Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike hit today

• 01-09-2011 8:34pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

had a knock this afternoon. I am physically fine.
    Lady in car - never turned to see if the way was clear.
    The traffic was stopped and I was traveling along the kerbside.
    She never look right and hit me as I passed the front of her car as she was coming out of a t-junction.
    The car had moved about 5 feet so it was a low speed hit.

back wheel is totaled - but my brother had a look at the bike and the rear chain-stay near the back wheel has been slightly pinched where it was hit.

Got her full details - and got her to sign a note stating it was her fault, as witness' had moved on from the scene.
    reported the incident to Gardai at station.

she states she doesn't want to go through insurance (she had a valid ins cert with her) probably due to cost.
    when I rang her later this evening she asked was I on the path !!! unreal.

what next ??
    get my Lbs where it was bought to check it out ?
    new frame or new bike (trek 1.2- 1year old) ?

Thx

k

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

karltimber wrote: »
    when I rang her later this evening she asked was I on the path !!! unreal.
    Don't worry about that - the fact she was asking is probably just an indication that drivers can be in shock after something like this - she may have been going through it in her own mind to help her understand what actually happened.

I'd definitely take it to the LBS. If there's anything wrong with the frame as well as the back wheel, you probably are looking at a new bike. Sounds like she won't be arguing too much so long as she doesn't think you are taking the p!ss

Most importantly, are you OK? Sometimes you may think you've just got the odd cut and bruise when a couple of days later something more serious becomes apparent. If there is any physical damage I would suggest you get yourself looked over by a doctor asap

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Yeah - I'm fine -thx

will ring here again tomorrow and see what she says.
    But I think the best way is to go through her insurance at this stage.

don't want the hassle of dealing with her - as she was a named driver on her mothers policy.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm struggling to understand how, if she never looked LEFT as you said, she hit you coming out of a t junction. Were you on a 2 way cycle track or something? Most roads or one-way cycle tracks would have you coming from her RIGHT where she should have seen you approaching.

sorry kenmc
    you are right - my mistake - she never looked right - in my direction - apologies.

She came out of the junction whilst she was looking left - and me coming from her right.

"She never looked left" - ie my left - sorry.
    edited first post.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

condolences,
    go to a doctor before a solicitor, looks terrible the other way around.
    you shouldnt have to suffer as a result of her neligence though, if the bike is damaged i dont think its unreasonable to seek a replacement. if she gets out the gap €1k out of pocket after knocking someone over, she could consider herself lucky.

• Advertisement

update:
    lady who hit me just took ownership of my damaged bike.
    had gone to LBS and they stated the bike was now unsafe due to frame being pinched & gave invoice to show that.
    now have cash in hand and need to go shopping for a new upgraded bike :D

so thanks for the replies.
    good to have it sorted quickly.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Nice to hear that you are uninjured and have got paid for a new bike.

I guess the front wheel, brakes, seatpost, saddle, groupset, handlebars, gear / brake levers on the original bike are still in good shape.

Did the money pay for a new bike, or for the difference between a new bike and the good parts on the old bike? Did she actually take the old bike?

As per the LBS - the bike got a knock by a car.
    so any part of the bike - seat - stem - handllebars etc etc could not be guaranteed as safe to use. Esp the carbon forks.
    The trade in value is zero - hence a new bike needed.

so the driver got my damaged bike - minus all accessories and I got the full price for a new similar bike. Bike was only a year old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ever thought of making your own?;)

Beasty wrote: »
    Ever thought of making your own?;)

brings a new meaning to carbon-fibre or is it chipboard-fibre

:D:D

• Advertisement

as long as you werent hurt!

that helmet looks a bit scrope...., and that shoe doesnt look great either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I got hit by a woman in similar circumstances about 3 weeks ago. I was mildly concussed and had a lot of scratches, a black eye and brusies, burst lip etc. The only difference was that even though the woman admitted liability and took me to the nearest gp she drove off without me getting her details i.e reg, name etc. I was in such a shock that I preumed she was genuine when she took me to the GP nad said she would cover the fee. She said she would wait in the waiting room when I was finisehed being assessed but when I came out she was gone. I ended up having to fork out for not only the GP fees but also the damge done to the bike. She was taking her kids to school that morning so i tried to do my own dedective work for days following the incident to see if I could spot her coming from the same junction but twas not to be. I was rightly pissed and didn't think people could be so low:(

would you not give the Guards a bell about that one?
    If you know the car, it might have been picked up on cctv somewhere
    Sounds like she's changed her behaviour to avoid you! at the risk of being done for worrying kids, stake out one of the schools, 3 weeks later, she probably thinks she's safe.

that sickens my shtie

would you not give the Guards a bell about that one?
    If you know the car, it might have been picked up on cctv somewhere
    Sounds like she's changed her behaviour to avoid you! at the risk of being done for worrying kids, stake out one of the schools, 3 weeks later, she probably thinks she's safe.

that sickens my shtie

I rang the local guards and funnily enough the station was directly across the road from the GPs. I asked them was there street CCTV etc and they said know. They weren't very helpful tbh and the female guard I was talking to basically said if you don't have the reg theres pretty much nothing they could do. As I said I was in such a shock from being hit that i just didn't get her address, name etc at the time. Basically when she came out of the junction as I was going straight on I crahsed into her front bonnet and flew over the front of the car head and face first onto the concrete.It was a nasty crash. In hindsight it could have been a alot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

+1...... I can't believe you haven't gone to Gardai about that.

go in and ask for the super, they're public servants, dont accept bullshtie service. you'd be surprised the amount of cctv around.

Lads,

It happened about 2 1/2 years ago. Its a bit late now but thanks for the advice. If it ever happens again god forbid and I am conscious:D I will just make sure I get the reg

:confused:

"I got hit by a woman in similar circumstances about 3 weeks ago. I was mildly concussed"

reckon your temporal perception is affected!:)

:confused:

"I got hit by a woman in similar circumstances about 3 weeks ago. I was mildly concussed"

reckon your temporal perception is affected!:)

Sorry dude. I should have said about 3 years ago:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

update:
    had gone to LBS and they stated the bike was now unsafe due to frame being pinched & gave invoice to show that.

K
    You should approach the woman and ask would sell you back the bike for parts, then replace the frame and rear wheel and use it as a hack.

• Advertisement

You should approach the woman and ask would sell you back the bike for parts, then replace the frame and rear wheel and use it as a hack.

think I might just let it go.

will start mtb'ing for the winter months (have a trek mtb) - save a bit more and get a newer upgraded bike when sales start - whenever.
    should have about €1.6k odd to spend when the time is right.

thx

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

think I might just let it go.

will start mtb'ing for the winter months (have a trek mtb) - save a bit more and get a newer upgraded bike when sales start - whenever.
    should have about €1.6k odd to spend when the time is right.

thx

k

You're right.

Move one. You've escaped uninjured, with a new bike, she's escaped with her insurance NCB intact.

BTW, any note signed by her at the scene is worthless. No Insurance company will defend a note signed by someone under such circumstances. (It's a stipulation of every policy I've ever seen that one should not admit liability at the scene of an accident.)

Gophur wrote: »
    BTW, any note signed by her at the scene is worthless. No Insurance company will defend a note signed by someone under such circumstances. (It's a stipulation of every policy I've ever seen that one should not admit liability at the scene of an accident.)

never knew this - but it was better than nothing as the witness' had moved on.
    should have got a number but hard to think straight at the time.
    they might know this either - but better than nothing
    all finalized now.

K

Gophur wrote: »

It's definitely worth something, and could be taken into account by the insurers and, if necessary, the Courts when determining liabilty

It's certainly not conclusive evidence of guilt, but it does give an indication as to the views of the driver at the time of the accident

The insurers state that you should not admit guilt at the scene for this very reason. If it is admitted it makes it harder (but not necessarily impossible) for them to defend a claim

It's actually more of an issue for the driver, who potentially invalidates their own (but not their 3rd party) insurance as they are violating the terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Beasty wrote: »
    It's definitely worth something, and could be taken into account by the insurers and, if necessary, the Courts when determining liabilty

It's certainly not conclusive evidence of guilt, but it does give an indication as to the views of the driver at the time of the accident

The insurers state that you should not admit guilt at the scene for this very reason. If it is admitted it makes it harder (but not necessarily impossible) for them to defend a claim

It's actually more of an issue for the driver, who potentially invalidates their own (but not their 3rd party) insurance as they are violating the terms

It's inadmissible due to the possible pressures that may have been on (or put on) the person making the admission.

No Insurance company will stand behind such an admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You need an independent witness, always get their details. Look for CCTV in the area quickly, they often only record the last 24 hrs or 7 days, then get overwritten. If my bike (or me) was damaged I'd call a cop too. People accept liability at the scene, then 9/10 will to a u-turn on it later.

The problem with letting it go, (I did and regret when I got hit) is the driver often doesn't learn from it, and next time the cyclist might not be so lucky. If the driver has bad habits, then a big bill has a way of focusing their mind in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

update:

K

Fair credit to the driver for doing the right thing after her stupid mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

As per the LBS - the bike got a knock by a car.
    so any part of the bike - seat - stem - handllebars etc etc could not be guaranteed as safe to use. Esp the carbon forks.
    The trade in value is zero - hence a new bike needed.

so the driver got my damaged bike - minus all accessories and I got the full price for a new similar bike. Bike was only a year old.

Sorry but to me it sounds like the driver got done. What exactly did the driver get to keep from your old bike? I think the lbs saw a handy opportunity to sell a complete bike and took it. If hypothetically you crashed your bike under circumstances that did not involve a third party, would you have scrapped your entire bike or just replaced the damaged parts?

LeoD wrote: »
    Sorry but to me it sounds like the driver got done.

Last thurs I had a perfectly sound bike - an hour later the bike was worth nothing as per the lbs - since a car hit it - no-one could be sure what was damaged outside of the obvious frame & wheel damage.

The driver got away with a cheap lesson if you ask me.
    She might look next time and avoid hitting a child, bike etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Accidents happen and all that. But the Drivers lucky they didn't kill/paralyse someone tbh.

Advertisement