Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance

• 01-09-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, could anyone be able to help me? Our house just had a break-in and the robbers took some valuable stuff from us. We are renting a house and when I called the landlord to ask if we could be able to make a claim since he said he had contents insurance on the house, he said that he wouldn't be able to make a claim for us since it's illegal or something to give us the money ?? :confused: Unfortunately we don't have insurance ourselves but I was wondering is it true I can't make a claim even though there is insurance on the house and we live in the house, to compensate for what we've lost?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

You can only claim against your own insurance. The landlord cannot get insurance for your contents, only his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

xxpopopxx wrote: »
    Hi, could anyone be able to help me? Our house just had a break-in and the robbers took some valuable stuff from us. We are renting a house and when I called the landlord to ask if we could be able to make a claim since he said he had contents insurance on the house, he said that he wouldn't be able to make a claim for us since it's illegal or something to give us the money ?? :confused: Unfortunately we don't have insurance ourselves but I was wondering is it true I can't make a claim even though there is insurance on the house and we live in the house, to compensate for what we've lost?? :(

The insurance your landlord has is to cover the building and his own contents that are his. ie. Everything in the house that isnt yours. You should have had your own insurance in fairness.

House insurance is not that much a month, you would do well to look into it incase it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Yeah thanks for clearing it up, yeah we should've really had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Yeah thanks for clearing it up, yeah we should've really had.

BTW, its really crappy you got robbed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

I know it's so frustrating and it makes me all paranoid now :( worst part is we've probably been watched for months with random people only knocking on our door and then just drive off..... ugh absolute scumbags is all I can say:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 happyholly

can anyone help me out i lost my wedding ring recently and reported to my home insurrance company, went through all the steps involved etc. turns out my ring has increased in value (platinum gone through the roof) prob is now that the insurrance company wont make up the difference. ie the ring cost me 2000 cost to replace is 3000. they say when i got cover in apr this year the ring was valued at 2000, now that its gone up they wont pay up. anybody help me thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Your ring is underinsured. They charge you a rate per hundred euro of a value. They are not going to pay you anymore than what you insured it for. So unfortuntately you will just have to suck it up and make up the differene yourself. No way round it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, for rental investment properties, the landlord is only allowed to insure their own contents in the property (furnishings, etc). They cannot insure their tenant's contents as they (the landlord) do not have any insurable interest in them.

If he told you he could insure your contents in the property before/when you moved in, that is definitely something to take him to task on, especially with relation to what is on the paperwork.

For what it's worth, contents only insurance for your average lot (€10-25k contents) rarely comes to more than €10-15/mo.
    happyholly wrote: »
    can anyone help me out i lost my wedding ring recently and reported to my home insurrance company, went through all the steps involved etc. turns out my ring has increased in value (platinum gone through the roof) prob is now that the insurrance company wont make up the difference. ie the ring cost me 2000 cost to replace is 3000. they say when i got cover in apr this year the ring was valued at 2000, now that its gone up they wont pay up. anybody help me thanks
    Yep. If you only insure it for [XXX amount], they will onyl cover it for that much.

Insurance is so dodgy in so many ways though, how some of it is legal I do not know. For example - if you insure something for [XXX amount] and it is worth less, even if it gets damaged/lost/whatever the very next day, they will only pay you what it is worth and not what you valued it at.

---

Advise to anyone else: LOWER your buildings insured, lots of people don't seem to know it, but rebuild costs have plummetted along with labour demand in the last few years. Also NEVER renew with the same company too much - they will (and this is a promise, they will) increase your contents/buildings insured without even telling you. Whenever I get a call from somebody who has been with the same company for 5+ years, it is an automatic sale because they wind up vastly over-insured. Essentially, they are punishing rather than rewarding your loyalty... and if you think that loyalty will come back to help you in the event of a claim or anything like that, you are very sadly mistaken.

Another rule of thumb: EVERY time ANY insurance comes up for renewal, get the quote off them and give it a day or two. Then tell your current company you got a €20-30 cheaper quote elsewhere, and just watch that money magically vanish. It is so crooked as to be unreal. If you current company cannot lower their cost in any way even if it means losing you as a customer they might actually be the ones worth sticking with - it means they gave you their best price and were honest and up-front from the get-go, as opposed to trying to effectively steal from you.

Finally... DO NOT specify mobile phones in insurance policies to have insured outside the home. You'll wind up paying for that phone all over again within three years, just from the cost it adds to your insurance. Whoever sold it to you will likely insure it for less than a quarter of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Are bikes included as contents normally and are they covered if stolen outside your home? Same Q applies to lap tops? Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

nope they have to be specified on the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

does that cost extra then? Bike worth E500 and laptop is over year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

happyholly wrote: »

Same thing for gold as gold has increased in price so insurance cover has to increase also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

My daughters house (student accomodation) was broken into last week and her laptop and rent money €200 & another €100 was stolen. The other girls in the house, all 4 of them also had laptops stolen. I checked with my own home insurance and they sent a claim form. I'm just wondering if it's worth claiming as our no claims will be affected and we also have €250 excess on policy. The laptop is 2 1/2 years old, cost €450 originally. Our no claims is worth €140. I suppose I should wait until I see what the insurance offers us, its been expensive though to replace the laptop, paid €499 today and had to pay €200 rent last week the day after money had been stolen. To make matters worse, her landlady rang us yesterday to say that the house has been broken into again at the weekend when the house was empty, not sure whats been taken this time but assume if anything else has gone that I can't put it on original claim as it's two separate incidents? :(

Advertisement