Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with IPCamera!

Options
  • 01-09-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently bought a network IPCamera to allow us keep an eye on the dog when he's alone in the house.

Here's the hardware:
    http://www.chinabuye.com/10-led-wireless-night-vision-wifi-pan-tilt-ip-camera-white

I can operate it and see it remotely when hardwired to router. Struggling to get it working on wireless network.

I'm on Eircom DSL Broadband. Played about with settings and IP addresses but no joy to date!

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

This is an integrated wireless night vision IP camera solution which employs a 1/4" color CMOS image sensor. It can offer you high quality video and two-way audio monitoring. It supports remote viewing and recording from anywhere anytime via IE browser or any other standard browsers. In addition, video can be recorded when motion is detected or according to a defined schedule. This security camera supports 90° up and down, 270 degree left to right.

Features and Specifications:
    - Day/night vision mode
    - 0.5 lux lowlux illumination
    - Compression format: M-JPEG standard
    - 10 infrared LED, automatic operate in dark environment
    - Lens: glass lens
    - Resolution: VGA (640x480) / QVGA (320x240)
    - Pan & Tilt: 270°left to right, 90°up to down
    - Network interface: RJ-45/10-100 base T
    - Network agreement: TCP/IP, FTP, SMTP, HTTP, UDP, DHCP, NIP, DDNS, UPNP, DNS, PPPOE
    - Max. frame rate: 30fps(QVGA), 30fps(VGA)
    - Alarm control: output: 1 Ch(5VDC, 2A); output: 1 Ch(close trigger)
    - Support external microphone or line-in audio input signal to send out the live sound
    - Wi-Fi Compliant with Wireless Standards IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    - Motion detection and alarm pin can be connected to external sensors to detect environmental situation
    - Support upgrading online
    - Power supply: 5V DC, 2A
    - Manufacture attached a label at the bottom of each IP Camera, it include Device ID, DDNS. When IP Camera is connected to the internet, this URL can be used to visit the device

Package included:
    1* IP camera
    1* setup disc(English User Manual Included)
    1* power adapter
    1* antenna
    1* bracket
    Package size: 18*18.8*12 cm

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Check that client isolation (or sometimes AP isolation) is turned off on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Spear wrote: »
    Check that client isolation (or sometimes AP isolation) is turned off on the router.

Had a look through the various menus but I don't see this setting. Can you help me narrow down this item?

Thanks for helping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What model router is it?

Its a ZYXEL box - need to check the specific model later when I get home.

One thing I did notice last night:

Camera supports WEP and WPA2

Router supports Static WEP/WPA PSK/WPA/WPA2-PSK/WPA2

As you can see, none match exactly. Which setting should I be using on the router? Is it a case that the router doesn't support the only available option for the camera to be used wirelessly?

Thanks.

WPA2 matches exactly and should be used in preference to WEP these days.

• Advertisement

WPA2 matches exactly and should be used in preference to WEP these days.

Thanks - I need to revisit the offerings as I see I managed to contradict myself in the last post! Thats what I get for rushing through the details and staying up too late at night!

Appreciate your feedback though.

Eircom Router is a:

Zyxel
    Model P-660HW-T1 v3

OK, so here's the details:

(1) Camera Manual states that it supports WEP and WPA2

(2) Router supports Static WEP/WPA PSK/WPA/WPA2-PSK/WPA2

(3) Dropdown list on router allows for the following selections:
    WPA2-PSK/WPA-PSK/WEP/None

So now my options are per (2) and (3) where they match.

I tried changing to WPA2-PSK but wireless didnt work at all then so reverted back to WPA-PSK.

Any clues?

WPA-PSK will do.

With the camera connected, does it show in the client list on the router?

WPA-PSK will do.

With the camera connected, does it show in the client list on the router?

Yes - it does.

• Advertisement

And can you ping the camera from the laptop/PC?

Tried the 2nd camera today just in case there was a Hardware fault. Same result. Both cameras behaving the same way.

I can connect remotely to the cameras and they work fine until I disconnect the ethernet cable from the rear, at which point the video/connection drops.

When I look at the router screen "Wireless LAN - Association List" I can see the MAC Address of the camera no problem.

I can only ping the cameras when the hardwired ethernet cable is connected directly to the router.

Bought these cameras because they should be wireless - don't want to run cables around the house. They work wired but not wireless (to date).

Help!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there anything to confirm the wireless is on on the camera?
    Is there a physical switch or a menu toggle?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is there anything to confirm the wireless is on on the camera?
    Is there a physical switch or a menu toggle?

Sorry - no.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If this is a duel device surly there must be something that turns the WiFi on or off.

If this is a duel device surly there must be something that turns the WiFi on or off.

There's a tickbox on the Camera Menu for the wireless which is "Connected". This box is ticked and the status is connected.....

Wired Connection

MAC Address: 00-10-01-10-33-F9
    IP Address Type: Dynamic IP(get by DHCP) Static IP

Wireless Connection
    WiFi Router MAC Channel Encrypt Signal WPS Status
    WPAPSK/TKIP(11b/g) 100 NO
    Connected
    Enable:

golfbgud wrote: »
    WPAPSK/TKIP(11b/g) 100 NO

Maybe the formatting is mangling things, but I can't help but read that as saying the WPA-PSK isn't working. I don't suppose screenshots are practical from the cameras?

Have you tried view this from a different PC?

Have you tried view this from a different PC?

Yes - I log onto the URL from my work pc. Works fine wit the cable hardwired. When I disconnect cable wireless doesnt seem to kick in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Have screenshots saved in a WORD doc. I cannot attach the file here. Would you be willing to send me an email address and I will send it on?

Sorry for being blunt, but if you can't do something as basic as post a screenshot, how do you expect to be able to setup an ip camera? Get someone who knows a little about pc's/networking to set it up.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sorry for being blunt, but if you can't do something as basic as post a screenshot, how do you expect to be able to setup an ip camera? Get someone who knows a little about pc's/networking to set it up.

My bad - I didn't see the attachment icon in the list....

Maybe the formatting is mangling things, but I can't help but read that as saying the WPA-PSK isn't working. I don't suppose screenshots are practical from the cameras?

Here's a few...

And another...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lostnspace

I also bought the ChinaBuye 10 LED Wireless Night Vision WIFI Camera.
    Works great while plugged into the LAN. Does not display the pages to
    enter the WiFi name and password. PDF pages 11,12 and 13 are not in
    the software. My WiFi big screen works fine with the LAN i am using....
    What am i doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

When you setup the camera up first the installation software required the camera to be plugged in to the router,it then picked up the camera for installation and you set the ip address and port number,you could then access the camera through the inner access and you logged in as admin and could control the camera ,from there you click on options and select wireless lan settings and press scan ,probably have to scan a second time,and you ssid should show,enter your wep key and press set,
    http://www.easynp.com/Download.asp?id=1
    Try downloading the manual for the F-series camera here

Lostnspace wrote: »
    I also bought the ChinaBuye 10 LED Wireless Night Vision WIFI Camera.
    Works great while plugged into the LAN. Does not display the pages to
    enter the WiFi name and password. PDF pages 11,12 and 13 are not in
    the software. My WiFi big screen works fine with the LAN i am using....
    What am i doing wrong?

What specific paragraphs from the Manual are you referring to here?

Is it the section starting here:
    "Functional description of the set-up options"

Not sure I understand what you mean by WIFI big screen??

kmepll wrote: »
    When you setup the camera up first the installation software required the camera to be plugged in to the router,it then picked up the camera for installation and you set the ip address and port number,you could then access the camera through the inner access and you logged in as admin and could control the camera ,from there you click on options and select wireless lan settings and press scan ,probably have to scan a second time,and you ssid should show,enter your wep key and press set,
    http://www.easynp.com/Download.asp?id=1
    Try downloading the manual for the F-series camera here

Yes - all that looks familiar and I have followed the manual. I can access the camera remotely at the DDNS/URL provided and it works fine, but only while it is hardwired to the router. When I pull the ethernet cable out, the wireless should work but I lose the remote connection....

I could stand on it right now!!!!!

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

Know how you feel I have two ip camera and both worked fine wirelessly but when i set up my own dyndns account and entered the setting the wifi on one wont work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lostnspace

What specific paragraphs from the Manual are you referring to here?

Is it the section starting here:
    "Functional description of the set-up options"

Not sure I understand what you mean by WIFI big screen??

Just a reference to my big flat screen tv that also has WiFi
    ruling out any trouble with LAN function. (which works fine).
    Thanks, it works fine unplugged from the LAN now. It used
    straight WEP encryption on an Actiontec router at 64 bit...
    Now that it works, may be i'll buy three more. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Update - after many hours experimentation at the week-end, I swapped out the Eircom Zyxel Router and replaced it with my old Netgear Router.

Result - I can now disconnect the ethernet cable and pick up the camera wirelessly on the internal network while I'm at home. I can see the pics as I had done when wired.
    I tried the remote logon today from work using its unique DNS URL but alas it does not work.

I must be getting closer so if anyone has any hints/tips then lets have them!

Thanks.

Advertisement