Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE DRIVE CAREFULLY IN THE RAIN!!

• 01-09-2011 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭

just happened to be crossing the zebra crossing there near Steamboat Quay on the Dock Road when the woman in the car in front (who had stopped to let me cross) was shunted by the driver of the car behind, pushing her onto the zebra crossing.fortunately nobody was injured in this case.

and she wasn't speeding either, just that the road was rather slippery from the rain. no damage was done to either car.

just a word of caution to be extra careful out there tonight if you do have to go driving.

Image358.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

The effect of rain on roads made greasy after a long dry spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It's raining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

No rain out in CHM either - YET!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

xsiborg wrote: »
    just happened to be crossing the zebra crossing there near Steamboat Quay on the Dock Road when the woman in the car in front (who had stopped to let me cross) was shunted by the driver of the car behind, pushing her onto the zebra crossing.fortunately nobody was injured in this case.

and she wasn't speeding either, just that the road was rather slippery from the rain. no damage was done to either car.

just a word of caution to be extra careful out there tonight if you do have to go driving.

Image358.jpg

Dirty drizzle out there at the moment.

If your woman behind left enough space and was concentrating on the road she would have avoided the shunt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

oleras wrote: »
    Dirty drizzle out there at the moment.

If your woman behind was concentrating on the road she would have avoided the shunt imo.

Yeah Xsiborg - You really should wear pants.......

Seriously though Tailgaters are Vermin, they should be culled if they can't just get the point :(

- Also I think both drivers were fortunate to have previously covered their entire heads in Tumble-Dryer Fluff - Prob saved them from serious injury.

* Was wondering this morning when the rain started after having spent the whole evening spraying weedkiller FML.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

looks like rubberbandits were driving both cars over the head being cut out haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Though you do have to admit putting pedestrian crossings on roundabouts is uber-genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Xennon wrote: »
    Though you do have to admit putting pedestrian crossings on roundabouts is uber-genius.

In fairness this crossing is far enough away from the roundabout and as far as I can tell, the cars were approching the roundabout, not exiting it so it would be very hard to portion blame on the location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I've been waiting for this to happen. A lot of drivers ignore the crossing completely. The one on the bridge is very dangerous, its too close to the roundabout. I was driving last night in very bad rain and the roads were like ice. Extremely greasy.

BESman wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this to happen. A lot of drivers ignore the crossing completely. The one on the bridge is very dangerous, its too close to the roundabout. I was driving last night in very bad rain and the roads were like ice. Extremely greasy.

While they are close, how many vehicles pass there on a daily basis and how many accidents actually happen because of the crossings, my guess is it's a very low percentage. I use this one and the Parkway roundabout once or twice a day and I've never seen an accident on either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

phog wrote: »
    While they are close, how many vehicles pass there on a daily basis and how many accidents actually happen because of the crossings, my guess is it's a very low percentage. I use this one and the Parkway roundabout once or twice a day and I've never seen an accident on either.

This one on the Dock Road is fine, I think people drive too fast on this stretch anyway so its an effective way to control speed. I think the one further up on the bridge just off the roundabout is a bit too close to the roundabout so it can quickly cause a buildup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Image358.jpg

What about all the pedestrians who ignore pedestrian crossings and and walk accross busy roads without a care in the world. PLEASE WALK CAREFULLY ALL THE TIME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

perhaps you missed this bit in the OP-
    the woman in the car in front (who had stopped to let me cross)

i waited until she had stopped before i crossed the road, and i was already across the road when i looked behind me when i heard the squeal of brakes, but the car behind just seemed to slip forward as it tried to brake. the woman in front had not yet moved off when she was shunted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I would imagine she's probably driving on barely legal tyres or new cheap tyres.It really is a false economy,they're all thats between you and the road and well the majority of them are terrible in the wet

DON'T SKIMP ON YOUR TYRES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I would imagine she's probably driving on barely legal tyres or new cheap tyres...

You can't make that assumption! While dodgy tyres can be a contributory factor, 99.9% of accidents are caused by people driving in a manner unsuitable for the weather or traffic e.g. speeding on greasy/icy roads, tailgating, not paying attention to what they're doing etc.

I had someone run into the back of me years ago on the Parkway roundabout - I had gone onto the roundabout (coming in from Castletroy), and the car in front of me was forced to stop. I stopped safely behind them and I was shunted from behind by someone who more than likely wasn't paying full attention. The road was dry at the time.

The pedestrian crossing at the Castletroy side of the Groody roundabout is similar in that many people head onto the roundabout then accelerate out of it to go up the hill only to find that the car(s) in front of them have had to stop to let a pedestrian cross. I've seen lots of people accelerate onto the roundabout to get ahead of cars coming from the right (direction of B&Q) so they're going faster than normal going around. There will definitely be an accident there if there hasn't already been one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Delphi91 wrote: »
    You can't make that assumption! While dodgy tyres can be a contributory factor, 99.9% of accidents are caused by people driving in a manner unsuitable for the weather or traffic e.g. speeding on greasy/icy roads, tailgating, not paying attention to what they're doing etc.

Please don't make up statistics ;)

:D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

73.84% of statistics are made up on the spot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

MarkR wrote: »
    73.84% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Shockingly, only 19% of people are aware of this! :eek:

Serious answer time.

Check the condition of your tyres before driving. Prepare to slow down and break a bit earlier to compensate for the wet road surface. Be alert, and make yourself aware of upcoming roundabouts and pedestrian crossings.

Pedestrians, traverse the road at an appropriate spot and look before crossing.

It's just common sense, but sure we all know how rare that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Shockingly, only 19% of people are aware of this! :eek:

Serious answer time.

Check the condition of your tyres before driving. Prepare to slow down and break a bit earlier to compensate for the wet road surface. Be alert, and make yourself aware of upcoming roundabouts and pedestrian crossings.

Pedestrians, traverse the road at an appropriate spot and look before crossing.

It's just common sense, but sure we all know how rare that is!

Please follow IO's advice on all roads bar the stretch of the South Circular road near Mary I.

That particular stretch calls for some serious acceleration and kerb mounting should a certain individual be seen.

This has been a Public Service Broadcast on behalf of Kill Swan Boy PLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Just heard there was a fatal crash outside TK Maxxs apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

OK, let me rephrase it - "it is my opinion (not backed up by statistical figures) that most accidents appear to be caused by ...", etc :D

Advertisement