Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Parmesan?

Options
  • 01-09-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

My husband just got back from our local village shop (Spar) where they tried to charge him €7.29 for a 100g pack of grated Parmesan cheese. He didn't buy it, and I've just looked up prices online - I could order 500g of proper, aged organic Parmesan from Italy and, even including shipping, it comes to under €20. Do you think the shop made a pricing error, or are other people paying ridiculous prices for this cheese?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Darkginger wrote: »
    My husband just got back from our local village shop (Spar) where they tried to charge him €7.29 for a 100g pack of grated Parmesan cheese. He didn't buy it, and I've just looked up prices online - I could order 500g of proper, aged organic Parmesan from Italy and, even including shipping, it comes to under €20. Do you think the shop made a pricing error, or are other people paying ridiculous prices for this cheese?

Parmesan always seens to be expensive, I don't know why. But my mum suggested I buy the chuck and grate it myself, its much cheaper that way, the chunk (around €3.50 I think) lasts ages aswell

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You've got to have you wits about you in a local shop. I started using our one again as they had come really good offers but when I ran out of coffee the other night, the cheapest they had was 5.49 for a 100g jar. Aldi is only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

when I saw the shop you went to was Spar I wasn't surprised. My local EuroSpar is such a rip off and you have to be on your toes to catch the special offers that are not properly registered at the til, happens way too regularly to be a simple mistake...cowboys as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Thanks for all the advice - am coming around to the idea of ordering a chunk from Italy. As an update - after we complained to the local Spar about the €7+ price, we went back today and it's still on the shelves at that amount. Meanwhile, in Westport Centra and Supervalu (a whole 10 miles away), it's about €2.20 for the same thing.

It's just so easy to pop into the local shop and stick things in the basket without taking note of the price. I'm going to go poke our local shopkeeper and see what he has to say about this silly price!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Parmesan doesn't do well pre-grated to be honest- it's designed to be pealed into slivers or grated fresh for immediate use - also, it's much cheaper to purchase whole as opposed to grated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Moving off thread, but Parmasean is so much better fresh, the pre-grated stuff really has no comparison, the add all kinds of stuff to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

Absolutely detest buying stuff in our local Spar shop... it seems everything except their own brand items is massively over priced.

Milk for example is something like €1.45 a litre v €0.97 in the supermarket......
    Bread, the same.
    I realise (or at least - I think) they don't have the same pull as the supermarkets with producers. Or do they - are they not all part of the one group?!!

Another fave of mine is popcorn - local Spar charges 79 cent whereas a shop on Grafton Street charges 65 cent. I'd expect this to be reversed.

I know its small money (48 cent and 14 cent in the examples but the percentage difference is fairly big).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

spar and the likes are always more expensive, the premium is for the convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Fieldies Dreams

The one i get in tescos is €4.50 for 100g....spar is a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

There's your problem right there

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

The one i get in tescos is €4.50 for 100g....spar is a rip off.

We got ours in Lidl & Aldi - around €3 per 100gr. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

spar and the likes are always more expensive, the premium is for the convenience

That's a CONvenience store for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've always bought the proper Regianno parmesan by the block from Lidl, costs under €5 and it lasts ages if properly wrapped in the fridge. The grated stuff is not parmesan at all and is to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Thanks for all the advice - am coming around to the idea of ordering a chunk from Italy. As an update - after we complained to the local Spar about the €7+ price, we went back today and it's still on the shelves at that amount. Meanwhile, in Westport Centra and Supervalu (a whole 10 miles away), it's about €2.20 for the same thing.

It's just so easy to pop into the local shop and stick things in the basket without taking note of the price. I'm going to go poke our local shopkeeper and see what he has to say about this silly price!

Haha weird statement, did you expect him to remove it or change the price merely because one customers mentioned it? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Best Parmesan, in a piece, grate it yourself, now only €2 per 100g in LIDL! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭foodie66

Parmesan can be frightfully expensive in some shops

Advertisement