Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun repair

Options
  • 01-09-2011 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Have an Astra side by side double barrel shotgun. Possibly about 60 years old. There's a bit of movement between the barrels and the stock when closed and open because of a loose hinge pin or something. Also safety doesn't seem to work. The wooden stock is cracked almost in two, held together with tape.

Someone told me that when the hinge pin is loose the gun is fecked. I'd like to get it restored, anyone any ideas on how much it would cost to restore it to full working order and refinished or is it beyond repair at this stage ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

The hinge pin can be replaced with an oversize pin, being as old as is the headspace should also be checked (this will be part of replacing the hinge pin)

The safety may only be a broken part but there may not be parts made for it any more.

Depending on where the stock is broken though will depend on wheather or not it can be fixed....

Cost wise... it depends on parts and the smith

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

The only way to know for sure is to take it to a gunsmith for him to look at. Alot of people will give you an opinion but only a gunsmith can give you a proper estimate :-)

Mezamo wrote: »
    The only way to know for sure is to take it to a gunsmith for him to look at. Alot of people will give you an opinion but only a gunsmith can give you a proper estimate :-)

Ouch... :P That hurt :)

Where as I cannot tell the cost/services any particluar smith provides as it is up to them, I am however an armourer/gunsmith who gave my opinion that it could be done subject to conditions listed in my previous post.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cruisedub1

Skunkle wrote: »
    Have an Astra side by side double barrel shotgun. Possibly about 60 years old. There's a bit of movement between the barrels and the stock when closed and open because of a loose hinge pin or something. Also safety doesn't seem to work. The wooden stock is cracked almost in two, held together with tape.

Someone told me that when the hinge pin is loose the gun is fecked. I'd like to get it restored, anyone any ideas on how much it would cost to restore it to full working order and refinished or is it beyond repair at this stage ?

Parts for Astra shotguns are extremely hard to find , even here in the U.S. Fixing it is probably going to be difficult and expensive and as Astra are not known for their quality would not be worth the trouble .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sounds like the gun done all that was asked of it and more over the last 60 years , why not retire it and get a new side by side ? There are some lovely sxs's on dealers shelves for very reasonable money. An aya boxlock or baikal should be a good replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

rowa wrote: »
    Sounds like the gun done all that was asked of it and more over the last 60 years , why not retire it and get a new side by side ? There are some lovely sxs's on dealers shelves for very reasonable money. An aya boxlock or baikal should be a good replacement.

Sentimental value, would have liked to spent the money repairing it rather than buying a new one. Can it be kept without a licence if its rigged to be incapable of firing or anything do ya know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You can have it de-comissioned by a gun smith,and stick it up over the fireplace.I'll pm you a number of a chap that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

My local firearms dealer was recently tellin me what is now involved in decommissioning a fire arm and where it was just a case of removing the firing pins its now gotten to a point where he tells me there is a welder involved. :eek:
    If it was my beloved ans sentimenally valued gun id hate to see someone take to it wit a co2..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

hrcbob wrote: »
    My local firearms dealer was recently tellin me what is now involved in decommissioning a fire arm and where it was just a case of removing the firing pins its now gotten to a point where he tells me there is a welder involved. :eek:
    If it was my beloved ans sentimenally valued gun id hate to see someone take to it wit a co2..

Probably just filling the firing pin holes with weld or something. Unless the gun smith has to weld the barrels shut it wouldnt bother me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Ouch... :P That hurt :)

Where as I cannot tell the cost/services any particluar smith provides as it is up to them, I am however an armourer/gunsmith who gave my opinion that it could be done subject to conditions listed in my previous post.

GH

Sorry Gunhappy that was not aimed at you personally ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Skunkle wrote: »
    Probably just filling the firing pin holes with weld or something. Unless the gun smith has to weld the barrels shut it wouldn't bother me much.

You put a pin the same diameter of the barrel in each side weld it up and grind it down and polish it up.
    So you are just filling in the barrels.

lb1981 wrote: »
    You put a pin the same diameter of the barrel in each side weld it up and grind it down and polish it up.
    So you are just filling in the barrels.

Its not just a matter of filling in the barrels as doing so still will leave you with an active firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Its not just a matter of filling in the barrels as doing so still will leave you with an active firearm.
    sorry a spot of weld over each pin and then buffered down aswell , one of the other fitters in work does it for his local gun shop/mate.

Advertisement