Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Project titles;

• 01-09-2011 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Well lads,
    I'm in TY at the moment, but my History teacher wants us to think of a few topic titles that we could do for a project on the leaving cert history so that we're prepared for it.. I've come up with a few ideas, but I'm not sure if some of them are suitable for the project.
    • Assassination of JFK and the conspiracies surrounding it
    • Assassination of Franz Ferdinand and the effects it had on the world
    • Cold War - Mostly the secret war between the KGB and CIA
    • Nostradamus
    • The Illuminati
    I know that the first 3 should be okay to use, but its the last 2 that I'm iffy about; especially The Illuminati.

Do you think I'd be able to use all of these as possible titles?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

The general premise is that you're supposed to set a question in your title and answer it by doing your project. So, for example, you'd have a title such as: "Why was the Easter Rising a failure?" and through your project you'd explore the reasons for its military failure.
    It doesn't have to be a question, but you have to focus on a specific event in history, like you're doing in your first two titles there.
    For the other three, you'd have to go with something like:
    - "How did the secret conflict between the KGB and the CIA affect the outcome of the Cold War?"
    - "To what degree were the prophecies of Nostradamus accurate predictions of historical events?"
    - "The Illuminati and their effect on the policies of the Catholic Church throughout history."

If you catch my drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ghostx wrote: »
    • The Illuminati
    Really, don't!

It's history, not conspiracy theories!! :)

Try to pick something quite specific with a reasonable amount of source material.

It might be worth noting that every year the examiners highlight with regret the low numbers of Irish LOCAL history projects.

And ... get it done early, don't put it off 'til the last minute! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I did the 1989 Tiananmen Square Student Protests. Really interesting topic to do I found. Read the book "The Rape of Peking", its brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

It might be worth noting that every year the examiners highlight with regret the low numbers of Irish LOCAL history projects.

agree with this. of the 3 people I know who got A1s in higher history over the different years, they all had a local history topic. choose something local to the area, use your sources as local newspapers & historians. Examiners are history buffs too and they usually love to hear about unusual topics of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

agree with this. of the 3 people I know who got A1s in higher history over the different years, they all had a local history topic. choose something local to the area, use your sources as local newspapers & historians. Examiners are history buffs too and they usually love to hear about unusual topics of history.

Yeah, I did my project on my great-great-grandfather and how he was involved in the Plan of Campaign (with lovely Primary Source newspaper articles, which they apparently LOVE) and I mysteriously jumped from a C average to a B1 (wahey! And I don't think my exam was B1 standard on its own *long pause* Okay... I didn't finish it!).

Yeah, local history is the way to go - just be careful you aren't biased and get a proper viewpoint from all sides. Also, you know everyone else is doing that topic.

Also, NEVER do The Illuminati - my teacher said the corrector would think you had a brain ravaged my hash, which I think is a tad harsh, but she probably knows what's she's talking bout!

Also, I think JFK's been done to death... em, I mean, er, y'know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Faunge

just did lc this year, got an a1 in history did my project on a local history event,my teacher told me local topics stand out more to the examiner because they havent been overdone as things such as JFK's assination has for example and the odds are you'l be the only one doing this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mine was titled: How the Berlin Wall was erected on the night of August 13th 1961

Was looking at my papers today and it got 93 which isnt bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Rasputin

Given him as a suggestion by my teacher and ended up being the only person in my class to love doing their project.

Even if you don't like Russian history, this guy is ten times more interesting than the usual JFK/Titanic projects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

I think the title I did was the death of Marilyn Monroe and its impact on society, it was an interesting topic but difficult as I had to ensure to keep all content relevant to requirements and this wasn't easy. I think the majority of my class at the time did local history topics and all scored really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Just thought id give my little bit of experience here :D I did my project on New Zealand. It was pretty hard to find good information from books so I took 3 websites. My project was pretty straight forward but my history teacher was worried, since not many people choose New Zealand as an area for a project. I Thought id do reasonably well because i love New Zealand. Turnes out i got 92. I was delighted to say the least! So my advice would be to keep it simple and pick something you like and would find easy to gather good information on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 BornToRun75

I was thinking of doing mine on the influence of the vietnam war and civil rights movement on popular culture/music... im really interested in music from that era but i cant find many sources!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hulk Hogan

I done the Munich Massacre and got 100, nice topic, plenty of info available and it's actually interesting too

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

[/QUOTE]

is jfk not a key personality? u can't do a project on him in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

is jfk not a key personality? u can't do a project on him in that case[/QUOTE]

He's definitely done a lot isn't he? I don't think he is? :pac: Maybe he is like for the last year or two?

I was looking through my papers (I wouldn't call it 'rechecking' as I erm, wasn't rechecking them as HEAR gave me my place :P), and I got 98% on my project! :D So, local history! Well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I only got 96% in my project, but I'd advise very specific titles. Mine was the Early Life of Tito and his role in Yugoslav Resistance (up to 1945).

The more specific you go, the more detailed you can be...and it's a lot easier to know what to include and what to leave out.

I'd also advise against the Illuminati, you're better off doing solid history. Stuff like Rasputin is a good idea. I'd have loved to look at his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

I did Josef Mengele one of the doctors in Auschwitz and scored 96%! Was delighted and I found the topic really interesting.. A bit gory though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 niamh17

the first two ae probably the easiest to write about and sources about

• Registered Users Posts: 23 seancoistine

The Irish Brigade in the French army. My father is into geneology, got to know a distant relative in Australia who had a lot French and American material on it.. All relating to an even more distant relative who was in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cinnemaroll

First off id be really carefull your project isnt already on the course- so mabey look at some of the more obscure aspects/events in the cold war.

Also try to pick something which you have a personal connection to as you'll need to explain why you chose the topic in the booklet. A family member/home town tie-in always goes down well!

finally if possible have an extremely narrow viewpoint, theres a 1200-1500 word limit and its always better to examine something in debt rather than skim the surface
    your ideas so far sound interesting, good luck :D

Advertisement