Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland Coming to Waterford

Options
  • 01-09-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Read somewhere the other day that their going to open more stores and the first 3 one of whom will be in Waterford in about 3months.

Never been in one of their stores, is it just frozen food or wha :D and do they have real bargains.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's mostly frozen stuff but they also do fresh produce as well.

It's years since I shopped in them when I lived in London and they were fine pricewise but this was before Lidl and Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Just as long as they don't bring their ash cloud I'll be happy..........groannnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

As someone who works in a factory and can't find retail work in Waterford I welcome them. Saves me moving away when I finish up in a few weeks if I got in there.

However, I'm surprised they are trying to break into the market over here. I think the Irish market is overcrowded as it is in terms of supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

ziedth wrote: »
    As someone who works in a factory and can't find retail work in Waterford I welcome them. Saves me moving away when I finish up in a few weeks if I got in there.

However, I'm surprised they are trying to break into the market over here. I think the Irish market is overcrowded as it is in terms of supermarkets.

Yea we have supermarkets every corner you turn here, wonder where it'll be location-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

michellie wrote: »
    Yea we have supermarkets every corner you turn here, wonder where it'll be location-wise?
    Ballybricken or The Quay, both the coldest spots in Waterford:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Woodgate wrote: »
    michellie wrote: »
    Ballybricken or The Quay, both the coldest spots in Waterford:D

Would love to see it go in where Besco used to be if Ballybricken IS an option? That area is starting to look it's age with so many shops ceasing to trade up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I actually have no idea how Iceland operate in the UK. Like do they go out on their own like Aldi or take a prime retail unit like say Marks & Spensers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

According to an article I read - the are trying to find locations next to main supermarkets to feed off their footfall.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Not sure how big a premises an Iceland outlet would require, but surely that empty unit next door to Kelly and Dollard (hickeys old unit) would be ideal, across from Superquinn and lidl, and the new Aldi and buylo only around the corner, Parking however may also be another issue. The space in front of K&D for cars is not the biggest of areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

I heard some months ago it was gonna be between Cost plus sofa and Buylo. Could be someone blowing smoke or ash though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Is that little frozen food shop still open that was out beside woodies? Seemed to be a mini iceland. Was never in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Asmodean wrote: »
    Is that little frozen food shop still open that was out beside woodies? Seemed to be a mini iceland. Was never in there.

Best shop ever for parties & stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

bazual wrote: »
    I heard some months ago it was gonna be between Cost plus sofa and Buylo. Could be someone blowing smoke or ash though :D

Yeah I heard that from someone aswell it was going into the empty unit between them alright, I cant wait, I love nosying around new shops, I'm such an aul one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well it seems true anyway:
    The Dublin-based AIM retail group is understood to have identified locations in towns and cities including Clonmel, Athlone, Cork, Waterford and Carlow for the initial phases of its expansion of the Iceland discount food brand in Ireland.

AIM, which was founded by India-born businessman Naeem Maniar, said last year that it expected to spend between €35m and €50m opening 40 Iceland outlets here by 2014.

The group owns the master franchise in Ireland for the UK retail business. It secured the rights to the brand in 2008 after Iceland exited the Irish market in 2005 as it attempted to refocus the chain's offering.

By late 2010 AIM had four Iceland outlets in Ireland -- all of them in Dublin. The 40 Iceland stores AIM intends opening are expected to create over 1,000 jobs.

AIM chief executive Tom Keogh said earlier this year that it was possible the 40 stores could be open in four years.

Among the other locations that have been earmarked for outlets are Ashbourne, Co Meath; Carlow, and Coolock in Dublin.

AIM has been seeking sites beside existing multiples or convenience stores in order to capitalise on the Iceland model, which isn't perceived as a direct competitor of larger operators.

Ambitious

A spokesman for Iceland said plans for a number of locations are advanced but not confirmed.

AIM was established over 20 years ago by Mr Maniar and also operates stores under the Homeware brand that sell furnishings and electrical goods. It also owns a chain of discount €2 shops. The group is also planning an ambitious expansion of those two brands.

The AIM group has received financial backing from Bank of Baroda, India's third biggest lender, as well as Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank.

- John Mulligan

Irish Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Asmodean wrote: »

me neither it don't do much business . It's always empty when I'm passing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Woman working in Buy Lo on Cork Road told my mother it was going next door to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Woman working in Buy Lo on Cork Road told my mother it was going next door to them.

Thats where I heard it aswell, assuming they'd know!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

I hear Roy Keane is managing it too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

2 things to say on this

1. whats the story with this shop opening?

2.While this topic was being talked about there were lots of people saying how great it was and how great it was for cheap processed food.

Ladies and gentlemen the current horse meat scandal should be enough proof to you all that the cheaper the food is doesnt mean its good, how can food costing 1 euro or 2 euro be made with anything but the worst and cheapest ingredients you could find and how any mother could feed their kids this is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

2 things to say on this

2.While this topic was being talked about there were lots of people saying how great it was and how great it was for cheap processed food.

Ladies and gentlemen the current horse meat scandal should be enough proof to you all that the cheaper the food is doesnt mean its good, how can food costing 1 euro or 2 euro be made with anything but the worst and cheapest ingredients you could find and how any mother could feed their kids this is beyond me.

Some people just cant afford quality food all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

2 things to say on this

+1

Hopefully this crowd will never come near the place.

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

Fruit and veg can be bought in aldi and lidl now for 50 and 60 cent, Rice is cheap as is pasta.

I dont think the question is whether people can afford it or not the question is could the parents be arsed to cook a meal where they may have to do a little bit more preparation work other than unwrapping a frozen pizza and sticking it in the oven.

Again, if you think horse meat is bad what do you think their putting in other food? its not about producing food fit for consumption the emphasis is on cutting costs increasing shelf life and sticking enough flavour enhancers in to cover up any bad taste, If i was a regular fast food eater i would be wondering when they are going to test the local chineese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

If i was a regular fast food eater i would be wondering when they are going to test the local chineese!

hey keep away from the chinese alright leave them alone

I bet theyve already got rid of the cat food and dog food they use in their meals covered up with so much curry you dont knwo what your eating:p as their expecting the inspectors!

Dont forget on a serious note they get their food from suppliers probably in a chineese wholesalers who probably get their food from china direct so you can imagine the quality of the "Chicken" they use or the "Beef" or the other ingredients, if it happened in Burger King and Super Macs what makes you so sure that the chineese and or Indian take away arent using this mystery meat?

I hope someone has sense to do a DNA inspection on their meat.

I mean do you think their puttin free range guaranteed Irish Chicken in your meal? not on your nelly! theyre using the cheapest stuff they can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

used to work in Green Isle factory, which was producing frozen pies for Iceland, GodFellas, Green Isle, Tesco.
    I'm going to tell you secret: The only difference between these brands is a box. Nothing else.

I useto work in pharmaceutical production and i can tell you there were things going on there that shouldnt have, and when the IMB came in to inspect we knew days in advance place was cleaned for 2 days everything was done to spec til they left! all things mass produced by human hand could be called into question thats just the way it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I bet theyve already got rid of the cat food and dog food they use in their meals covered up with so much curry you dont knwo what your eating:p as their expecting the inspectors!

Dont forget on a serious note they get their food from suppliers probably in a chineese wholesalers who probably get their food from china direct so you can imagine the quality of the "Chicken" they use or the "Beef" or the other ingredients, if it happened in Burger King and Super Macs what makes you so sure that the chineese and or Indian take away arent using this mystery meat?

I hope someone has sense to do a DNA inspection on their meat.

I mean do you think their puttin free range guaranteed Irish Chicken in your meal? not on your nelly! theyre using the cheapest stuff they can get!

Most of their meats would be sourced in Ireland, wouldn't be the highest grade.
    Used to deliver meat to a good few a number of years ago.

Nypd wrote: »
    Most of their meats would be sourced in Ireland, wouldn't be the highest grade.
    Used to deliver meat to a good few a number of years ago.

Well we thought most of the meat we were getting in other places were sourced in Ireland and we were told they were sourced in Ireland but they werent so you cant trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

Thats a load of horsesh1t.
    It was posted earlier that most people aren't bothered their arse to cook a proper dinner & thus resort to ready meals.

Many butchers will offer meat packs for a special price.
    I'll give you an example:

Molloy's do a €20 family deal which consists of :
    4x chicken fillets
    4 x pork chops
    1lb x mince beef
    1lb rashers
    1lb sausages
    1 x back bacon

Add in a 7.5kg bag of spuds for about €6
    2kg bag pasta €3
    2kg rice €3
    And spend another €8 on fruit & veg

For €40 you would have enough to keep the kids fed for the week and they eat healthy as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Thats a load of horsesh1t.
    It was posted earlier that most people are bothered there arse to cook a proper dinner & thus resort to ready meals.

Many butchers will offer meat packs for a special price.
    I'll give you an example:

Molloy's do a €20 family deal which consists of :
    4x chicken fillets
    4 x pork chops
    1lb x mince beef
    1lb rashers
    1lb sausages
    1 x back bacon

Add in a 7.5kg bag of spuds for about €6
    2kg bag pasta €3
    2kg rice €3
    And spend another €8 on fruit & veg

For €40 you would have enough to keep the kids fed for the week and they eat healthy as well.

What about the people who don't have 40 euros to spend on food for the week?

Advertisement