Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bjj prices,

• 01-09-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    I done bjj for about a year 3 years back and loved it but had to stop because it was on the same night as footy ,but now iv decided its time to hang up the boots and get back on the mats,
    So what im wondering is what are prices like for Bjj, do people pay weekly or monthly and how much are you looking at,
    Oh i live and work on the northside so ill be looking to join a club in the area,
    Also should i go beginners class although im not quite a beginner but id be extremly rusty.
    Cheers :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Most clubs are about 10 euro a class, thats what we charge pay as you go or you can pay 65 a month, i think most clubs are there or there abouts..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

most clubs are very expensive for the casual trainee.
    If you are only training 5 or 6 times a month and it is costing you €50-€60 a month thats too expensive for most people and I think it prevents a lot of people training that only have the time to train casually.

one club is €15 a pop!
    the casual trainee it Dublin is being shafted by these hefty pay per class charges. down the country the average is around a fiver at most.

having said that it's good value for those who train regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

nino1 wrote: »
    If you are only training 5 or 6 times a month and it is costing you €50-€60 a month thats too expensive for most people and I think it prevents a lot of people training that only have the time to train casually.

one club is €15 a pop!
    the casual trainee it Dublin is being shafted by these hefty pay per class charges. down the country the average is around a fiver at most.

10 euro is 2 pints of beer-hardly expensive for 1.5-2 hours of training in a gym that costs lots to run and instructors who've put lots of time into learning there trade. If paying monthly you would be training more than 5-6 times a month anyway.

Most Bjj clubs are not making a killing in fairness and most do it for the passion mainly.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

cowzerp wrote: »
    10 euro is 2 pints of beer-hardly expensive for 1.5-2 hours of training in a gym that costs lots to run and instructors who've put lots of time into learning there trade. If paying monthly you would be training more than 5-6 times a month anyway.

Exactly. Galway is probably what Dubs call 'down the country' and we charge €10 for a single class. As Paul said, that's 2 pints of beer. Most BJJ/MMA clubs IMO offer great value for money for the people for the people who train reguarly, and that's the way it should be. These are the people who keep clubs alive. The people who only rock up every now and again should be paying a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hey folks
    I done bjj for about a year 3 years back and loved it but had to stop because it was on the same night as footy ,but now iv decided its time to hang up the boots and get back on the mats,
    So what im wondering is what are prices like for Bjj, do people pay weekly or monthly and how much are you looking at,
    Oh i live and work on the northside so ill be looking to join a club in the area,
    Also should i go beginners class although im not quite a beginner but id be extremly rusty.
    Cheers :cool:

Hi Op,

You'll be spoiled for choice on the Northside. Most people i know pay monthly because it represents the best value for money. €65 a month seems standard for monthly unlimited classes in all of the gyms.

one club is €15 a pop!

Hi Nino,

Along with a drop in fee, alot of clubs offer five class and ten class packages. However, as above, paying monthly often represents the best value for money. €65 a month is actually only €16.25 per week. That's about the same price as a cinema ticket (if you include popcorn :P) All clubs offer several classes per day and it's very easy to get your moneys worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

I don't think €65 a month is too much at all. Not some someone who trains regularly anyways.
    And I realise that rents etc are more expensive in Dublin that the rest if the country but the Muay Thai clubs pay the same rents etc and are a much more reasonable €7 a class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

kdowling wrote: »
    I don't think €65 a month is too much at all. Not some someone who trains regularly anyways.
    And I realise that rents etc are more expensive in Dublin that the rest if the country but the Muay Thai clubs pay the same rents etc and are a much more reasonable €7 a class.

Would hazard a guess that striking clubs would get more people in that Jits ones would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

one club is €15 a pop!

First of all, I think we have to ask ourselves what we expect from a club. If you're happy enough with a twice per week class, mats in a hall laid out by the practitioners every evening, chances of the hall cancelling on you for meetings, bingo nights, etc. etc. etc. then that's fine. I think you should expect to pay €5 per class and know every time you show up and your part-time club isn't on, that this is the way of things.

However if you expect a full time facility, full time coaches guaranteed to be there (ie. not suddenly called in on overtime and so on), custom facilities, open mats, flexible hours to train on etc. etc. then you must accept that there's a premium for this too.

Even think about the casual guy who wants to roll maybe 3 times a month. Okay he's getting a raw deal in a place that's €60 per month- I mean he's paying half the premium and getting only an 8th of the classes- but he can walk in probably 6 days a week and get some training. He doesn't have to wait for a Tuesday or Friday for one hour. Have you stopped to maybe think there's a premium for that too?

As everyone else has said, paying €65 (that's what I charge) for the chance to train 6 days per week isn't expensive even if you only go twice per week. But as far as I can glean, you're saying you should only pay €5 to train if you stop by for a session occasionally. Let's put that another way. You would like to be allowed to pay the same as (or indeed less than) the regular members who contribute to the club every month, guaranteed, who have helped pay for rent, facilities, equipment, wages, light and heat, insurance and who have contributed to the club in less tangible ways such as socially, competitively, and by passing on their knowledge and so on. Do you really think it would be fair just to stick your head in the door from time to time and not have to pay an additional premium for it?

OP we're Northside, in Glasnevin, our rates are €65 per month or €60 per month for students or the unemployed. We charge a €10 drop in rate per class for those who'd prefer to train casually and my favourite colour is blue.

Regards,
    Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

kdowling wrote: »

And yoga is €25 per class. It's not relative.

Simply put, gym owners want to sell monthly memberships and that's one of the primary considerations when pricing single classes. This is the same for all gyms including yoga, bjj, MT, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I've got to add, that if you're offering a professional service, there's no shame in charging whatever price the market will support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

I pay more than $200 a month to train BJJ and its the best purchase I make every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Are there any Bjj classes in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dardis wrote: »
    I pay more than $200 a month to train BJJ and its the best purchase I make every month.

:eek:

Are ya mad, thats a good night on the piss in Templebar!.... Oh wait...
    10 euro is 2 pints of beer-hardly expensive for 1.5-2 hours of training in a gym that costs lots to run and instructors who've put lots of time into learning there trade.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

First of all, I think we have to ask ourselves what we expect from a club. If you're happy enough with a twice per week class, mats in a hall laid out by the practitioners every evening, chances of the hall cancelling on you for meetings, bingo nights, etc. etc. etc. then that's fine. I think you should expect to pay €5 per class and know every time you show up and your part-time club isn't on, that this is the way of things.

However if you expect a full time facility, full time coaches guaranteed to be there (ie. not suddenly called in on overtime and so on), custom facilities, open mats, flexible hours to train on etc. etc. then you must accept that there's a premium for this too.

Even think about the casual guy who wants to roll maybe 3 times a month. Okay he's getting a raw deal in a place that's €60 per month- I mean he's paying half the premium and getting only an 8th of the classes- but he can walk in probably 6 days a week and get some training. He doesn't have to wait for a Tuesday or Friday for one hour. Have you stopped to maybe think there's a premium for that too?

As everyone else has said, paying €65 (that's what I charge) for the chance to train 6 days per week isn't expensive even if you only go twice per week. But as far as I can glean, you're saying you should only pay €5 to train if you stop by for a session occasionally. Let's put that another way. You would like to be allowed to pay the same as (or indeed less than) the regular members who contribute to the club every month, guaranteed, who have helped pay for rent, facilities, equipment, wages, light and heat, insurance and who have contributed to the club in less tangible ways such as socially, competitively, and by passing on their knowledge and so on. Do you really think it would be fair just to stick your head in the door from time to time and not have to pay an additional premium for it?

OP we're Northside, in Glasnevin, our rates are €65 per month or €60 per month for students or the unemployed. We charge a €10 drop in rate per class for those who'd prefer to train casually and my favourite colour is blue.

Regards,
    Barry

I think the price is great and the fact that your not tied not to a couple of evening classes a week makes it easier for people to fit the classes around their life rather than the other way round which friom my experience can only last so long. €10 drop in rate per class is also reasonable.

However I do feel that there should be a greater reduction than €5 a month for students and the unemployed. €60 is alot for a student or someone unemployed to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I think the price is great and the fact that your not tied not to a couple of evening classes a week makes it easier for people to fit the classes around their life rather than the other way round which friom my experience can only last so long. €10 drop in rate per class is also reasonable.

However I do feel that there should be a greater reduction than €5 a month for students and the unemployed. €60 is alot for a student or someone unemployed to pay.

In all fairness, students and the unemployed are in a position to be able attend more of the classes than those who are working, so they are more than likely going to get more for their money that way.

Without sounding too heartless most of the guys are that are running clubs are not making a lot from it and can't afford to be subsidising people.

However an idea to reduce your fees might be to offer to help out around the club, clean the mats a few times each week etc. You have to showsome initiative :)

It's been my experience that no matter what discount you give to students, it's never enough. I've had people tell me with a straight face that the €5 we charge for our university judo club for an entire year's classes is too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

It's been my experience that no matter what discount you give to students, it's never enough. I've had people tell me with a straight face that the €5 we charge for our university judo club for an entire year's classes is too expensive.

There are people you can never please tbh. Martial Arts are one of thoes things where students have a exotic imagination where a teacher lives like a hermit up in a mountain some where and grows his own food etc..and doesnt need payment for his time.

Students never realise what a teacher arranges for their students to be able to train, like arrange a clean air condition room, changing rooms, showers, parking facilities, insurance, marketing, administration, and then will will turn up on time night after night, even when the student cant be bother. Only to find the student complain that a price of packets of fag is to much to pay for a quality martial arts class, where the teacher will actually give up his personal time to help the student.

If I offer free classes I could get very good at it, so good I would have to hire extra teachers to teach the free classes, but how many instructors can pay out of their pocket to teach students?

I actually got a huge lecture from a right-wing friend of mine for discounting students and the unemployed at all! But I know it's tough when there's no work and you want to keep training, and in truth most of the students I have are 16/17/18 and in secondary school not in college. College students tend not to train too much for some reason... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Are all martial arts classes so expensive? €200 a month seems an awful lot. I recently joined a running club it was €80 for the year, but I guess it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

G-Money wrote: »
    Are all martial arts classes so expensive? €200 a month seems an awful lot. I recently joined a running club it was €80 for the year, but I guess it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

No. And the $200 is in New York with Marcello Garcia in fairness (I'm sure there can't be 2 dardises, dardii, dardisseses. Whatever)

Remember running clubs tend to be amateur in nature. Your €80 probably covers insurance, club fees, some equipment costs etc. etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

No. And the $200 is in New York with Marcello Garcia in fairness (I'm sure there can't be 2 dardises, dardii, .

Yes only one of us Dardisesises in Marcelo's.
    But $200 really is cheap for what I get, today I was in the mats with seven competitors from this years ADCC, four of them were black belt world champions.

What other sport can a joker from Meath train with literally the best in the world on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

dardis wrote: »

What other sport can a joker from Meath train with literally the best in the world on a daily basis.

Olympic Farming.

In all seriousness though, I've no problem paying 60+ quid a month to train. I did it when I was unemployed (and attending college 4 nights a week) and it was one of the things that kept my mind occupied and kept me busy other than college work. Too bad I was still not very good at it - but there you are. That's more a reflection on myself than the instructors :p

At the end of the day, you're paying for what you get in the class. As has been said I've seen people give out about paying 8 quid a class and have never even taken the class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Working it out at the moment I pay 68.80 per month for classes. I train 12 times a month. So 5.70 per class isn't bad but it just makes me envy those living in Dublin a little who in theory could be paying 60 in Dublin on a student monthly deal and have 12 classes in 7 days.

There just isn't the demand for that type of schedule out of highly populated areas eg Dublin or Cork or Galway but I may be open to correction on that.

Also worth pointing out I follow my coach to two different gyms as opposed to one gym offering 3 classes a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

65-80 euro a month is standard. Most places put on 6-12 classes of BJJ per week so you can get real bang for your buck. We do live in tough economic times, there should be an option of paying it bit by bit per month. Many people only live week to week now.

Although some newcomers could rip off the instructor. Perhaps if they allowed people who've shown commitment and been there a minimum of 6-9 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

65-80 euro a month is standard. Most places put on 6-12 classes of BJJ per week so you can get real bang for your buck. We do live in tough economic times, there should be an option of paying it bit by bit per month. Many people only live week to week now.

Although some newcomers could rip off the instructor. Perhaps if they allowed people who've shown commitment and been there a minimum of 6-9 months.

ye 20euro per week would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

In Coolock on the Northside: www.defendu.ie €75 a month for membership but you can attend Aikido, MMA and BJJ, kettlebells, strength and conditioning as well. Also they do yoga there, fiver a class for members.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

http://www.defendu.ie/membership Clonshaugh industrial estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

In the club I go to if you attend two or more classes per week you save money by paying the monthly subscription.

Monthly is the way to go :)

I think that if you're paying a tenner for a 60-90 minute class with a 30 minute warm up that it's a bit crap. But some instructors can get a lot done in 60 minutes, some are better with more time so it's impossible to put one template on a session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Are there any classes in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

By the way, what does that 5 euro go towards? I've seen that as the fee for some of the martial arts clubs in UL and I've been wondering what it actually covers - it's hardly a wage :p Insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No. And the $200 is in New York with Marcello Garcia in fairness (I'm sure there can't be 2 dardises, dardii, dardisseses. Whatever)

Remember running clubs tend to be amateur in nature. Your €80 probably covers insurance, club fees, some equipment costs etc. etc. etc.

Don't forget that $200 is actually about a 140 euro, too.

Gumbi wrote: »
    By the way, what does that 5 euro go towards? I've seen that as the fee for some of the martial arts clubs in UL and I've been wondering what it actually covers - it's hardly a wage :p Insurance?
    Hmmm, I could get in trouble for giving out the details of our budget, but one of the main reasons is we have to charge over a certain amount per person to prevent us pretending we have 1000 members.

Are there any classes in Limerick?
    Yes you're local to one of Ireland's best! Fergal Quinlan. Google Combat Sports Centre and you'll find him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hmmm, I could get in trouble for giving out the details of our budget, but one of the main reasons is we have to charge over a certain amount per person to prevent us pretending we have 1000 members.
    Its something similar with all the clubs and societies in DIT.

Advertisement