Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland Coming to Waterford

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Thats a load of horsesh1t.
    It was posted earlier that most people are bothered there arse to cook a proper dinner & thus resort to ready meals.

Many butchers will offer meat packs for a special price.
    I'll give you an example:

Molloy's do a €20 family deal which consists of :
    4x chicken fillets
    4 x pork chops
    1lb x mince beef
    1lb rashers
    1lb sausages
    1 x back bacon

Add in a 7.5kg bag of spuds for about €6
    2kg bag pasta €3
    2kg rice €3
    And spend another €8 on fruit & veg

For €40 you would have enough to keep the kids fed for the week and they eat healthy as well.

i think you wanted to say ARENT bothered in your opening statement, I agree. I think theres a huge amount of people who have kids just cos its a result of not taking precautions and therefore theyre lumped with kids, there are those who dont take precautions and dont plan kids but are delighted to have them but theres a hell of a lot of people who dont give a toss, once they have their beer money fag money and their Iphone or facebook.

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    What about the people who don't have 40 euros to spend on food for the week?

Well a McDonalds for say 2 adults and 2 kids is gonna cost ye the guts of 30 euros and thats one meal,

Theres still no excuse as said earlier, Lidl and Aldi do 50 cent offers regularly for say a bag of baby potatoes in lidl which are very nice and theres pasta bags of pasta there for less than 1 euro or there abouts, theres also Pesto that as far as the label goes doesnt contain many nasties, thats about 1 euro so theres plenty of choice for both food and veg, I still think alot of parents dont priorities what their money is going on. I know someone who has a new enough car with 3 kids and and a wife, none of them working yet they HAVE TO have the car when they clearly dont, if the car was sold they would have about 7 thousand if they were willing to accept a loss of about 2-3 grand on it, 20 years ago very few families had cars never mind 2 car families, get rid of the bill pay phones and just use top up, get rid of sky and use free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

What about the people who don't have 40 euros to spend on food for the week?

I think my post has gotten the thread a little derailed.
    They might not have €40 to spend on food but that figure was just an example, they can improvise and shop around, etc.
    They thing is that they will make sure they have money for drink/cigs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Bobbys butchers was or still is doing a €20 deal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Some people just cant afford quality food all the time.

Nonsense, eating health doesn't mean its expensive. People choose heavily processed low quality foods not because they are expensive all the time but because they take no time to prepare.

These foods are often generally more unhealthy and are effectively addictive as they contain high amounts of salt, sugar and if they don't contain sugar they contain high fructose corn syrup which is actually sweeter then sugar....you'd think this would mean they'd use less of it but they generally use more of the stuff!

You can eat healthy for very little but it takes time to prepare your food.

I've seen the frozen mince in Iceland, they look like feed pellets that you'd give to chickens. Extremely heavily processed and god knows whats in them.

• Advertisement

Yeah Corn Syrup, guess where it came from AMERICA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah Corn Syrup, guess where it came from AMERICA.

Well, mass production of it was actually invented by the Japanese but there's about 500k tonne of the stuff produced in the EU annually so it doesn't really come from America as such.

However it certainly did grow in popularity first in the USA due to massive government subsidies to the corn industry by the US Government (in a effort to make food cheaper for consumer's...thanks Nixon!), due to this HFC became extremely popular in the 1970's and 80's and at this stage its in a frightening amount of products in the states :(

Although HFC is not as widespread in Europe as in America if you look at the labels on products you buy you'll none the less come across it.

Personally I now avoid such products where I can identify HFC also known as isoglucose also known as glucose-fructose syrup.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well, mass production of it was actually invented by the Japanese but there's about 500k tonne of the stuff produced in the EU annually so it doesn't really come from America as such.

However it certainly did grow in popularity first in the USA due to massive government subsidies to the corn industry by the US Government (in a effort to make food cheaper for consumer's...thanks Nixon!), due to this HFC became extremely popular in the 1970's and 80's and at this stage its in a frightening amount of products in the states :(

Although HFC is not as widespread in Europe as in America if you look at the labels on products you buy you'll none the less come across it.

Personally I now avoid such products where I can identify HFC also known as isoglucose also known as glucose-fructose syrup.
    What does HFC stand for exactly? Its what i meant really the Americans championed it.

A friend of mine was actually on Joe Duffy or Damien Orielly as Joe wasnt there, about TARTAZINE, She noticed this written on the back of a tin of peas TARTAZINE was used to colour mushy peas but it also had written on it, may have adverse effects on children, turns out this stuff was banned in animal food in 1979 there were alot of horror stories on then about how dangerous this stuff was, so you see they dont really care what they feed you, this call raised the issue and the colourant was subsiquently taken out of food and replaced with a new colourant.

MORAL OF THE STORY READ EVERY LABEL ON FOOD, they are suppose to tell you the truth on the label!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

What does HFC stand for exactly? Its what i meant really the Americans championed it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

Iceland is klass, I lived in London last year and was on a major budget. On more than one occasion iceland came to my rescue.

They dont need a massive space as nearly everything is frozen, hense the name iceland. Id say the old besco on bally bricken could be a good location only down side is parking, unless they work out a deal with the multi story on the glen. I doubt Aldi would allow it though

• Advertisement

moose3844 wrote: »
    Iceland is klass, I lived in London last year and was on a major budget. On more than one occasion iceland came to my rescue.

They dont need a massive space as nearly everything is frozen, hense the name iceland. Id say the old besco on bally bricken could be a good location only down side is parking, unless they work out a deal with the multi story on the glen. I doubt Aldi would allow it though

I think you may have missed a bit of this discussion, They were suppose to move in to the place near McDonalds on the Cork Road, Next to Buy Lo.

It might be Klass as you say if you dont care about the quality of the meat, where it comes from, whats been done to it, by who, and from places where the food quality laws might not be as stringent as ours in Ireland and europe, that sounds strange after the horse meat scandal but it was detected and exposed, and Ireland should be proud that they were one of the few countries doing DNA testing.

Dont forget its cheap for a reason, look at the prawns in tesco they are from all over the place vietnam thailand the philipines all places I wouldnt like to be eating prawns from. I picked up a pack from an expensive Irish company and they too were from Vietnam, they must be thinking if you cant beat them join them

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

good thing i dont like prawns so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭cassette50

Iceland has not had any products test positive for horse-meat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

cassette50 wrote: »
    Iceland has not had any products test positive for horse-meat yet.

Exactly dont know why those other are speaking about them as if they have

Thats cos their meat isnt from europe its from BRAZIL Philipines Vietnam all those places, just because they havent chucked Horse Meat in with it doesnt mean its not bad for you!

The owner of ICELAND (the shop) was in the sun today saying that he wouldnt eat any ready made meals! or cheap food!:eek: says it all really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I did hear that they are moving into the Ferrybank Shopping Center? The "abandoned" one where the library is?

One of my friends recalled seeing shopfitters in there?

I did hear that they are moving into the Ferrybank Shopping Center? The "abandoned" one where the library is?

One of my friends recalled seeing shopfitters in there?

I think your friend may have seen SHOP LIFTERS in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I think Bescos would be its best location except for the car parking space, what a pity.. Used to go to Bescos for my mother years back... Their butchers were brilliant, rashers was top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The Chief Executive of Iceland was on a BBC Panorama programme last night which was focused on the scandal.

Among other massive PR errors, he had a swipe at Ireland.

Iceland "I know EXACTLY what's in these burgers. It's 78% B-E-E-F"

Reporter: "But the Irish Food Safety Authority have said that it contains H-O-R-S-E"

Iceland: "Well, that's the Irish isn't it...?"

I never shopped there before, but I certainly won't be shopping there again. He also said they didn't test for horse, but said they wouldn't test for dog or cat either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

hardybuck wrote: »
    The Chief Executive of Iceland was on a BBC Panorama programme last night which was focused on the scandal.

Reporter: "But the Irish Food Safety Authority have said that it contains H-O-R-S-E"

I never shopped there before, but I certainly won't be shopping there again. He also said they didn't test for horse, but said they wouldn't test for dog or cat either...

I saw that, he just made himself look like a total pillock doing a Ratner.

deisemum wrote: »
    I saw that, he just made himself look like a total pillock doing a Ratner.

He also said that he wouldnt eat the food and they didnt do testing for horse for cat or for dog!

There's a video of this as well
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21499945

what a muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cabaal wrote: »
    There's a video of this as well
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21499945

what a muppet!

Iceland came out and made an apology the day after, but I notice that it was from a 'company representative' rather than straight from the horses mouth....

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Iceland came out and made an apology the day after, but I notice that it was from a 'company representative' rather than straight from the horses mouth....

I'll get my coat.
    This type of comment makes me think we need a best post of the year competion in here, thats qualified into the next voting round for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Aren't you the lucky ones with so many supermarkets? Come to Kilkenny the only county without Tesco, you can't imagine the shame of the people, we have to go north east south and west to shop.
    I fonly we had a council like everyone else

Aren't you the lucky ones with so many supermarkets? Come to Kilkenny the only county without Tesco, you can't imagine the shame of the people, we have to go north east south and west to shop.
    I fonly we had a council like everyone else

Ye have dunnes and lidl dont ye!

Ye have dunnes and lidl dont ye!

Still no sign of Iceland yet:D

Advertisement