Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance claim

Options
  • 01-09-2011 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm just looking for some advice if anyone can help.
    My wife tipped the rear bumper of another car in June. They swapped name/address etc. and agreed that the other driver would contact us when she had a quote from a garage (a small dent in the bumper, no other damage). We didn't hear a thing until getting a letter this morning from the lady's insurance company looking for full reimbursement of €1,400. My wife rang the the insurance company and was told that the woman had had the car fixed and that they had reimbursed her. He refused to provide a full invoice from the garage showing what was done.
    A couple of things worry me here. Firstly I am not sure that the damage warranted a €1,400 repair bill, but more importantly I always assumed that if the ultimate claim is made against us our insurance company should sign off on quotes before repairs are carried out?

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'll be ringing my insurance company tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone here could throw some light on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

kin9pin wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm just looking for some advice if anyone can help.
    My wife tipped the rear bumper of another car in June. They swapped name/address etc. and agreed that the other driver would contact us when she had a quote from a garage (a small dent in the bumper, no other damage). We didn't hear a thing until getting a letter this morning from the lady's insurance company looking for full reimbursement of €1,400. My wife rang the the insurance company and was told that the woman had had the car fixed and that they had reimbursed her. He refused to provide a full invoice from the garage showing what was done.
    A couple of things worry me here. Firstly I am not sure that the damage warranted a €1,400 repair bill, but more importantly I always assumed that if the ultimate claim is made against us our insurance company should sign off on quotes before repairs are carried out?

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'll be ringing my insurance company tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone here could throw some light on this.

Thanks

I had something similar done years ago but at the time I know the advice given to me was to get three quotes in writing before it was agreed I was to receive payment organised before fixing the car and insurance were to look at car.

Though in the end we sorted thing out ourselves without involving insurance no drama, he agreed to pay for damage and all was well think about a 1200 at the time and Toyota were looking for 3thousand even I knew that was ridiculous so settled at the thou got the job done and it was perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ssvectra

I would say you are entitled to this information under the data protection act as it concerns you. the insurance company have no right to withhold this information from you sounds a bit dodgy to me. you will pay for it with your no claims bonus next year my advice to you is contact the data protection commish or put in freedom of information request to the insurance company it will only cost you €6.35 also check out the insurance companies standard code of practice on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ssvectra wrote: »
    I would say you are entitled to this information under the data protection act as it concerns you. the insurance company have no right to withhold this information from you sounds a bit dodgy to me. you will pay for it with your no claims bonus next year my advice to you is contact the data protection commish or put in freedom of information request to the insurance company it will only cost you €6.35 also check out the insurance companies standard code of practice on the net.
    I would have to agree with this, something seems amiss. That said, I work primarily on new business and sales so don't take that as gospel!

For what it's worth, €1,400 is actually not that serious a claim at all. It's actually negligible for car insurance. It is important to check what kind of bonus protection you have - if you are fully protected, your insurance likely won't go up by more than €10-20, if at all, over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would have to agree with this, something seems amiss. That said, I work primarily on new business and sales so don't take that as gospel!

For what it's worth, €1,400 is actually not that serious a claim at all. It's actually negligible for car insurance. It is important to check what kind of bonus protection you have - if you are fully protected, your insurance likely won't go up by more than €10-20, if at all, over this.

By purchasing an insurance policy it means that an insurance company grants you an indemnity against any claims made against you during the period of cover. This means that when a claim occurs that your insurance company may deal with the claim in any way that is sees fit. You as the policyholder can do nothing about this. This is one of the basic rules/laws/principles of insurance

• Advertisement
Advertisement