the early months).

Pros:
    It's very sturdy, and you can get a lot of shopping in the tray underneath the seating area.

Cons:
    It's quite heavy, and with the 4-year old in the front, it's a bugger to turn (due to his being so far away from the back wheels).
    It doesn't fold well and won't go into our car (unless I fold the seats down) nor into a bus.

We're still happy enough with it, it gets most of its use twice a day (to/from school with a trip to the local supermaket thrown in) and will do for another year or so.

When the missus goes into town with the baby, she just puts her in the Zapp we have.

OP, your gap is smaller so you might be better off going for something more portable / foldable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

No help at all but I think the P&T are awful , I always feel sorry for the poor kid stuck at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

If you're willing to spend, get a Bugaboo Donkey. No risk of baby toppling over when folded and used as a mono. There's a waiting list but if you order now I'm sure you'll get it within a month or two. There are only 2 shops in Ireland that sells them.

We got one even before I knew I was expecting our 2nd, which will be next Spring. Best investment ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend, get a Bugaboo Donkey. No risk of baby toppling over when folded and used as a mono. There's a waiting list but if you order now I'm sure you'll get it within a month or two. There are only 2 shops in Ireland that sells them.

We got one even before I knew I was expecting our 2nd, which will be next Spring. Best investment ever.

Mrs Fox can I ask you a quick question? Are you using it on rough terrain. I had decided on the Donkey have the Cameleon and love it. But my friend also has one, haven't met her in person but she has had two punctures already on hers, and she wouldn't be on very rough ground.

I'm due second baby the end of the year, and my first will just be months old.

Mrs Fox can I ask you a quick question? Are you using it on rough terrain. I had decided on the Donkey have the Cameleon and love it. But my friend also has one, haven't met her in person but she has had two punctures already on hers, and she wouldn't be on very rough ground.

I'm due second baby the end of the year, and my first will just be months old.

I was quite careful in the beginning avoiding rough terrain but later I gave it a go and have been on gravels since and haven't had any punctures so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Can you opt for the foam wheels on the Donkey like you can on the Cameleon?

January wrote: »
    Can you opt for the foam wheels on the Donkey like you can on the Cameleon?

I'm not sure if you can; We certainly weren't given the option when we got ours. But because the Donkey is designed to carry more load, the air-filled tires work best.

Here's from the FAQs section of Bugaboo's site:

Why does the Bugaboo Donkey have air filled tires, unlike the Bugaboo Bee and Bugaboo Cameleon which have foam filled tires?
    All Bugaboo pushchairs are designed to provide the most comfortable ride. Because the Bugaboo Donkey aims to carry multiple kids and goods, air filled tires are the best option, since they can deal better with the wide load demands of this product. Depending on the weight of the load, the pressure of the air filled tires can be adjusted, so the smoothest ride for each Bugaboo Donkey configuration can be achieved. Finally, the Bugaboo Donkey tires also include an anti-puncture layer, to minimize the chances of getting a flat tire.
    The optimal tire pressure depends on the weight of the pushchair load - kids and goods and on the driving surface. Bugaboo recommends: 0 to 10 kg - 1 bar, 10 - 30 kg - 1.5 bars, 30 to 50 kg - 2 bars, when driving on hard and flat surfaces. When driving on soft surfaces, like sand, you can slightly increase the tire pressure and on bumpy, brick or stone surfaces, decrease it, for the most comfortable ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

we were looking at one particular twin buggy, you could say we had our hearts set on it till we paid a visit to bella baby in dundrum.
    here's what we were going for at the start .
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-1-TWIN-DOUBLE-Mikado-Duet-PRAM-BUGGY-FREE-ADDS-/170592466574
    but when speaking to one of the girls in the shop she mentioned something about the width of a buggy and it being of real importance. something that never dawned on us. as you'll see from above the mikado is 77am wide :eek:
    so any way we asked for some recommendations and she suggested this.
    http://www.babyjogger.co.uk/cityselect.html.
    it was about 62 cm wide.
    heres where i'd like opinions if possible.
    for € 1549 we were getting
    carrycots x 2
    stroller seats x 2
    adapters x 2
    raincover x 2
    maxi cosi car seats x 2
    easyfix bases x 2
    the other half is expecting tiwns so it'll have to be a twin buggy/pram/stroller ( all of which are the same to me)
    just wondering if this is value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We have a phil and teds double...

Easy to get through doors
    Easy to fold
    Light weight
    Can be used for one baby or attach the back for 2nd

Have it 4 years now with no problems...it has taken some serious abuse with 3 kids hanging out of it and at least 4 runs in the aeroplane (thrown about - thanks ryanair/aerlingus).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Supermummy

dont get phil n teds, i have one and my 1year old who sits in behind seat is forever putting her hand out on wheels to touch them when we are out n about. i would love to sell this one now..

• Advertisement

it was about 62 cm wide.
    carrycots x 2
    stroller seats x 2
    adapters x 2
    raincover x 2
    maxi cosi car seats x 2
    easyfix bases x 2
    the other half is expecting tiwns so it'll have to be a twin buggy/pram/stroller ( all of which are the same to me)

This looks like a good deal considering it includes 2 car seats and bases too.

Yeah, that does look brilliant, I really like this:

selecttheme.jpg

Its the most compact base I've seen that can still do 2 kids looking at each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

3DataModem wrote: »
    Nipper great, but not suitable for toddlers as they cant sit up (used it for 1st year of twins). Also a little too wide for some doors....

We fit all ages in ours, even up to a 7yr old. We think it brilliant. We had the Graco but it was too heavy once the kids got bigger. Great for the price when younger. Tried the P&T but didn't like it.

You can pick up twins easier than singles 2nd hand. As most people don't use them for long. We found having a few different buggies handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

it was about 62 cm wide.
    carrycots x 2
    stroller seats x 2
    adapters x 2
    raincover x 2
    maxi cosi car seats x 2
    easyfix bases x 2
    rang a place up the north to get a price on everything above and i have to say the savings/ price differnces weren't great. we got a quote of around £1220 or about €1440.
    so taking into account travelling up and down and if anything were to go wrong with it etc. it looks like we'll be buying it from bellababy down here.

I saw and pushed the bugaboo donkey today and don't get the hype at all...
    I was kind of excited about it as it is supposed to be great but it was wide and akward and I did not find it very easy to manouvre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I saw and pushed the bugaboo donkey today and don't get the hype at all...
    I was kind of excited about it as it is supposed to be great but it was wide and akward and I did not find it very easy to manouvre.

I've seen the Donkey out and about and don't like the look of it at all... either as a single or a double...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Advice appreciated ... any double buggies that will fit in the boot of a VW golf ... not a tiny car boot but certainly not a big boot either. Tried the out n about/360/nipper one the other day in the shop. We loved it but you have to take a wheel off to fit it in the boot and even then it only just about goes in and leaves no other room for shopping/ bags/all the various kit you need when out and about with babies/toddlers. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

I have the 'out and about nipper 360' single buggy.

I had my third child recently and from when he was tiny I put him in a folding umbrella type buggy when we went on car trips - easy to store permanently in the car boot. I live in the city and I have the 'out and about nipper 360' for going on public transport/walking.

It is brilliant. It almost drives itself. I would say that the double would be very easy to manoevre. It is very durable and the footmuff (€60) was great. The rain cover got a bit torn and the replacement was €15 My first buggy was a Britax which did a lot of mileage but became very creaky and impossible to drive. I love the nipper 360!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Just wondering is it worth it buying two carrycots for twins, we are thinking of buying the babyjogger city select Double. We are thinking at night time and during the day that they can sleep /nap in the same cot/travel cot. but if we are bringing them out they would be separated into separate carrycots. Is it worth buying them, did others find them useful or use them a lot? I am in two minds whether to get them....

• Advertisement

What about something like this:

http://www.thepremierbabystore.co.uk...chair-91-p.jpg

Hauck Duett

or if you have the money:

Previous was looking at this, but at €400 it was way past the budget.

I borrowed a Phil and Teds for 2 days while my friend was on holidays and I hated it. I was using a Urban Detour 3 wheel and presumed the Phil and Ted would be the same without the extra seat but it was way heavier and less easy to swivel. I thought it was a nightmare to fold. I was squating with it while holding the handle and still it would flip forward and hit my car. I spent a night on youtube trying to master it!

Really when you look at the carrycot in the bottom seat and the extra seat on the top, it just looks soooo cruel!
    Cathy I'm looking at getting one of these second hand - can I ask you a couple of question? Have you had any problems with your boy kicking the lock on the front wheel? Is a carseat/carrycot necessary for a newborn or does the rear seat recline enough for her to lie flat? How is it going over curbs and bumpy roads?

We have a Graco which is grand and sturdy on paved surfaces but since we moved house we go out walking nearly every day down a potholey country lane and need something with pumped rather than solid tyres - the powertwin looks the biz.

I think I may have bought the one you were looking at. I am delighted with it. I have been using it for the last few days with my 2 yr old neice in it with my 1 year old. Its the ball bearings in the wheels that seem to make it so easy to push, even up hill.

I can see the downfalls with it like the lock under the wheel (cant see how a child could kick this though, you have to twist it 90 degrees) which when not engaged makes the buggy a lump of jelly. Also found the Jane pump crap but the Urban Detour one is perfect.

Side by side the Jane is 5 inches longer than the Detour! It looks much longer full of kids.

So for the first few months, I'll have her in the back looking out and the baby in the carseat in the front and then swap. If I'm going out for more than an hour I'd put baby down flat and 1yr old in the front.

@CM, I have the soft carry cot thing from the Graco

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310342612976&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1138wt_908

and that fits the back seat perfect. It is 99% flat and with this footmuff, it like being in a crib.

Advertisement