Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts

Options
  • 01-09-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Doing two subjects. Took the core modules. That's 20 credits.

You need 60 right?

How many subject/streams do I need to pick? Can it be 2/3?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Arts Stage 1
    In your first year (Stage 1) you take 12 modules over two semesters i.e.60 credits; you can study 3 or 4 subjects.In order to qualify to progress in a given subject you need to have taken and passed at least 10 credits(please note some subjects have additional progression rules-see below).We strongly recommend that you take 20 credits in at least one subject; many students take a further 20 credits in a second subject.The remaining 20 credits can be used to explore other subjects in a variety of ways; you can combine 10 credits of one subject with two electives, or take 10 credits in two further subjects. If you are on a denominated Arts programme (e.g. BA in History) you start out already committed to 20 credits in this area. You then choose an additional 2 or 3 subject areas.

I have Geography and Archeaology chosen. Then sociolgy yet it still says Subjects/Streams still required.

Why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

hey im havin the same problem as urself! tis very confusing!!! + now its tellin me 2 of my lectures as on at the same time and it wont let me do anything!! I tried ringing them today and no luck so will try again tomorrow?

When is arts orintation thing? how many days is it for do you know?

Whole week. Well Monday is just 2'o Clock and Friday is off I think.

So Tue, Wed, Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Arts orientation is different for everyone..

Well, its organised by surname.

I'm in the A-D section, so I'm in on Monday, but not Tuesday. I'm in Wednesday and...I can't remember Thursday.
    But some people don't have anything until Tuesday, or start at a different time to me on Monday, etc.

Go to the UCD website and click onto the incoming students section. Read the WHOLE THING.

Here it says I still have core/options to pick but my credits are all chosen, aren't they?

So what's the problem?

y0NAu.png

lumWK.png

• Advertisement

Do I need 60 credits?

Why does it say Req'd 50 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You have only picked 1 major, Archaeology according to the picture.

You have to pick 2 majors of 20 credits and one minor of 10, minimum.

Sociology and Geography, you've picked 15 credits of subjects each. So you've not picked either as a major. You have to register for Contemporary Human Geography or Irish Culture and Society to have a valid registration.

Cont. Human Geog clashes with ARCH10050 Intro archaeology of Ireland Practical

I wnated to do Archaeology and Geog as main ones. I had them down on CAO.

I've chosen Contemporary Human Geography now.

So I have 4 modules in Arc. and 4 in Geog.

It still says Core / Options still required.

Cont. Human Geog clashes with ARCH10050 Intro archaeology of Ireland Practical

I wnated to do Archaeology and Geog as main ones. I had them down on CAO.

You might have to do it as a minor then. But many classes allow you do it as a minor in first year and up it as a major in second year. You'll have to contact the school and the programme office.

• Advertisement

I've them selcted now though. See last post. Still got a problem.

You're fine now then.

All you have to do is pick your electives. 2 more classes from anywhere in UCD.

Thanks. But why this then? It still says that thing in red :(

2w9SP.png

It'll no longer be red when you pick your electives. Either that or its a bug.

Thanks.

I hope you're right.

I can now sleep for a few hours.

I love you.

Goodnight. ;)

Information about your major:

Archaeology

Please note: For students who intend to continue with Archaeology at Level 2, it will be a prerequisite to have successfully completed a minimum of two Level 1 modules. It is recommended that students intending to progress to an Archaeology degree take one or two additional level one modules.

Geography
    In order to progress to Stage 2, students must have passed two Geography modules offered at Stage 1.

Sociology
    In order to progress to Stage 2, students must have successfully completed two Sociology modules offered at Stage 1. SOC10010 'Foundation of Sociological Thought' is a compulsory module and must be passed prior to degree completion.

How do I choose a level?

Information about your major:

Archaeology

Please note: For students who intend to continue with Archaeology at Level 2, it will be a prerequisite to have successfully completed a minimum of two Level 1 modules. It is recommended that students intending to progress to an Archaeology degree take one or two additional level one modules.

Geography
    In order to progress to Stage 2, students must have passed two Geography modules offered at Stage 1.

Sociology
    In order to progress to Stage 2, students must have successfully completed two Sociology modules offered at Stage 1. SOC10010 'Foundation of Sociological Thought' is a compulsory module and must be passed prior to degree completion.

How do I choose a level?

Stage and level are the same thing, stage 1/level 1 is first year, 2 second year and so on.

So you wont be picking your majors/minors until registration for second year after you pass all your subjects.

So everything is OK there then?

So everything is OK there then?

Yep, head to bed :) everything looks fine :)

Indeed. I'll be up by 8 picking electives anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement