Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Escape 1 - What frame size?

• 01-09-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a bike online and am thinking of this one (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-escape-1-2011/) my problem is that I'm not 100% sure of what frame size to get. The online calculators are either for road or mountain bikes. Some calculators say I'm a 17" frame size, others that I'm 17"-19".

The framesizes for the Escape are S (17"), M (19"),L (21") ,XL (23").

Basically, is there that much difference between a 17" and 19" frame?

I'm 5'9" and inside leg of 30 inches.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Find it in a bike shop somewhere (or any of the giant escape series as the frame geometries are probably the same or at least very similar) and sit on it, see what size suits. I'm guessing the 19' as I'm an inch shorter than you and I always go for a medium in giants when riding on the road (I've had a lot of giants over the years).
    I've never bought a hybrid so I'm not sure but I'm guessing you should go for road fit but maybe be a bit conservative (as in don't necessarily buy the absolute biggest bike) as the geometry might be a bit more mountain bikey-slopey.

I'd want to get the right size anytime I'm buying a bike but I'd worry less about the frame size difference in a relaxed geometry hybrid then on an aggressive race or time trial bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

thanks for that Tony.

I notice that the bike is in the cyclesuperstore in tallaght so I'll head down and have a look this weekend.

Advertisement