Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences at Institute of Education

• 01-09-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm a worried 18yr\o girl who is moving from a small mixed school into the institute of education for 6th year.This decision was made on moslty my own behalf with the full support of parents,however,i have little knowledge about the school and the differneces it holds to other places.
    Therfore i have a couple of questions which i'd really appreciate answers to

Q1.I have learning difficulties and need support,i was wondering do they really cater mostly for very gifted people or is they room for people similiarry to myself?
    Q2.Is all work based on notes and what other necessities am i required to bring other then paper and pens?
    Q3.Is there a canteen and from your own experiences were the other students friendly and approacable?Did you find it easy to make friends?
    Q4.What time should you be in the buliding by and does supervised study have additional costs?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I've never attended the actually school but I have done grinds there for the junior in the past and can tell you this
    1/2. The teachers there are really good and while I did my science grinds we did only have to bring pens as we got printed notes from the teacher (he was the author of the main science JC book so I don't know if this may affect it). I'm not the brightest person when it comes to science and the teacher did take time to answer my questions and made sure I thoroughly understood what he was talking about.

3. There is a canteen there but majority of the students tend to head out to the cafes/sandwich bars along the same street as the school. As I said never attended the school myself although friends of mine have and seemed to have gotten on really well with the other students

4. I don't think you have a set time as you design your time table so you may be in from 8:30-2:00 on a Tuesday but coming in from 1:30-4:30 on the Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hi there, I went to the Institute a few years ago for 6th year.
    First of all, the place has a really nice atmosphere, the teachers treat you more like an adult.

I remember I knew a few people there who had learning difficulties and yes, they were looked after. A lot of people that go there aren't anything special, they're not extremely smart or anything so don't think you'll be left out or neglected. They want you to do well so they'll make sure you're looked after. You also have the choice to switch classes in the first few weeks, so if you're having trouble with a certain teacher or don't like them then you can switch to another class and see how it goes for you :) You can always talk to a guidance councilor if you're really worried.

Most classes are based on notes, but you'll still need notepads and pens for taking notes. I remember we took a lot of notes in classes like Irish and A LOT in Maths class and you'll need a calculator etc for it as well. You'll find out what you need anyway.

You might also need a copy of the play you're studying in English and the Novel. I'd wait till you're there before you buy them.

The canteen is pretty small (I think there's two but I only ever found one). I'm very very very shy and I notice people often talk to you when you're sitting next to them in class, especially when you've just started because people are nervous/excited/don't know what to expect so they'll talk to you. You also find that you share certain classes with the same people and you get to know them :)

From what I can remember you have to be in the building by 9.30 unless you have an 8.30 class. You sign in every morning so they know if you're late.
    Supervised study is free!

I came from a small school before and I really loved this place. I hope you enjoy it. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to help!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a business, like any business they will look after their customers.

You will be fine. If you don't like it, you can always go to a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Worried101

Thank you so much for the replies! I understand it's a huge leap from school life to basically colliage life and a more independant approach to work and im obviosly still rather nervous but i'm now feeling a huge sense of relief and optimistic about starting! x

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Bear in mind I just completed 5th year so my knowledge is limited to that(ill be in your year :D).

To me it was a godsend school. The combination of horrible teachers and distracting people(sound though) in my last school fostered some poor habits in myself and I skipped often and was late something like 70% of the time. Coming to this school I actually want to go to school because the teachers are so great (avoid Jim Lusby like the plague though)

It's in it's own little social bubble so the people who had no friends in previous schools seem to have friends here(however this seems to come with some unmerited hubris)

Q1. The school has a reputation as one for smart or gifted people - I feel it's the contrary. People come for help to do well.

I have no experience with the learning difficulties side of it but there are a fair few that I've talked to and my girlfriend says the staff are very helpful and teachers seem to address extra points and spelling waivers etc

Q2. All work is done from the teachers own notes apart from English where books are needed(afaik from the subjects I do anyway)

Q3. There are two "lunch rooms" but nobody really uses them there's a cafe(Gerards) on site but you'll be going off with your friends into town I'd imagine.

Q.4 Youll be in for 9.30 everyday unless you have 8.30 classes(Decided by you if you do except if you do less popular classes like Classics which might screw up your schedule. For me I'd advise against them as I am not a morning person and thus am less attentive at those times.

Study is free and you'll probably have 1 or 2 in your normal school day. In 6th year afterschool study is on till like 8-9 everyday but on longer as the year progresses. It's kept very quiet and the supervisor(s) are rather nice.

Sounds like the paying me wah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Bear in mind I just completed 5th year so my knowledge is limited to that(ill be in your year :D).

To me it was a godsend school. The combination of horrible teachers and distracting people(sound though) in my last school fostered some poor habits in myself and I skipped often and was late something like 70% of the time. Coming to this school I actually want to go to school because the teachers are so great (avoid Jim Lusby like the plague though)

It's in it's own little social bubble so the people who had no friends in previous schools seem to have friends here(however this seems to come with some unmerited hubris)

Q1. The school has a reputation as one for smart or gifted people - I feel it's the contrary. People come for help to do well.

I have no experience with the learning difficulties side of it but there are a fair few that I've talked to and my girlfriend says the staff are very helpful and teachers seem to address extra points and spelling waivers etc

Q2. All work is done from the teachers own notes apart from English where books are needed(afaik from the subjects I do anyway)

Q3. There are two "lunch rooms" but nobody really uses them there's a cafe(Gerards) on site but you'll be going off with your friends into town I'd imagine.

Q.4 Youll be in for 9.30 everyday unless you have 8.30 classes(Decided by you if you do except if you do less popular classes like Classics which might screw up your schedule. For me I'd advise against them as I am not a morning person and thus am less attentive at those times.

Study is free and you'll probably have 1 or 2 in your normal school day. In 6th year afterschool study is on till like 8-9 everyday but on longer as the year progresses. It's kept very quiet and the supervisor(s) are rather nice.

Sounds like the paying me wah
    and there most famous pupils were JEDWARD !!!!! Now didnt they do well lol ;););)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Institute of Education is not a school. Has it ever claimed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

I was in the institute last year and my honest opinion of the place is that if your a smart person you will do better in the institute than your old school. I was an average student there and didn't do that well. Also the fact that the school I'd in the middle of town doesn't really help either. I know people on this might say that if you keep focused or keep your head down your not gonna get distracted but unless your very responsible your going to bunk of the odd class or have a wonder around town. Face it lads we 18 years old we don't really have te maturity to be consistent for that long. But that's my personal opinion of the place. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Hannaah

somewhat irrelevant question here but.. do you get a journal/diary book from the institute? I'm starting there this year and this is probably the last thing on my mind but was just curious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Hannaah wrote: »
    somewhat irrelevant question here but.. do you get a journal/diary book from the institute? I'm starting there this year and this is probably the last thing on my mind but was just curious :rolleyes:

The 5th years do but the 6th years don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

cordub wrote: »
    and there most famous pupils were JEDWARD !!!!! Now didnt they do well lol ;););)

Evanna Lynch was there last year too, and I don't think Jedward are the best advertisement for the Institute... :pac:
    My friend went there last year, he enjoyed it a lot! Seems to be a fairly respectable place, but I get the impression that it's a massive machine spewing out notes upon notes for learning... Not my style at all! :p
    But a lot of people go in just for 6th year, so OP, you won't be the only newbie! Enjoy yourself, and I'm sure the teachers will do their best for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 niamh17

i'm starting there as a 6th year this September too so i might see you there i'm absolutely terrified i'm really shy but i think it will be good for me i'm really excited too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Worried101 wrote: »
    I'm a worried 18yr\o girl who is moving from a small mixed school into the institute of education for 6th year.This decision was made on moslty my own behalf with the full support of parents,however,i have little knowledge about the school and the differneces it holds to other places.
    Therfore i have a couple of questions which i'd really appreciate answers to

Q1.I have learning difficulties and need support,i was wondering do they really cater mostly for very gifted people or is they room for people similiarry to myself?
    Q2.Is all work based on notes and what other necessities am i required to bring other then paper and pens?
    Q3.Is there a canteen and from your own experiences were the other students friendly and approacable?Did you find it easy to make friends?
    Q4.What time should you be in the buliding by and does supervised study have additional costs?

:)

Hey, most of these questions have already probably been answered, but sure I'll give it a go..

1. There is learning support available, if you go to the guidance counceller she should be able to give you more information about it. There's a lady in the 6th year building on the 3rd floor that will be able to help you out. There's no need to be nervous, she's lovely :) They cater for everybody, there's no need to worry, for example, in my chemistry class there was a guy with a degree in chemistry, he was treated no differently to the rest of us learning the periodic table for the first time.

2. You're provided with notes and things but you should bring copies/hardbacks/notepads (whichever you prefer) and folders (for filing purposes...not essential, but advisable for organisation) and then pens, highlighters, calculators and things you would normally bring to school.

3. Yes, there is a canteen, also a lunchroom, but most people usually end up going to cafés or head into town (for a better selection). All of the people I came across were genuinely lovely, and yes, they are very approachable, you have to remember, most of the people are in the same boat, coming to a new city/county/school not knowing anyone. The best thing you can do is turn around and talk to the person sitting next to you, like one of my teachers said - you never know you might end up marrying them

4. The building is usually open before 7 and you can go to the study hall but it is not supervised until 8.30, it goes on then until 8pm (and 9 pm later in the year) [That's from Monday to Friday, as far as I know Saturday study is only in the morning till about 2pm and Sunday study is from 1pm-6pm ... but it may have changed since I've been there]

Hope that answered your questions, any more queries, feel free to PM me :)
    polkabunny wrote: »
    Evanna Lynch was there last year too, and I don't think Jedward are the best advertisement for the Institute... :pac:
    My friend went there last year, he enjoyed it a lot! Seems to be a fairly respectable place, but I get the impression that it's a massive machine spewing out notes upon notes for learning... Not my style at all! :p
    But a lot of people go in just for 6th year, so OP, you won't be the only newbie! Enjoy yourself, and I'm sure the teachers will do their best for you :)

Bono's daughter was there a few years ago too..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭III

I'm going there too.. I still don't get what the story is with textbooks. Provide your own? or are they just not used?

III wrote: »
    I'm going there too.. I still don't get what the story is with textbooks. Provide your own? or are they just not used?

The lecturers will provide their own handouts, if you need certain textbooks they'll tell you when you've started there.

I reckon keep your books from your last school to be used for study or whatever. I wouldn't go out buying books or anything, not yet anyway

I reckon keep your books from your last school to be used for study or whatever. I wouldn't go out buying books or anything, not yet anyway

I agree, I only needed to get one book when I was there. They're mostly not used, except maybe your texts if you're doing English :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Walked into that Institute an Arts drop-out with 445 points to my name, walked out with 590 and a place in Dentistry TCD. The study hall is open until 8/9 depending on the time of year, stay until you're told to leave and you'll do just fine.

I agree, I only needed to get one book when I was there. They're mostly not used, except maybe your texts if you're doing English :)

I picked up a second hand copy of the english book from a friend and my books from my old school will be fine for revision & stuff, they're crazy if they think people will go out and buy more books.

another small question for those who have been there (questions I didn't want to ask the teachers :pac:) is there access to boiling water? I drink mammoth quantities of coffee....

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

I picked up a second hand copy of the english book from a friend and my books from my old school will be fine for revision & stuff, they're crazy if they think people will go out and buy more books.

another small question for those who have been there (questions I didn't want to ask the teachers :pac:) is there access to boiling water? I drink mammoth quantities of coffee....
    I don't think so, no. However you can get it in Gerads(which is onsite) for like 20c or free if you know them ;).. And obviously you can buy coffee made there too.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, no. However you can get it in Gerads(which is onsite) for like 20c or free if you know them ;).. And obviously you can buy coffee made there too.

Free in Bagel Factory down the road ... used to be anyway, not sure since O'Brien's took it over... used to always go in to get hot water for my Lemsips :p

Free in Bagel Factory down the road ... used to be anyway, not sure since O'Brien's took it over... used to always go in to get hot water for my Lemsips tongue.gif

I'm sure the odd lempsip they'd give free boiling water for.. not sure about multiple coffees a day. I can stretch to 20c though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Just a heads up.. If a tall blonde girl comes up to you and obnoxiously starts a stupid conversation, it's probably me!

Let's keep it vaguely 'education' related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sj17

Im 17 and in 5th year at the moment.. Im in the same position you were!! ive decided i want to move to the institute in september to do 6th year there! Im excited about moving but also really nervous about making new friends, im afraid every body has already formed there groups and cliques after spending a year together! Im kind of shy and i hate being on my own, like im going to be so nervous on my first day, where do i have lunch etc! Also, would I be really behind because i missed 5th year there, and my school probably covered different topics at different times to the institute! Any advice would really help :) thanks

sj17 wrote: »
    Im 17 and in 5th year at the moment.. Im in the same position you were!! ive decided i want to move to the institute in september to do 6th year there! Im excited about moving but also really nervous about making new friends, im afraid every body has already formed there groups and cliques after spending a year together! Im kind of shy and i hate being on my own, like im going to be so nervous on my first day, where do i have lunch etc! Also, would I be really behind because i missed 5th year there, and my school probably covered different topics at different times to the institute! Any advice would really help :) thanks

Hi, I've already posted on this thread before but I will say that I had almost the exact worries as you do now.
    There will be tonnes of new people starting 6th year there, probably more than will be coming from 5th year in the Institute so you'll all be in the same boat.

The school is designed to help people from other schools coming into 6th year so they'll either cover what you learnt last year or completely start you from scratch on something new. I started studying new poets and novels when I went there and found it easy to do. You have a few teachers to choose from so you can find ones to suit you :)

Remember on your first few days there will be lots of nervous people sitting with you in your classes, try talk to each other etc and you'll see it's easy to make friends there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sj17

thank you so much @Saaron , your advice helped :)

Advertisement