Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two UPC accounts in one house.

• 01-09-2011 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if UPC would do this?
    The buddy is living in a house shared with someone else who has UPC broadband but is unwilling to let anyone else use it.
    I'm just wondering if they would install another modem on a different account in the same house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, they won't put two accounts in the same house. It's been asked before, and this was what UPC said. There's no real reason why they shouldn't do it, so it must be by choice.

If he can get it installed anywhere else, then he could just move the modem to the house he's in. Problems with that would be getting a connection point in the current house. If there's already a modem installed, there may not be anything to connect it to.

Better solution would be to move out. The other guy doesn't sound like someone I'd like to be sharing a house with.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Just call up and say you've just moved in :> If you say the previous tenant moved out billing won't know either way, they'll just give the guy a call and ask him to update his address when he can, and the engineers won't care. Just don't explicitly ask billing for a 2nd account and you'll be grand.

I've got 2 modems installed here. You can pick up a splitter fairly handy if you need one, I got one in Maplins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I'm not 100% but if i recall you just say your same address with b at the end, So if you are number 160 just put 160b, Then they can give it as a secondary address, even though its the same house.

I know that sounds dodgy, But the part I'm not sure about is that it was a UPC representative that told me that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

I got it done, took advice from someone on here and added a "B" to the same address....took a while and needed answering some questions back and forth, they actually sent a tech out beforehand to check if it was an extension to the house....I explained the story and he said no problem....the 2 bills are now addressed A and B same house number...........give it a go can only work or not work depending on who you get but I'd advise doing the order online rather than phone that worked for me

edit to say, I note you're looking for a 2nd BB connection that could be a sticking point...in my case there was tv but no BB which is what I added, and already had a separate point ready to go......but you should give it a try anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

we have bb and phone for business reasons in our office at home.
    we got phone tv and bb installed for home use, and they had no problem doing this for us.

its all about finding a decent agent on the phone who will help arrange it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

we have bb and phone for business reasons in our office at home.
    we got phone tv and bb installed for home use, and they had no problem doing this for us.

its all about finding a decent agent on the phone who will help arrange it.

then you could bridge the 2 x 100meg lines mmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think you'd still only get 100Mbps though, since it's contended locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jor el wrote: »
    I think you'd still only get 100Mbps though, since it's contended locally.

The modems are only using a few channels so they can support more. I don't think contention is a huge issue either because of the speeds available, there is an advantage in that torrents and large downloads finish quicker leaving more intervening capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Has anyone tried this lately - ordering and saying House Number B? I think I might give it a try.

I'm renting a room in a house at the moment. We have UPC TV and the account is in the landlord's name. Myself and my housemates want to get broadband but the landlord won't add to the existing account and he won't allow the the TV package to switch to my name. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to get broadband in my name and sign the contract.

I actually phoned UPC a couple of weeks ago and asked about having a second account at a single address. The guy on the phone said it was possible but I couldn't order there and then because I had to confirm with my housemates. I then checked the website after confirming with my housemates and that said it wasn't possible to have 2 accounts at a single address. So I emailed to get clarification - the reply I got said it wasn't possible.

I'm going to give it a try anyhow. I don't see why it can't be done and I don't understand why UPC would want to turn down over €40 per month.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

KevR wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this lately - ordering and saying House Number B? I think I might give it a try.

I'm renting a room in a house at the moment. We have UPC TV and the account is in the landlord's name. Myself and my housemates want to get broadband but the landlord won't add to the existing account and he won't allow the the TV package to switch to my name. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to get broadband in my name and sign the contract.

I actually phoned UPC a couple of weeks ago and asked about having a second account at a single address. The guy on the phone said it was possible but I couldn't order there and then because I had to confirm with my housemates. I then checked the website after confirming with my housemates and that said it wasn't possible to have 2 accounts at a single address. So I emailed to get clarification - the reply I got said it wasn't possible.

I'm going to give it a try anyhow. I don't see why it can't be done and I don't understand why UPC would want to turn down over €40 per month.

Don't tell them it's the same address. Say it's #4B or w/e. Say they're separate apartments. The engineer won't give a ****. You'll be grand. No problemo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

We have UPC in the house at home, and i have a 120Mb connection in and the sister has a 60Mb connection herself. It happened years ago, and no one has said anything... i think when we got it installed first, i had a 700kb/s and she was on 150kb/s... those where the days man! anyway, no contention issues, no problems... both are on the same bill though... Mind you, We are in Tallaght, and in one of the first areas to get upgraded, so chances are they over engineered the place... been told the signal quality is off the charts in the area...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Edit already posted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I ordered this morning for <House Number>B.

I got a call from their customer care after lunch asking me to confirm my address because they didn't have <House Number>B on their system, they only had <House Number>. I said the house was split up into apartments... The customer care rep said she would add <House Number>B to their system (which would take a couple of days) and then my order would be processed.

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly from here!

Advertisement