Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

export market for blues

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

limo_100 wrote: »
    anyone know the best mart in the midlands for weanlings??

A mate of mine tells me that Mountrath is good. He bypasses Roscrea to go to it with his weanlings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

no he had no chance with pat on mon i sometimes wounder why does he waste his time:D

leg wax wrote: »
    no he had no chance with pat on mon i sometimes wounder why does he waste his time:D

God grant Pat O Neill long life, good health and continued interest in weanlings.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Looking at the table published weekly in the farming indo, it does seem like the premium paid for blues over charolais and limousine has narrowed, a fair bit compared to previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Looking at the table published weekly in the farming indo, it does seem like the premium paid for blues over charolais and limousine has narrowed, a fair bit compared to previous years.

does it give average prices and average weights for the different breeds???
    and plus does the Charolais not take on average 6weeks longer to be fit for sale than the blues or limos???
    i think that the charolais is the superior of all the beef breeds

Tora Bora wrote: »

I agree that this has happened, but the exporters tonight were still targetting blues over any other breed (why ship bones when transport costs are so high). The reason the prices have closed is nothing to do with shippers, its that Irish finishers are bullish and are paying more than they did in other years. Why? Because they are eventually getting a fair price for their end product and can afford to feed this down the line. Thats just my tuppence worth on it anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

does it give average prices and average weights for the different breeds???
    and plus does the Charolais not take on average 6weeks longer to be fit for sale than the blues or limos???
    i think that the charolais is the superior of all the beef breeds

What I have seen at every wean sale this year (so two weeks) is light CH BW (200-300)going very high prices p/k. Up to 3.31. But sold to local feeders.
    Light blue heifers are unreal, up to 3.56 in one case. Can't say much about weanling men yet, some are still getting out of stock from last sales, but looks like lighter fed heifers and heavier bulls (400-500) should be this years trend. As long as they're good quality, always ring yer feckin mart beforehand to see if the ships have gone with the weather! Cause that will curtail prices a hell of a lot.

Karen112 wrote: »
    What I have seen at every wean sale this year (so two weeks) is light CH BW (200-300)going very high prices p/k. Up to 3.31. But sold to local feeders.
    Light blue heifers are unreal, up to 3.56 in one case. Can't say much about weanling men yet, some are still getting out of stock from last sales, but looks like lighter fed heifers and heavier bulls (400-500) should be this years trend. As long as they're good quality, always ring yer feckin mart beforehand to see if the ships have gone with the weather! Cause that will curtail prices a hell of a lot.

i agree there really is some fantastic prices to be got this from weanlings but i think that the gap between the charolais and blue is closing. and if the weanling market collapesed and everyone that could affort to keep the weanling kept them what would you prefer to have 20blues or 20charolais cause id prefer the charolais. does that even make sence???

i agree there really is some fantastic prices to be got this from weanlings but i think that the gap between the charolais and blue is closing. and if the weanling market collapesed and everyone that could affort to keep the weanling kept them what would you prefer to have 20blues or 20charolais cause id prefer the charolais. does that even make sence???

Currently I'd prefer 20 blue weanlings over 20 ch bullocks! However.....I can see in a year-two there being a shortage of CH stores again due to this last couple years of intensive blue Ai'ing. That said, in a yard of cattle last year I got overall champion with a CH. I moved back a bit to CH this year, plus a bit of blonde, can't do all like this year with mostly blues!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A mate of mine tells me that Mountrath is good. He bypasses Roscrea to go to it with his weanlings.

+1
    I do that as well, last time I sold cattle in roscrea there was a lot of messing going on with the order of lot numbers, later lots went in the ring before earlier ones and pissed a few ppl off.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I'd prefer 20 blue weanlings but 20 ch bullocks! Currently anyway.....I can see in a year-two there being a shortage of CH stores again due to this last couple years of intensive blue Ai'ing. That said, in a yard of cattle last year I got overall champion with a CH. I moved back a bit to CH this year, plus a bit of blonde, can't do all like this year with mostly blues!

i used alot of blue/limo/sim/and only 8char but not again from next year it will be char for the most of the cows with a mix of the rest i think. there already is a shortage of all stores lucky we have a few should sell quite nicely.

blue5000 wrote: »
    +1
    I do that as well, last time I sold cattle in roscrea there was a lot of messing going on with the order of lot numbers, later lots went in the ring before earlier ones and pissed a few ppl off.

The only time I would allow that is if a man had 2-3 three more then he booked and we added an A or X, but always, always penned them together. This was so the buyer would see them all together. If he tried to book for a neighbour however, unless cancelled numbers, we could do feck all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks Karen, in the roscrea case about 20 lots were skipped to sell about 15 lots

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Thanks Karen, in the roscrea case about 20 lots were skipped to sell about 15 lots

that drives me nuts also... Can't time your tae or plan right where you're going after etc when they keep doing that ****:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Happens in Loughrea regular too. Jebus I hate that f**kin place!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NedTheBull

It shouldn't be allowed, Mart staff seem to take advantage of helping the neighbours :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

NedTheBull wrote: »
    It shouldn't be allowed, Mart staff seem to take advantage of helping the neighbours :mad:

Ohhh! Controversial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NedTheBull

Muckit wrote: »
    Ohhh! Controversial!

Well it's not just them, but they are the ones letting the cattle in out of turn! Although what else can they do if a man like meself has a flat tire?:D

was at carnew today and i have never seen so many exporters there before,and guess who was buying blues mr tlt himself,i picked out a little white blue heifer 330kilos ,a neigbour wants one,she made 1160euro, he will have to wait.a super sale for blues for this time of year,a ch bull was bought for showing for 1600 euros.

was at carnew today and i have never seen so many exporters there before,and guess who was buying blues mr tlt himself,i picked out a little white blue heifer 330kilos ,a neigbour wants one,she made 1160euro, he will have to wait.a super sale for blues for this time of year,a ch bull was bought for showing for 1600 euros.

The usual exp's yea? (pm if not, please:confused:)You're kidding? Jesus, I'm glad I picked the right year to BB all! Great to see the good prices though, no matter where they are, we suffered losses without grants for too long.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was there for a while too. The old man had cattle out, all blues. He had 8 bulls and four heifers. They were a little bit too strong as we were locked up with TB for a 6 months and they should have been gone 8-12 weeks ago. We still got on not too bad they averaged just over €1150 per head at an average age of 11 1/2 months. Top price for the bulls was €1360, top for the heifers was €1160. Lowest price bull was €960 and €980 for the heifers.

Was that little heifer yo were looking at bred by Frank Boggan? Third prize winner on the night if I remember correctlly. Smashing animal if we are thinking of the same one.

yes that was her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Tuam mart have a reputation for best blue weanlings, big show and sale on there next monday. Hope it goes well, think I might have a prizewinner:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

red bull wrote: »
    ..... think I might have a prizewinner:D
    Any pics?

I've been at 2 or 3 marts a week for the last 2 months in Leitrim, Roscommon, Galway, Longford and Westmeath. This guy, Garavallio, who was quoted as saying that there was no market for blues anymore and that the market is now in Chaorlais cattle has been at a lot of them. Guess what?? He's buyin every blue in the place that has a bit of quality.

The old man got talking to him as he was loading last monday and asked him why the exporters put out word that there was no market for them. His reply was that too many farmers are now using blues and its making other breeds of cattle expensive for exporters to buy, and making it hard for exporters to find good quality CH or LIM weinlings.

He said that a lot of farmers haven't got a clue about breeding or quality - many will put a BB on a CH cow and it won't give the quality that the CH cow would have with a CH or a LIM bull. He said that his markets prefer "blue" BB calves as opposed to yellow or brown colours that often come off BB and LIM cows. His ideal calf will be off a Black LIM cow.

He said that many farmers are also putting BB on their poorest performing cows with the hope that they will magically have a good calf - 90% of the time they won't, but the farmer still expects a premium for the calf.

I was in Mohill last night. Weinling prices seem to be down a little bit from the week before, but the BB's appear to be holding their own, if not slightly improved. Quality determines price as opposed to age or weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

reilig wrote: »
    I've been at 2 or 3 marts a week for the last 2 months in Leitrim, Roscommon, Galway, Longford and Westmeath. This guy, Garavallio, who was quoted as saying that there was no market for blues anymore and that the market is now in Chaorlais cattle has been at a lot of them. Guess what?? He's buyin every blue in the place that has a bit of quality.

The old man got talking to him as he was loading last monday and asked him why the exporters put out word that there was no market for them. His reply was that too many farmers are now using blues and its making other breeds of cattle expensive for exporters to buy, and making it hard for exporters to find good quality CH or LIM weinlings.

He said that a lot of farmers haven't got a clue about breeding or quality - many will put a BB on a CH cow and it won't give the quality that the CH cow would have with a CH or a LIM bull. He said that his markets prefer "blue" BB calves as opposed to yellow or brown colours that often come off BB and LIM cows. His ideal calf will be off a Black LIM cow.

He said that many farmers are also putting BB on their poorest performing cows with the hope that they will magically have a good calf - 90% of the time they won't, but the farmer still expects a premium for the calf.

I was in Mohill last night. Weinling prices seem to be down a little bit from the week before, but the BB's appear to be holding their own, if not slightly improved. Quality determines price as opposed to age or weight.
    Its fairly common sense really. There was never a market for a blue if they werent good enough for the boat. The irish farmer doesnt want them anyway.

Garavallio, he's buyin every blue in the place that has a bit of quality.

His ideal calf will be off a Black LIM cow.

Quality determines price

You hit the nail on the head. Quality. If the cow is not right, then it'I take some bull for her to throw a good calf.

Black LIM eh?..... you're on the pigs back so Reilig with your Autumn calving AI blues! :D You also seem to not put 'all your eggs on the one basket'! (if I remember correctly) with the charolais bull for the spring. You still haven't told us his breeding? :rolleyes: :p

Bigger market for CH or LIM as if the exporter won't take them, the farmer will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

You hit the nail on the head. Quality. If the cow is not right, then it'I take some bull for her to throw a good calf.

Black LIM eh?..... you're on the pigs back so Reilig with your Autumn calving AI blues! :D You also seem to not put 'all your eggs on the one basket'! (if I remember correctly) with the charolais bull for the spring. You still haven't told us his breeding? :rolleyes: :p

Bigger market for CH or LIM as if the exporter won't take them, the farmer will.

Spot on. I think that charolais are the best all rounders. If you were to get held up with tb I would prefer to have a shed full of them then blues for the winter. If youre into blues you really need to be on top of your game. Have to be autumn calving really and have them 400kg plus in july and early august to hit the big bucks with them.

Spot on. I think that charolais are the best all rounders. If you were to get held up with tb I would prefer to have a shed full of them then blues for the winter. If youre into blues you really need to be on top of your game. Have to be autumn calving really and have them 400kg plus in july and early august to hit the big bucks with them.

Hope you're right! I have two smashers for Mohill next week!

Hope you're right! I have two smashers for Mohill next week!

You should have brought them to Castlerea yesterday. Heard there were serious prices in the special sale.

• Advertisement

You still haven't told us his breeding? :rolleyes: :p

Oh sorry, I thought I had. He was an embryo imported from France. Sire was Major. I don't know an awful lot about Major, but the Irish Charolais Society have him as their most expensive straw @ €125 and his has good figures on ICBF:

http://www.icbf.ie/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=MJR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Oh sorry, I thought I had. He was an embryo imported from France. Sire was Major. I don't know an awful lot about Major, but the Irish Charolais Society have him as their most expensive straw @ €125 and his has good figures on ICBF:

Any danger of a pic?:)

Bizzum wrote: »
    Any danger of a pic?:)

I'll try to get one over the weekend. He looks a bit shabby. He ran with the autumn calvers on the slats from November to February last year. He got a break until April and has been running with 20 cows since then. He lost a lot of the feeding that he had received, but he still has good muscle on show.

You should have brought them to Castlerea yesterday. Heard there were serious prices in the special sale.

Kinda hard to go to Castlerea with where I work....:rolleyes:

Kinda hard to go to Castlerea with where I work....:rolleyes:

My old man went over for a look, will fill you in on how they were going when I talk to him later. ;)

My old man went over for a look, will fill you in on how they were going when I talk to him later. ;)

That's great, thanks!:D

Major is a top bull. The 'daddy' of charolais alot would say. A good alrounder ;)

Advertisement