Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining Table a different Colour to Chairs!!??

Options
  • 01-09-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has every heard of this:

I bought a set of 4 dining chairs and table in a shop two days ago. It is the type of shop that sells just about everything and refers to itself as a "Discount Depot". I seen the add in the paper for this particular set and it read

"Madison table + 4 Chairs (Walnut)"

In the picture the table and chairs where the same colour.

I purchased at a good price and it came flat packed. It was only when I had the chairs set up that I opened the box for the table and it was a completely different colour.
    The set on display in the shop was matching when I went to see it.

I rang the number provided on the advert as I presumed it had been a mistake. The man told me that the table colours varied and if I looked at the advert properly it did not say that the table was the same colour as the chairs. After some arguing he said that I could come in and choose one closer in colour to the chairs.

I'm thinking that is not good enough and they should be identical.

And of course now I cannot find the receipt!!!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Fee123 wrote: »
    In the picture the table and chairs where the same colour.
    The set on display in the shop was matching when I went to see it.

It would seem evident you made the purchase in good faith, with a reasonable expectation that the set would be matching in colour.

Did the ad make any reference to a variety of colours?

If the store had your preferred colour on display, then it is surely possible to simply replace your item. If the retailer informs you that the colour you wish for is not available, ask them to order it. If they cannot, seek a full refund.

Under the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act 1980 goods must be as described.
    There is also mention below that they must 'correspond to sample'.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/
    And of course now I cannot find the receipt!!!

If you paid by laser, that will suffice.

Advertisement